New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Everythingis1 wrote:
Interesting. Do you think you guys would have bought it at $3000 and F4?

weird question; would it be super small and super good? Leica does have a M lens that is f/3.4 and very small that costs around $3,000 new. I might consider buying that lens, but I haven't so far. If it was just slower and more expensive but wasn't any better obviously not, but the Batis 135 f/2.8 is a very different lens than any previous 135mm f/2.8 lens.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM
kaioyang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

How about comparing Zeiss APO Sonnar 2/135 ZF.2 vs Batis 135? The local Aussie Zeiss distributor is running out the ZF.2 for about US$1350 (I would have jumped on it except already got it and planning to sell) Will the batis drop prices like that in a couple of years?

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

kaioyang wrote:
How about comparing Zeiss APO Sonnar 2/135 ZF.2 vs Batis 135? The local Aussie Zeiss distributor is running out the ZF.2 for about US$1350 (I would have jumped on it except already got it and planning to sell) Will the batis drop prices like that in a couple of years?

They very well might. You can already get the Batis 135 for $1,650 US new from Hong Kong if you buy it on e-bay.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:15 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Steve Spencer wrote:
They very well might. You can already get the Batis 135 for $1,650 US new from Hong Kong if you buy it on e-bay.

@kaioyang

The sale price on the Apo Sonnar 2/135 is explained but it being discontinued!
The Milvus version, with slightly better coating, weather sealing and a heavier duty housing has replaced it. A screaming deal nonetheless.

So don't expect price drops like that on the Batis until it is replaced; and that will be a very long time.
The Hong Kong price on the Batis reflects the usual good prices you can get from HK dealers relative to the US rrp. They can be a very good deal, but of course you should bear in mind the usual caveats: warranty service, difficulty of return depending where you are located, etc.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:28 AM
LBJ2
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

kaioyang wrote:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/zeiss-batis-apo-sonnar-t-135mm-f2-8/

By: DAVID BRADDON-MITCHELL aka DavidBM on this forum.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:38 AM
kaioyang
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Thx. I've read David's well written review. Nonetheless when I observed those runout auctions I cringed... A friend bought one 2/135 Canon mount for USD 750 brand new, even its discontinued its still a steal. While optical capabilities of the batis is excellent, I'm very mindful the switchover costs of such purchases since I'm only a hobbyist doing shutter therapy.

PS. The distributor initially tried $1 starting bid auctions so they took a bath in the end. Now they are doing fix price sale.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

kaioyang wrote:
Thx. I've read David's well written review. Nonetheless when I observed those runout auctions I cringed... A friend bought one 2/135 Canon mount for USD 750 brand new, even its discontinued its still a steal. While optical capabilities of the batis is excellent, I'm very mindful the switchover costs of such purchases since I'm only a hobbyist doing shutter therapy.

PS. The distributor initially tried $1 starting bid auctions so they took a bath in the end. Now they are doing fix price sale.

The Zeiss 135/2 APO is definitely a steal at current prices right now. If I had bought one for $2,200 a few years back, I would just keep it as this lens would probably outlive me.

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

I was curious about the Batis 135/2.8 APO 'bokeh rendering' when compared to some other telephotos I have. (85/1.4 GM and Batis 85/1.8). It's difficult to test lenses with different focal lengths but it's still a valid test just to get an idea of how they compare at different distances. (camera to subject and subject to background)

First I had to make these lenses equivalent. (Similar to what we would do if comparing APS-C lenses with full frame)

So, in the case of the 85/1.4 GM, I had to test it at f/1.7 against the Batis 135mm at f/2.8.

The math is: 85 x 1.59 (crop factor) = 135, and f/1.7 x 1.59 = f/2.8 (rounded numbers)

I shot my subject at the exact same distance with both lenses (tripod) and in post-processing, I carefully cropped the 85/1.4GM images using the 1.59x crop factor to match the Batis 135.

You may think this is not fair because the 85GM opens up to f/1.4 and therefore capable of slightly more blur but IMO, this lens performs best at f/1.7 for optimum resolution and CA control. LoCA is actually only well-controlled at f/2.8, but there is an improvement from f/1.4 to f/1.7 or f/2.

Here are the results:

Batis 135/2.8 (TOP)

1:1 crop showing focused area

1:1 crop showing OOF area (LoCA comparison)

1:1 crop showing OOF area (rendering)

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Second set:

Batis 135/2.8 (TOP)

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Third set:

Batis 135/2.8 (TOP)

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Fourth set:

Batis 135/2.8 (TOP)

1:1 crop showing detail from image above

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Fifth set:

batis 135/2.8 (BOTTOM) !!

1:1 crop showing detail from image above

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

One more:

Batis 135/2.8 (BOTTOM) !!

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

What do you think about this result?
Keep in mind that the 85/1.4GM images show rounded bokeh balls, because they were cropped 1.59x and therefore not showing the edges of the frame where cat-eyes are prominent.

BTW, I also compared the Batis 85/1.8 @f/1.8 (since it's pretty much equiv. to the 135/2.8). I saw similar rendering to the 135mm (perhaps the 135mm a bit smoother) but the Batis 85/1.8 had very similar LoCA correction when compared to the 85/1.4 @f/1.7 (which is worlds behind the 135/2.8 APO wide-open)

Here is one comparison between 85/1.4 GM @f/1.7 and Batis 85/1.8. (LoCA control)

1:1 crop showing OOF area and LoCA correction

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:50 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Honestly I think the Batis 135 has gotten so beat up because of the price and folks forget or just don't realize how freaking good it is. And I may have been guilty of that at first until I bought one. This lens is one reason I don't miss my GM all that much. But I have a Sony 85 1.8 that's very good when I do need a 85. I see a lot of color issues on the right. Your wicker chair really shows it

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:13 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

kaioyang wrote:

If you do t need AF and don't care about size and weight the 2/135 APO Sonnar is a no-brainer. It's lovely at f2, has fewer cats eyes at f2.8,than the Batis, and has stellar LoCA correction (though the Batis is even more stellar in this regard). It's no sharper or more apochromatic than the remarkable Samyang 2/135, but has better contrast and veiling flare resistance and is much much better built. I think at these prices just buy one! They won't last for ever and then it'll be about $2500 or more for essentially the same lens in Milvus form..

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:55 PM
kaioyang
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

DavidBM wrote:
If you do t need AF and don't care about size and weight the 2/135 APO Sonnar is a no-brainer. .

That's the problem. Even when I was shooting Nikon I seldom took the 2/135 out due to its weight. Is there any similarly graded lens in this focal length that is tops 600g and doesn't break the bank? I know the Batis is but I don't like forking out A$2899 for one (I only buy in the shops locally for > $1k lenses fully knowing the possible QA issues/returns etc).

Or I wait until I visit Japan next time and try find the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar or ask Bellamy to get one?

Big wish - has anyone here got both the Batis 135 and the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar? Any chance to do a comparison?

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:17 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

kaioyang wrote:
That's the problem. Even when I was shooting Nikon I seldom took the 2/135 out due to its weight. Is there any similarly graded lens in this focal length that is tops 600g and doesn't break the bank? I know the Batis is but I don't like forking out A$2899 for one (I only buy in the shops locally for > $1k lenses fully knowing the possible QA issues/returns etc).

Or I wait until I visit Japan next time and try find the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar or ask Bellamy to get one?

Big wish - has anyone here got both the
...Show more

I see. So you are happy with MF, but 600g is your weight limit?

The APO-Lanthar 125 is about 700g without an adapter; so with a good adapter it'll be over 750g.
I have never used one. But I do have the 4/180 APO Lanthar (which I love for it's compactness and quality) but the Batis is very much better in every respect (and the APO Lanthar is pretty good). Maybe the 125 is a bit better than 180 as some but not all say. But I'd be reluctant to pay that much for a collectors item where every scratch you cause takes big $$ off the retail value. And it doesn't cost much less than the Batis. Of course, if you really want a tele macro...

The Batis is under 2K AUD from reputable Hong Kong places. And I haven't heard of much copy variation. Returning to those places only really involves paying the postage: so you could return a couple if you had to and still be way ahead.

You could consider Canon 2/135! From memory it weighs about the same as the CV 125, maybe 30g more, and it's very decent. Nice and sharp, OK colour correction but not to the highest APO standards, but with excellent performance from f2. For a long time it was thought of as a kind of reference lens. I got rid of mine years ago after switching to Sony because it wouldn't AF well on the adapters available then, and I thought if I had to manual focus, get the 2/135 APO Sonnar, which is the better lens. But I'm told with the latest adapters it focusses very well, and could be a very good sharp inexpensive useful lens - you wouldn't have the bragging rights of the best corrected lens in the race, but it's unlikely to make much difference to your images, and the speed and portability might...

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:00 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I was curious about the Batis 135/2.8 APO 'bokeh rendering' when compared to some other telephotos I have.

Here are the results:

i've made my thoughts/feelings known about this lens from the beginning (it's perfect) but another great test Fred (i know how much work goes into putting that together)

but really what i wanted to ask is - what time can i bring the kids over for a dip in the pool - i'll bring some veal chops for the grill! (fantastic backyard and location - every time i see that, i just think: "damn California taxes"!)

the lens is a joy to walk around with and it's great that with nearly zero effort, the images look great back at home. here are 3 random shots from this Summer that i think show its sharpness, minimal (if any) fringing, contrast & saturation and that f/2.8 is plenty shallow (all shots wide open and processed by simply hitting 'auto' in Cap1):

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:36 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Batis 135, is it a keeper?

I'm a char chef from years ago. I'll be there

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:08 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password