New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Feisol CF Tripod?

radamo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feisol CF Tripod?

I am just beginning my hunt for a reasonable cost, light, sturdy tripod. I have run accross a Chinese brand called Feison. So far I have only seen positive comments. Has anyone here actually seen or used one? Are they very sturdy? How do they compare with something like the Gitzo CF's?
Thanks for any comments.
RA

Jan 04, 2005 at 05:48 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feisol CF Tripod?

I don't have a Gitzo, so I can't compare. I think it is an excellent value, light and easy to work with. I do not use it for the Sigma 300-800.

Jan 04, 2005 at 05:57 PM
jeffshoaf
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feisol CF Tripod?

I have a Feisol monopod and like it a lot. The foot is just a nylon chair leg tip, but other than that, it seems to be really well made. There's been several threads in the past here on Feisol tripods; you might try searching the archive to get more opinions.

Jan 04, 2005 at 06:10 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feisol CF Tripod?

I have the first generation Feisol CT3301 tripod. It's very light, only 1.1kg without head, so it's very nice for travelling. It's way too short even with the center column fully extended for me (5' 11), so you might want to check out the max height specifications before you buy. Also, if you decide to buy, get the second generation model - it has a removable center column (which my first version does not have) that allows for even closer-to-the-ground operation, as well as padded legs (CF does get cold too...).

Jan 04, 2005 at 06:16 PM
radamo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feisol CF Tripod?

Ed Peters wrote:
I don't have a Gitzo, so I can't compare. I think it is an excellent value, light and easy to work with. I do not use it for the Sigma 300-800.

Ed,
So you currently use it with your 1D and other lenses but not the 300-800? That sounds like it is pretty sturdy. Thanks for the feedback.
RA

Jan 04, 2005 at 06:24 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feisol CF Tripod?

'Have it with what Acratech modestly calls an "ultimate" ball head. This is very sturdy, reasonably light tripod. Bought this combo for travel and hiking. The four section model extends quite high (nearly eye level) without lifting the center column. Bought the Feisol on Ebay ~ $180. Very good delivery service from the vendor. Keep in mind you need a good ball head to go with you tripod and probably a quick release plate for your camera. There is endless debate about the ball heads. The "ultimate" is light in weight, but very well made and it is solid when locked. A quick release plate designed for your camera makes a huge difference in convenience and ridgidity. Drawbacks: expensive, no level on the head.

Jan 05, 2005 at 01:22 PM
intero
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Feisol CF Tripod?

nnnnmmmmaaaa,
you could always pick up a RRS QR with the level built in ... of course, that's another $120 ... this hobby is way, way to expensive.
-Tom

Jan 05, 2005 at 02:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

radamo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Feisol CF Tripod?

Thanks to all of you that have provided feedback both in this thread and in the previous Feisol related threads. This is very helpful information. Right now I think I am leaning towards the Feisol (not sure of 3 or 4 section yet) tripod and the Acratech "Ultimate" Ball Head (with Quick Release Plate). Seems I cannot get more bang for my buck in any other combo I have seen thus far.
RA

Jan 05, 2005 at 02:20 PM
Potops

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Feisol CF Tripod?

I have the 4 section Feisol and a Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and to me is a very light and sturdy combo for my lenses setup.

Chris

Jan 05, 2005 at 08:31 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Feisol CF Tripod?

I use mine with the Kirk BH-3, which weighs in at around 500g, but it is a very nice ballhead. If you want the 'ultimate' in weight savings, the Acratech is a good buy too.

Jan 05, 2005 at 11:15 PM
radamo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Feisol CF Tripod?

Hey that Kirk BH-3 may be just what I was looking for... Thanks for the suggestion.
RA

Jan 06, 2005 at 01:03 AM
Philippe Arnez
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Feisol CF Tripod?

Very interesting thread. Seems to be a good alternative to the pricey gitzo tripods...
Here is a very informative thread about the feisols on the nikonians.org forums.

Jan 06, 2005 at 01:26 AM
htbyron
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Feisol CF Tripod?

Can anyone tell me what thread size the Feisol tripods have? I'm considering ordering one & wonder what my options ar for mounting a ballhead.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 07, 2005 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password