Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

mb126 wrote:
Curious how this would behave with cycling lights? A7r2 had issues with slow readout speed due to the high resolution.

Based on the severe rolling shutter results of Tony Northrup's D850 video test I would guess the readout is even slower than the A7rII, so it would be susceptible to banding in cyclical lighting.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:00 PM
Ai_Print
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

I think it is very well implemented, very usable in how well it works. But my big concern is within the lighting that I would be using it in 90% of the time and that is LED at a specific set of events. I have converted nearly all the lighting in my new house to LED and it rolls on just about everything, even ones on full power, not dimmers.

I am hoping that the LED's used at these events are different since they are set up by TV crews like CNN, ESPN, etc. But as it stands right now, a lot of the reason I would want to use Silent Mode could be a non-starter with the effect of rolling shutter.

Time will tell....

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:10 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Try shooting at 1/60 or 1/125 shutter speeds. It helps, but different lights have different effects.

Test it out at home and see if it works. Do not know the type of event you are shooting, but they most likely did not hire you for complete silent shooting, so I would not worry too much about the sound of the shutter. It is odd for the client when they don't know you took the photo, especially at award banquets and corporate events during group photos. So silent shooting is a plus for weddings and during speeches, but not so much when people are expecting you to take a photo.

-Greg

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:38 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

How does the "Q" mode work (on either D810 or D850)? Why doesn't it help?

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:28 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

chez wrote:
But do you have to hold the camera away from your body to use LV? If so, I find this extremely limiting since shooting with the camera away from your body is very unstable and tiring...especially if there is a hefty lend on the camera.

The only times I use LV is off a tripod when I'm shooting landscapes. Shooting concerts or street...it's viewfinder all the way. Many times there is no room to hold the camera away from the body.

My thought exactly but I started using the LCD screen flip up 90 degree and looking down at the camera, kind of like MF style viewfinder and it is more convenient than just looking at the back of the camera at eye level. Hybrid VF would have been nice for this but oh well.....

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:50 AM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

gnjphotography wrote:
Try shooting at 1/60 or 1/125 shutter speeds. It helps, but different lights have different effects.

Test it out at home and see if it works. Do not know the type of event you are shooting, but they most likely did not hire you for complete silent shooting, so I would not worry too much about the sound of the shutter. It is odd for the client when they don't know you took the photo, especially at award banquets and corporate events during group photos. So silent shooting is a plus for weddings and during speeches, but not so much
...Show more

Shutter speeds, thanks but doesn’t it stand to reason I have already ran a host of tests regarding a wide range of shutter speeds in my existing lighting at home? Because I have and now I need to put into the realm of real work to make the final call.

And this is by no means normal "event photography", this absolutely comes with an expectation of being as unobtrusive as possible and for me, if I can be silent instead of quiet like my Leica cameras, all the better. Think Whitehouse Press photographer, because many of the same players are in the room in a closed door affair and I am in there too. That has been the way of it for 15 years, so if I can be silent, that is appreciated by everyone involved.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:21 AM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Sounds pretty great from your description. I would like for it to punch in on the spot you touch when in manual rather than fire a shot.

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:08 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Ai_Print wrote:
Shutter speeds, thanks but doesn’t it stand to reason I have already ran a host of tests regarding a wide range of shutter speeds in my existing lighting at home? Because I have and now I need to put into the realm of real work to make the final call.

And this is by no means normal "event photography", this absolutely comes with an expectation of being as unobtrusive as possible and for me, if I can be silent instead of quiet like my Leica cameras, all the better. Think Whitehouse Press photographer, because many of the same players are in
...Show more

It might not be a popular advice, but have you considered the Sony A9? (Yes, I know it is expensive and not a Nikon etc, but it might be perfect for that specific task).

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:33 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Stoffer wrote:
It might not be a popular advice, but have you considered the Sony A9? (Yes, I know it is expensive and not a Nikon etc, but it might be perfect for that specific task).

If he shoots at 5 frames per second, but it still makes noise. To go completely silent, it is still an electronic shutter and would have the same artifacts he is getting from the 850.

Having shot many press events, to include the Secretary of Defense, you can definitely hear the roar of all the photographers shutters going off. So the other option is to anticipate the action and not shoot on continuous high. I believe the shooting of a static subject at continuous high is more distracting than an occasional shot.

I was not trying to say you had not tried shutter speeds, but incase you had not, it would not hurt to try. The sound of the shutter is less important than you making yourself non-intrusive and ensuring you get the shot without interfering with the multiple videographers trying to get there shots as well.

Good luck, hope it all turns out well.

-Greg

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:10 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

snapsy wrote:
The A7rII uses a BSI sensor and has a read noise penalty for its electronic shutter. It's likely a function of how the ADCs are configured for that mode.

Yes I realize that however Nikon has come out and said their implementation of BSI was done to remove any penalty from the electronic shutter. That's all I was referring to. Either way it's good news.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

So, Q sounds exactly like the 810 (which is fairly quiet) and the only way to use the new silent mode is in LV? Hmmmm. I better look elsewhere for reasons to upgrade. I was enchanted by the idea of silent shooting, but not now. I Might just stick with the 810 unless that extra stop of ISO is convincing.

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:40 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Continuous high at weddings is idiot mode, no need for it!

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:46 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

InSanE wrote:
Continuous high at weddings is idiot mode, no need for it!

Simply not true. It is there for those times when you are doing a wedding out of town and the church has a priest and a "church lady" who tell you that you can only shoot from the very back of the church and that you aren't allowed to move and you aren't allowed to kneel - you can only stand up and remain completely still.

That is when you use continuous high. Out of spite.

That being said, I have only needed to use continuous high once. But it was worth it.

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:51 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Yes, believe church is the place to spray and pray

ps
Why is there no extra loud mode?

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:45 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Another quick note about the silent mode...... it does not fire the flash. While I can see why you wouldn't want flash if you've chosen to shoot silently, but for when your just trying to use those extreme high/low angles with the tilty screen and you need flash.....you'll have to switch to the regular live view mode.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

snapsy wrote:
Based on the severe rolling shutter results of Tony Northrup's D850 video test I would guess the readout is even slower than the A7rII, so it would be susceptible to banding in cyclical lighting.

If readout is slower than A7RII, that would be quite disappointing ....

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Another quick note about the silent mode...... it does not fire the flash. While I can see why you wouldn't want flash if you've chosen to shoot silently, but for when your just trying to use those extreme high/low angles with the tilty screen and you need flash.....you'll have to switch to the regular live view mode.

Yes, because the total readout time of the electronic shutter is too slow for the flash to evenly expose the sensor. Nikon will have to significantly increase the readout rate in order to use flash in this mode - likely to come in a few iterations.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

ugh, won't fire flash. That's right - Canon's won't either. You have to go into menus and take LV out of silent mode for the flash to fire. Crap, forgot about that.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

Nathan Padgett wrote:

Even MILC's like the Sony A9 have to use the mechanical shutter for flash, so I'd be surprised if the D850 could use flash in silent e-shutter mode. Readouts are too slow.

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · My thoughts on the D850's silent mode.

CanadaMark wrote:
Even MILC's like the Sony A9 have to use the mechanical shutter for flash, so I'd be surprised if the D850 could use flash in silent e-shutter mode. Readouts are too slow.

It was a strange decision by Sony. There's no technical reason to disallow use of the electronic shutter with flash. They allow it on their other bodies like the RX10 II and III. They only need to cap the sync rate to the sensor readout rate.

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:12 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.