Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

thepiecesfit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

Im looking to get a 77mm polarizer for my 17-40L

options are

singh-ray gold blue
singh-ray neutral
singh-ray +warm
singh-ray + uv

for practical usage, which one would suit me best?? I am having trouble deciding . Some help would be appreciated

Dec 15, 2004 at 07:55 PM
alanS
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

I like shooting raw with auto white balance, so i would prefer a neutral or grey polarizer. It seems to me if you use colored filters such as a gold-blue you could not use AWB, and would need to set the white balance.

Dec 15, 2004 at 08:27 PM
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

FM member Ben Horne has a good article at his website regarding the gold-n-blue CPL..

http://www.benhorne.com/articles.htm

Look at the "Deep Blue Sky"

Dec 15, 2004 at 10:34 PM
JonCanfield
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

The Singh-Ray gold-blue is excellent but it's very easy to over do the effects. Still, it's my favorite polarizer

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:09 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

The gold blue polarizer is fun to use, but can be easially overdone. If I were to have just one, it would be my Hoya SMC 77mm Circular Polarizer. It's more appropriate than the G&B for most situations. Of the times that I use a polarizer, I use my Hoya 90% of the time, and my G&B 10% of the time.

Singh Ray has some very nice filters, but keep in mind that most are not coated, let alone multi-coated. I know my G&B Polarizer is not. I'd say go for a coated standard polarizer such as a Hoya, Heliopan, B+W, etc. You can always warm it up in software, but it's not as easy to cool it down due to color shifts.

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thepiecesfit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

I thought they were designed in mind to block as much flare as possible, are you certain they have no coatings?

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34 PM
jsandfort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

I have both the B&G and neutral. I use the neutral most and would get it if I could only have one. I really like them both.

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:54 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

I use the warming polarizer plus, great for landscapes. Mine is non-coated as well but I like it way better than any of the other polarizers I used previously: Tiffen, Canon, Hoya, Nikon..It's hard to explain, but somehow I feel *different* when using this polarizer (on a Cokin P mount) than the other polarizer

Dec 16, 2004 at 01:55 AM
Jkan2001
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

alanS wrote:
I like shooting raw with auto white balance, so i would prefer a neutral or grey polarizer. It seems to me if you use colored filters such as a gold-blue you could not use AWB, and would need to set the white balance.

Sorry i'm new but, what is auto white balance? Does that mean the camera automatically adjusts that so you don't have to go back in photoshop and play with it in post processing? I just bought my 10D last week and haven't even played with it yet as it was shipped to my parents which I will be visiting this friday.

Also i just bought a 28-135 from EricLarson on the board (very nice guy btw) would I also need a 77mm circular polarizer filter for this lens?

Dec 16, 2004 at 03:29 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which singh-ray circ polarizer?

The B&G is more like a special effects filter than a traditional polarizer. It does some cool stuff, but go for the neutral or warm if you are wanting traditional polarizing (cutting glare, enriching color/saturation, etc.).

Mark

Dec 16, 2004 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password