New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

rmoraga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

Hello. I just bought my new Tripod (FEISOL) and i'm looking for a good Ball Head. I have read a lot about the Ultimate Ball by ACRATECH but I also think that the KIRK BH-3 could be okay for my present equipement.

Any recomendations??

Saludos

RIMZ

Jan 10, 2005 at 04:46 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

I've used the Kirk head for two years and love it. I think both are fine products.

Jan 10, 2005 at 06:49 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

I think you will find adherents of both. They are both high-quality moderately lightweight ballheads. You cannot go wrong. Get a matching plate, preferrably an L plate if you can swing it.

I just made the decision myself a week ago and went with the BH-3 FWIW.

Jan 10, 2005 at 06:58 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

I went with the Kirk BH-3 with my Feisol.
But if you want the ultimate (pun intended) travelling tripod, the Acratech Ultimate is much lighter and thus a better candidate.

Wenyao

Jan 10, 2005 at 07:21 PM
PKuglin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

I have the ACRATECH and think it is a fine ballhead.

Things to deal with on this one is 1) no tension adjustment. You must be careful when loosing the the ball. 2) The 45 degree arm gets in the way sometimes forcing you to rotate the head to do the angle you want. The classic heads like the BH-3 do have that issue.

Personally if I did it again I would go with a Markins ballhead.

Jan 10, 2005 at 07:43 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

RIMZ
I originally bought the Acratech and was very happy with it - until I started getting into longer lenses. A 100-400 worked fine and the 300 2.8 was OK.

The issue is that the Sidekick I was using is not terrifically well supported because the ball is at 90 degrees; so all the weight of the camera/lens combo generates the maximum torque to twist the ball even when the clamp is very tight. The Acratech does not have a notch or plate to support the weight. A larger rubberized handle to clamp the ball would allow greater tightness and a (removable?) spacer plate under the clamp to keep the clamp at 90 degrees and take the torque load off the ball/clamp would improve things - for the specific use of a Sidekick and/or heavier lenses. Outside of that, it is indeed all they claim - small/light and sturdy, great for backpack/hiking.

Now I have the 500/4, I got the BH-3 which does not weigh a whole lot more than the Acratech, but the notch which holds the clamp (and therefore the Sidekick and all the kit weight) does its job and all is well. The whole rig feels solid.

If the 300/4 in your sig is the longest you are contemplating for the foreseeable future, then the Acratech will be just fine, especially if weight is a major issue for this purchase.

Both are good products but each has its limits..

Andy

Jan 10, 2005 at 07:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TiredRob
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

I have an Acratech and love it - would buy the same again.

I think it's largely a matter of personal choice. If you can get to look at them 'in the flesh' you'll probably make a better decision, but as I understand it neither are 'dogs'.

Rob.

Jan 10, 2005 at 07:56 PM
rmoraga
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

Thanks a lot for all the answers: I was thinking about Phil's answer....How areb the Markins Ball Head; they look great and they support much more weight!!!

Cheers

Rodrigo

Pd, in a future I would buy a 500 F4...so maybe the Markin could be an excelent choice...

Jan 10, 2005 at 08:04 PM
shadco

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

If you think you will ever go with something bigger than your current lens list I think you will find the Acratech inadequate.

I wasn't comfortable with it and a 70-200 + D2H so I returned it and got an Arca Swiss B1. It is an outstanding solution and stands up really well to bigger bodies and big lenses plus if you ever think you will go sidekick the Arca or Bigger Markins is the way to go.

Jan 10, 2005 at 09:04 PM
dakar92

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

I was just making the same ballhead decision last week and after a lot of research, I went with the Markins M10. Of course I haven't used it extensively yet, but it seems to be a very high quality piece. It seems that there are proponents of nearly every quality ballhead out there and people who will swear that the one they use is the best. I think most people would be pleased with most of the good ballheads out there, and I chose the Markins for a few reasons:

1. It's available now. At first, I wanted the RRS ballhead, but it had a 4 to 6 week lead time so I hesitated. As I looked at other heads, I decided that the Kirk BH-3 or maybe the BH-1 would be good, but that had the same lead time. I really didn't want to wait.

2. I didn't want the different design of the Acratech. Some love it, some hate it, but I wanted to stick with a traditional ballhead.

3. It's small (shorter than any of the other major heads except the RRS) and it's very strong. Any of these ballheads could handle my current longest lens, but it's nice knowing that my ballhead won't be worthless if I get bigger lenses in the future.

4. The price is very competitive.

As I read reviews, I did not come across anything negative about the Markins. I could not say that about the others, but the factors above weighed heavily on my decision and I don't regret it now and doubt I ever will.

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:35 PM
rmoraga
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Acratech or Kirk BH-3 Ball head

Thanks for all your answers....Change of plans, I will buy the Markins Q-Ball M10-L. I called them and they told me is impossible to ship it to miami (I live in Chile) because is a different billing address....and they want to charge me US 40 for thr shipping and here in my country all things pay 30% more!!!
SO I'm going to wait for a use one...I hope I will be lucky...

Rodrigo

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password