Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2017 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

There is a workaround to using huge 150mm filters with the new FE 12-24/4 G.
So far I've only tried it with my Breakthrough 77mm 6-stop ND filter, but it's possible it will also work with polarizers. There is no vignetting and no light leak from 14mm until 24mm making this new ultra wide much more versatile now.

At 12mm, the front element is at its longest extension and won't work with this set-up. Actually it should be avoided since the front element will actually touch the filter. So be warned not to pass 14mm.
(13mm is actually fine but will show some vignetting)

I tried using 1mm thick felt tape but it was too thin. I'm sure using 1.5mm felt tape will be perfect. Like this one here:
https://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-065-Polyester-Felt-Tape/dp/B00QTVPA3G

Since I already had adhesive flocking paper, I used 3 strips of it and the thickness was perfect to allow my 77mm filter to slide through the hood and stay in place. I used this one: (no affiliation)
https://www.edmundoptics.com/lab-production/general-tools/55-20quot-x-30quot-2-sheets-adhesive-flock-paper/

Basically for the breakthrough ND filter, I cut 1/4" x 10" strips and applied around the periphery of the filter. I had to add 3 layers for the correct thickness. If you get the 1.5mm felt tape, you may only need one layer.
I made sure to leave extra material towards the bottom of the filter. That was done intentionally so the filter touches the the lens inner barrel when pushed all the way down the hood. Like that, there is no height guessing for the filter placement and it stays very firm.

Here are some pictures of the set-up. I will update with better pictures later on. If you have better ideas, post your thoughts!

Felt tape or flocking paper around the filter surface. It won't scratch or mark the lens hood. In reality, it goes lower than shown on this picture.

Extra material towards the bottom of the filter so it touches the lens inner barrel. The original lens cap still works. :)

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

very cool, have a lot of flocking material. Have you considered flocking the interior of the hood?

that way, when you insert the filter, you can use the inner flocking to stop the filter, which makes the filter easier to repurpose if you have happen to shoot with the same filter or for easier storage as you wouldnt need a hard box.

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

I have the Nisi 150 filter holder and Haida ND 6 stop and CPL now. Not sure if I should sell it. I'm not sure what to do. But I'm trying to think of this whole mounting idea posted here. See if I can come up with some ideas

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

I have a 77mm Breakthrough CPL and tried this with gaffers tape. Problem is the CPL's don't have a wide ring or threads. What you may need to do is add a blank 77 ring on the back side. With that it's going to vignette it looks like at 15mm so it clears at 16. I need to try this with the flocking paper which I need to order. So CPL maybe more limited .

This may vary as I get a better setup going

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Charlie N wrote:
very cool, have a lot of flocking material. Have you considered flocking the interior of the hood?

that way, when you insert the filter, you can use the inner flocking to stop the filter, which makes the filter easier to repurpose if you have happen to shoot with the same filter or for easier storage as you wouldnt need a hard box.

It's worth a try but It needs several layers of flocking material (1.5mm thickness) and therefore could cause vignetting when shooting at 12mm without the filter.
Also, flocking the filter does not affect the lens hood at all for resale value, etc..

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:07 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Idea. Take a blank 77mm filter ring use gaffers tape or flocking turn it the other way so when you put a ND or CPL on it your putting it on backwards . The idea here is you can semi mount tightly a blank filter ring than you just screw in reverse whatever filter you need. It makes no difference if its backwards with either CPL or ND

I don't have any blank 77mm filters. Someone try this idea

I just tried a 82mm and thats too big

The idea here is you might be able to leave it in all the time and get 12mm without filter but when you add your ND or CPL it will get cut down to 15mm or whatever.

Now my bet is we may need a slim blank inside first than we may sneak in 12mm without a filter without vignetting.

I would try a slim for sure. Even if you can pull off 13mm that would work for me.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

I bought the Nisi filters and holder. Arrived today. It is large, but seems like they will work really well.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:44 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Luvwine wrote:
I bought the Nisi filters and holder. Arrived today. It is large, but seems like they will work really well.

It does and you will like it. Yea its a little big but I have my whole Nisi kit holder and 2 filters in the front pocket of the Mindshift PhotoCross 10 bag so its not bad at all.

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Here is 14mm f/8 with my 77mm breakthrough 6-stop ND filter as shown above.

(No hard vignetting)

High ISO because I was handholding this thing with a 6-stop ND filter.

© fredmiranda.com

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:03 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Since we are talking ND filters I only will recommend Haida and Breakthrough as they are the most neutral in color shift. I tested all of them back in my Medium Format days and these two are the best I have seen.

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:15 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

This is such a cool setup, Fred! Great job although I still be ordering the Nisi (unless GM decides to sell his so I will buy it from him!)

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Very cool! Fred. I assume this method won't work with a CPL since it's hard to rotate? I know some wouldn't use a CPL on UWA, I wouldn't use it for blue sky but there are other usages too.

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

GabrielPhoto wrote:
This is such a cool setup, Fred! Great job although I still be ordering the Nisi (unless GM decides to sell his so I will buy it from him!)

Wait a few days and Guy may sell you the lens too. It is almost getting to be time for him to swap......😜

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:46 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Not selling the lens. It's to darn nice.

Not sure I'm selling the NISI either it's really not a big issue carrying it when needed.

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:47 PM
TakenWild
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Hoya Fusion Antistatic CPLs are very good. They out score Nisi or B+W. They are the best I've tried. Amazing around waterfalls too!
I use breakthrough photography for my ND filters as they seem much better than Hoya. Hoya NDs aren't great.

GMPhotography wrote:
Since we are talking ND filters I only will recommend Haida and Breakthrough as they are the most neutral in color shift. I tested all of them back in my Medium Format days and these two are the best I have seen.

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Another idea - the link below is for a lens cap mod, cut the center out and glue in a larger ring to attach a filter holder. Not sure if this will work with 12mm, but it worked great with a Samyang 14mm and you don't have to go with the oversize 150mm filters. Just need to wait for replacement caps to become available.

http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/filters-for-lenses-that-cant-take-filters/

Cheers

Chris

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:02 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Thanks for posting this info, Fred.

.. You've made my decision between the 12-24 and the 16-35GM even harder

Aug 08, 2017 at 03:38 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

TakenWild wrote:
Hoya Fusion Antistatic CPLs are very good. They out score Nisi or B+W. They are the best I've tried. Amazing around waterfalls too!
I use breakthrough photography for my ND filters as they seem much better than Hoya. Hoya NDs aren't great.

I've found the Hoya ProND to be very good, but depends on which strength you get as to how neutral it is.

See here:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/russian-photographer-tests-hoya-s-pro-nd-series--27938

Aug 08, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

GMPhotography wrote:
I have a 77mm Breakthrough CPL and tried this with gaffers tape. Problem is the CPL's don't have a wide ring or threads. What you may need to do is add a blank 77 ring on the back side. With that it's going to vignette it looks like at 15mm so it clears at 16. I need to try this with the flocking paper which I need to order. So CPL maybe more limited .

This may vary as I get a better setup going

Guy, which blank 77mm ring would you recommend? I did a quick research and it only came up with step-up rings?

Thanks,

Aug 08, 2017 at 09:41 AM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Luvwine wrote:

My NiSi filter holder came yesterday and I had previously purchased Lee's SW 150mm x 150mm Little Stopper (6 stop ND), Big Stopper (10 stop ND), Polarizer and 150mm x 170mm 3-Stop soft Grad ND filters. I tested them out with the NiSi holder which I really like and there is no noticable vignetting issues even at the 12mm setting with the holder properly place on the lens. While the setup and filters are large they certainly are not heavy to carry and I really look forward to using them in the field.

I could see using this 77mm filter work around as beneficial for those day outings when taking minimal gear is desired. Maybe for some long exposures using 77mm ND filters. But I think I'll stick with the 150mm filters for my main kit.

Chuck

Aug 08, 2017 at 10:26 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.