New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Filter System

andy1100xx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filter System

hi all
After many years away I've discovered my love for photography again and have recently updated my old equipment to some new quality kit. I have found this forum invaluable in selecting what gear to get so thanks to all.

My next required buy is a filter system. I've decided on a mount/adaptor system as I have lenses of different diameters. After looking through the archives it looks as though some people seem to have met a food cost/quality compromise by using the Cokin P mount (cheap but good) with better quality filters from companies like Lee. However, all the info i can find indicates that they are different sizes (Cokin P = 85mm, Lee filters 100mm). Am I missing something here? Can they be used together?

Also, any general opinions on the best value filter systems etc would be useful. I am not a pro and I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I do want something that will give good results.

Thanks in advance for any advice
AndyD

Jan 19, 2005 at 05:40 AM
Ned Fenimore
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filter System

I just purchased my filters and Cokin P holder recently. I can speak from my research that the filters from Lee are a little less than say, Singh Ray - but the holder is expensive. The Cokin is very inexpensive, and appears to be fine for the job. I went with the Cokin P and two of the Singh Ray neutral grads. The two filters, P holder and adaptor ring was about $220 or so. The filters for the P series are 85 mm, but are a lot longer in length, allowing a range of movement in the holder. It seems to be perfectly adequate with the lenses listed in my byline. I picked Singh Ray because they can be counted upon for f/stop accuracy.

By the way, I went with a 2 stop and 3 stop soft graduation on both filters.

Jan 19, 2005 at 06:20 AM
andy1100xx
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filter System

So it looks as though the Cokin and Lee are not compapible but the Singh-ray gives a quality alternative. Thanks Ned

Mind you, after looking at the Singh polariser at $160....

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:06 AM
Ned Fenimore
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filter System

Well, I guess it all depends on the filter sizes you will use. A friend I have uses a non-Simgh Ray polarizer with his set-up and has no vignetting problems that I am aware of. I'll probably do the same, continuing to use my B+W.

Jan 19, 2005 at 01:50 PM
Pete Wilson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filter System

Several filter companys make filters that will fit the Cokin P size holders:

Singh-Ray, Lee, Hitech and of course Cokin. They all make "P" size filters. Check out the following source for filters.

www.2filter.com

Jan 19, 2005 at 02:08 PM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filter System

I purchased the Cokin P holder and two grads a few years ago but never have really used it. Originally it was purchased to be used with a Hasselblad. However, I wanted a lens hood to go along with the filter holder, and there did not seem to be a compatible one for the P system. After much deliberation, I purchased the Lee system, (that I have found to be a well-made unit). Although the Hassy is now gone, I kept the Lee system, as it can be used with almost any lens. All my lenses (except the 50mm) take 77mm size filters, and the Lee easily accommodates that size. I'm not sure how well the P system would work with a wide angle lens; however, since so many have been sold, there are probably very few problems. If you go with the Lee filter AND hood system and its 4" filters (Hitech, Lee, etc.), that size would likely cover you well for a range of lenses. Three drawbacks of Lee are (1) the lens hood, although rigid, does not have a a scale that indicates how far to extend the hood (as does the Hasselblad professional lens hood). So there is some guessing, especially when using the wider lenses. (2) The hood can rotate during use, further causing vignetting problems. (3) It is large and bulky, compared with the dedicated Canon lens hoods. (However, when collapsed, it is thinner than some of the Canon hoods. Cokin also makes a professional-size "X-Pro" system (or at least they did a few years ago) if you want larger filters.

Jan 19, 2005 at 03:54 PM
andy1100xx
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Filter System

H.Hoolee

That is a very good point that I hadn't thought of. How do you fit your lens hood when using the Cokin system?
AndyD

Jan 23, 2005 at 01:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Filter System

In that I am no longer looking for another lens hood system, I have not been keeping up with whatever new developments there may be since I purchased my filter and lens hood equipment. I had purchsed the Cokin P when I thought I might be returning to 35mm film photography. Then I purchased the Hasselblad, followed by two Canon SLRs. After I sold the Hassy, I purchased the Lee. I think there may be a cokin-P-style lens hood (made by Cokin or another manufacturer) that will fit on to the front of the Cokin holder. Otherwise, I do not know how one could use a hood with the Cokin system. That's what I like about the Lee system. The filter holder takes 4 inch filters and can accommodate different formats (35mm, MF and larger) with just the change of an adapter ring. And the Lee holder can be used with at least two lens hoods (normal and wide angle). Although pricey, they are quite versatile. When I use my graduated filters (and frankly, I do not use them that often), I use the Lee hood. If not, then I use the standard Canon hoods. I hope this helps.

Jan 23, 2005 at 04:00 PM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Filter System

Apart from a Polarizer and possibly ND stuff if you are shooting with very fast lenses wide open do you really need to bother with a filter system at all as you can do so much in PS.

Sure if you REALLY need it --and for film there wasn't really any other way but with digital --.A computer is probably a better option than a load of special effect filters with the exceptions outlined above.

I always remember having to use Blue / other filters in my film days to adjust for tungsten lighting etc and as for fluorescent lights and no flash --what a pain --but digital --normally no probs even if you have to mess around with the WB which fortunately you shouldn't have to do too often.

Cheers
-K

Jan 23, 2005 at 04:10 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Filter System

optical diameter of a P-system singh-ray polarizer is around 72mm, and vignettes on my 15-30 on a 1.6x crop camera. It works fine on the 17-40 with 77mm thread though.

P-system doesn't work well with super-wide lenses with large diameters. Even though it officially supports up to 82mm lens threads, you may find some vignetting, even after you do the "saw-off-the-outer-holders" trick. 77mm may be ok on a 1.6x crop, but I don't know if there'll be vignetting on a 1.3x or 1x crop camera.

Jan 23, 2005 at 04:28 PM
andy1100xx
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Filter System

Kyle
Absolutely agree. I only really want it for the polariser. I initially thought that the Cokin type system would be cheaper as it would be more flexible with a variety of leans diameters but there seem to be more drawbacks than benefits so I'm now leaning towards the standard scew in type. For my current lenses and those that I might get in the future the diamaters are mostly 67 or 77 anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

AndyD

Jan 24, 2005 at 05:14 AM
dan
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Filter System

If you are only getting a polarizer,
Why not try a 77mm CP-L + 67mm to 77mm step-up ring?

-----
dan

Jan 24, 2005 at 07:45 PM
andy1100xx
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Filter System

Dan

You read my mind. The step-up ring is pretty good value - a B+W comes in at around $20.
Off to the shops....
Andy

Jan 25, 2005 at 06:00 AM
Ned Fenimore
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Filter System

Andy - my first shots with my Singh-Rays:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/175129

I thought photo 3 was the best - Ned

Jan 26, 2005 at 06:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell