Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

Stigmata
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

Hi
I've a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye lens, took it on Ebay.
The images are too soft, even at f/11, and I found a thread here on FM about a "trick" to do on the lens. You can read about it here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/136276/0#1103524

The problem is that I don't understand what I have to do English is not my mothertongue...

Here is the mysterious message:

we have to adjust it is Very simple
Take the rubber bend off the lens( focusing)
<- what is the rubber bend?
finf 3 screws under <- I guess it's FIND
Put the lens on infinity
unscrew them till the focusing ring fill loose
<- some problems here...
turn the ring till 1.2 will be across from the red focusing dot <- ...and here
screw them back
Put rubber ring back
Should help

any help will be welcome!
thank you!

Dec 07, 2004 at 10:59 AM
palderman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

pm

Dec 07, 2004 at 07:21 PM
imhelfant

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

Francesco -- I'm an American but writing from Moscow, where I bought the zenitar for my 300D a month ago and had the same problem. The "rubber band" is the black textured band that overlies the actual focusing ring (it's what you normally think of as the focusing ring until you start to get ready to take the camera apart!). It slides forward over the front of the lens past the front glass fairly easily exposing three tiny screws than can be loosened with a very small screwdriver. In my case I overshot the mark and now have adjusted the camera so that correct infinity focus corresponds to the 1.2 meter mark (it took my quite a while to figure this out, as it was the opposite of what I was expecting to have done). I suggest that even before you take the camera apart you make sure infinity focus isn't "below" the infnity indicator, just in case. Then make sure not to overadjust. In my case I stripped one of the screws so it's stuck for the time being. But the pictures, even at low f stops when I use the 1.2 meter setting for infinity, are just great, and I can still focus to very close distances, so aside from the distance scale itself being off, the lens is wonderful.

Dec 07, 2004 at 07:37 PM
Stigmata
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

Thanks everyone!
I took the ring apart (I thought it was this way, but I wanted to be sure... didn't want to damage the lens) and now I have to find a small screwdriver to loose the screws.
Then I guess I'll have to move the 1.2 mark OVER the red dot and then screw back everything. Is this right?
Please escuse me for the - maybe - stupid questions, but I have some problems with "technical" english

Dec 07, 2004 at 07:51 PM
aznkid.com
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

sorry to hear you got a bad copy..

i had a couple threads on other forums when i received mine.. sharp even at f/2.8 and i didn't have to focus at infinity!

http://www.aznkid.com/misc/zenitar1.jpg

http://www.aznkid.com/misc/zenitar2.jpg

Dec 07, 2004 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

imhelfant

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

Francesco -- just one clarification. In my particular case the focus ring ended up -- after my random adjustments -- stuck so that 1.2 meters corresponds to infinity. This may not be the case with your lens; it's more likely to be somewhere else, I think. The way to figure out is to take pictures of a building or something else far away at Fstop 2.8. Then adjust your focus ring to 3 or 4 different places -- all above 1.2 meters or so, and see which of these places moves you closer to an infocus image of the object at infinity. This will help you to decide how to adjust the focus ring.

Dec 07, 2004 at 08:12 PM
Stigmata
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

Well, I think I'll try with the 1.2 setting first, because both you and nutek (the guy on the thread i linked before) found this setting to be the best.

by the way, I still haven't found the screwdriver!

Dec 07, 2004 at 10:13 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

have you tried the "loosening the rear filter" trick yet? taking apart the lens is only when the lens is severely misfocussing. If it's just a little, just unscrew the rear clear filter a couple of rounds and that should improve your sharpness at infinity.

by the way I also stripped one of the screws for mine. The screws are tiny delicate things, so it's advisable to find a good quality, correctly-used screwdriver for taking apart the lens.

Dec 07, 2004 at 10:29 PM
Stigmata
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Softness on Zenitar 16mm FishEye...

This morning I tried do do the job: unscrewing was good, i moved the focusing 1.2 mark over the red dot and then I screwed back everything. It is a little better, but I still have to use f/11 or higher to get a decent (not good!) focus at infinity. On the other side I can focus at a very little distance...

Dec 08, 2004 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password