FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2005 · Tata for now

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tata for now

Goodluck Doc. BTW..this is a perfect parting shot. hope to see you back in June.

Jan 12, 2005 at 06:53 PM
Mark Schapper
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tata for now

All the best Mahesh!
Great, great shot!

Mark

Jan 12, 2005 at 08:14 PM
pcd72
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tata for now

Amazing shot Mahesh, I hope you are going to get a huge print from it (and all the pixels you have here).
Just one question. Did you use some knd of pano head for your 3 shot pano?
Can't wait to see more from you.
Pascal.

Jan 12, 2005 at 08:17 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tata for now

Mahesh, wonderful farewell shot, good luck.

Jan 12, 2005 at 08:22 PM
jjgekas
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Tata for now

Wonderful image, Mahesh. One of THE best ones of the arch that I have seen. I loved the photo trip you have shared with us and will be patiently (no pun intended ) awaiting your return.

Best of luck.

Jan 12, 2005 at 08:42 PM
JennyS

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Tata for now

Good luck and hurry back! This is an unbelievably beautiful image, BTW. I recently saw an image of this arch taken by the local professional photographer named Tom Till who lives in Moab, Utah and your version blows his out of the water!

Jan 14, 2005 at 02:54 PM
freefly
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Tata for now

Best luck to you my friend! If you do as half as good in your board exam as you do in photography, then I have no doubt that you finish it with A+++ Great shot and for me it is the best from you so far. Excellent composition with fantastic elements and awesome colors. wow wow wow ...

Dieter

Jan 14, 2005 at 03:52 PM
NewSushi
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Tata for now

Wow. You certainly have no qualms with saving the best for last...

This is the best photograph I've ever seen, Mahesh. I picked up my laptop, and took it around to every photo-loving geek in my office. We all "ooooohed" and "aaaaahhhhhhed" over this one. simply fantastic.

Good luck on your orals, If you put half the effort into your career that you do into your hobby, I'd have no problem with you working on me...

We'll see you in 6 months. Drop in from time to time if you can.

-jeremy

edit: I just read Dieter's post above mine... ...what're the chances?

Jan 14, 2005 at 04:22 PM
justino
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Tata for now

great shot and good luck on your upcoming test!

Jan 15, 2005 at 08:18 PM
Rosemary R
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Tata for now

Ah w w w ...we're going to miss you something awful Mahesh. Good luck on your oral boards.

Rosemary

Jan 15, 2005 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ludwigia
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Tata for now

Best of luck to you, Mahesh. Not that you'll need it.
.....and that is one spectacular photo.
Shirley

Jan 15, 2005 at 09:19 PM
Art Rosch
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Tata for now

Mahesh, this may be your most masterly image in a body of work that is
without parralel. You've taken a warhorse subject and brought new meaing
to it.

Thanks for your contributions, see you in 6.

Art

Jan 15, 2005 at 09:54 PM
rlcramer
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Tata for now

Mahesh - you are my favorite photographer on this board. I will miss your posts dearly - I log in many times a day just to check if you've posted an image. Good luck on the exam, although if your study skills are as incredible as your photography, you'll need little help from luck.

Bobby

Jan 16, 2005 at 01:04 AM
AnMar
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Tata for now

Stunning...

Anthony

Jan 16, 2005 at 01:22 AM
realkuhl
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Tata for now

Great shot and good luck ! I hope you can get out every now and then to grab a sunset or two !! Your photos are such an inspiration - please post a "photos from 1 year ago" every now and then

By the way, about this type of shot with lens flare, do you have a sun filter you use or something like that ? How do you take these types of shots and protect your eyeballs ??

Jan 16, 2005 at 04:54 AM
Julie Randolph
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Tata for now

Awesome Mahesh!! As usual! Good luck to you!

Jan 16, 2005 at 05:10 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Tata for now

pcd72 wrote:
Amazing shot Mahesh, I hope you are going to get a huge print from it (and all the pixels you have here).
Just one question. Did you use some knd of pano head for your 3 shot pano?
Can't wait to see more from you.
Pascal.

Thanks, Pascal! Nope, just used my regular ball head (Kirk BH3). Made sure the camera and the tripod were level bofore shooting, however.

Jan 16, 2005 at 05:52 PM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Tata for now

realkuhl wrote:
Great shot and good luck ! I hope you can get out every now and then to grab a sunset or two !! Your photos are such an inspiration - please post a "photos from 1 year ago" every now and then

By the way, about this type of shot with lens flare, do you have a sun filter you use or something like that ? How do you take these types of shots and protect your eyeballs ??

Thanks, John! If you use a very small aperature (like f/16 or f/22), you will automatically get the flare effect. Didn't use any special filter, as the sun had just come above the horizon and the light wasn't that powerful yet.

Jan 16, 2005 at 05:53 PM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Tata for now

Thanks for the kind words and votes of confidence, everyone! The studying process has begun and I'm making a sluggish start. I haven't spent this much time hitting the books since medical school. It was great to log on this morning and see soooo many comments on this thread. I'll miss y'all terribly. Although I won't be posting images for awhile, I'll definitely drop by from time to time and leave a few comments. Viewing images posted here from all of you is the best study break I can think of. Thanks again, everyone!

BTW, I've changed the "look" of my website a little. Mainly, I've replaced the thumbnail images with what looks like old time slides and made the pop-up "originals" a little bigger. If you have some time, please take a look and let me know what you think. You can either leave a comment here, contact me via PM or send an e-mail through the website. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2005 at 06:01 PM
Fo Tollery
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Tata for now

thapamd wrote:
BTW, I've changed the "look" of my website a little. Mainly, I've replaced the thumbnail images with what looks like old time slides and made the pop-up "originals" a little bigger. If you have some time, please take a look and let me know what you think. You can either leave a comment here, contact me via PM or send an e-mail through the website. Thanks!

First of all, the Mesa Arch site is just incredible.....as good as any I've seen from that location. Have you given consideration to producing a book....or even a calendar of your work? If not, you certainly should. I get so much enjoyment from your work....truly inspirational.

Re: the changes on the web site.....IMO, it wouldn't hurt to have the same 'name' on the popup of the large version that is attached to the thumbnails.

Additionally, I've always been a little perplexed at the lengths some online photographers' galleries go to recreate the 'analog' gallery experience. I.e., the frames, mattes, etc. Yours is very tastefully done, no question about it.

But I tend to see the 'online' web presentation of photographs as being a totally different medium vs the brick and mortar galleries. And it seems to me the 'display' methods for the b&m galleries were developed precisely to present the images in the best way possible for that medium, but don't necessarily translate to being the best method of display 'online'. Maybe it's me, but I tend to find 'frames' somewhat distracting.....sometimes downright grotesque (though that wouldn't include yours which do a very nice job of duplicating the real deal). It tends to take emphasis off the photograph, IMO. Even as tastefully done as your frames are on the large versions in the popups, I think it would focus even more attention on the photograph itself if the entire popup were just a simple black background. I do like the large white borders, but that alone should suffice to focus a viewers attention on the picture.

Anyway, I only raise the point to generate some discussion......not to 'criticize' you specifically. Given that so many online galleries seem to use these tools, I can only surmise my opinion is by far in the minority.

Jan 16, 2005 at 06:55 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password