FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       16       17       18       end

Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

mjm6
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Brada, I meant on the 12-24. I believe yo on the 24-70!

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:16 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

AGeoJO wrote:
Now, does the electronic shutter in the A9 count as actual shutter actuation when triggered? I understood shutter counts are more crucial to mechanical shutter, or at least when a combined electronic and mechanical shutter is used. Please enlighten me. Thanks!

On previous Sony bodies an electronic shutter exposure does not get counted in the running EXIF shutter count.

For the A9 it doesn't appear Sony included a shutter count in the EXIF, at least not one I could find even after doing an extensive EXIF binary check.

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:22 PM
JimKasson

p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I was asked to compare the Sony 12-24 to the Fuji 23/4 on the GFX. Not a fair fight, but here goes:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-12-244-on-a7rii-vs-fuji-234-on-gfx/

I think that the Sony lens did pretty darned well, considering how great that Fuji 23 is.

Jim

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:59 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I just watched this Sony 12-24, 16-35 GM, 16-35 f4 comparison video from Hong Kong.

It's in Cantonese and they didn't show actual pictures of comparison, mostly chitchatting in Cantonese. Here are some interesting points I can remember, bear in mind I was having a glass of wine when I was watching it.

1. At 16mm, the 16-35 GM is sharper center to edge at f/4 than the Zony 16-35, more contrasty and better colors too. Even from the view finder, they said they could tell the obvious difference. They said the GM is obviously designed for higher resolution sensors.

2. On the 12-24, they mainly talked about how much wider 12mm is than 16mm and the low distortion ,and the 12-24 is very good at 16mm. They both said if they had to choose only one, they would pick the 12-24mm, for the 12mm. They actually joked that it would make girls' legs look longer. Not so politically correct in these day and age.

Edited on Jul 15, 2017 at 01:13 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Pretty much why I bought the 12-24 was to replace my CV12. The rest has been a bonus but it's really nice at 14/ 18 too. Than I just got a Batis 25 figuring the zoom at 24 might be the weak spot but it's good there as well but the Batis I get speed back and able to filter

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM
photomadnz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Heres some further 16-35mm full size samples... http://www.dcfever.com/lens/viewsamples.php?set=1384

Jul 15, 2017 at 08:02 AM
photomadnz
• •
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
Send them an email too. The more pressure the better.

It's also possible that Lee develops a FE 12-24/4 adapter to use with their SW150 Mark II. (no rounded filters though)
http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-sw150

However, according to their page, the SW150 filter system (150mm filters) causes vignetting with the Canon 11-24/4L and Sigma 12-24/4 Art.

NISI have an 150mm adaptor for the 12-24mm https://nisifilters.com.au/product/nisi-150mm-filter-holder-for-sony-fe-12-24mm-f4-g-lenses/

Jul 15, 2017 at 08:27 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

photomadnz wrote:
NISI have an 150mm adaptor for the 12-24mm https://nisifilters.com.au/product/nisi-150mm-filter-holder-for-sony-fe-12-24mm-f4-g-lenses/

They also say "No Vignetting" with the Sony 12-24/4.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

There's another option in a form of clip-on filter but may not work well at 12mm. It may also influence field curvature.
These filters go behind the lens and are mainly used for astro to reduce light pollution. A few months ago, this company released a ND 64 (6-stops) as well.

http://stcoptics.com/en/clip_filter/

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:06 PM
mjm6
• •
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I have been testing out the NiSi 150mm holder today a little...

It's quiet nice, and frankly, while bigger than a 100mmm filter kit, it is really no more inconvenient. They both have the need to be fiddled with to get on the lens, bot require removal of the hood on some lenses, and they are both bulky.

The one thing I noticed is that the 150mm filters are a bit too wide to really comfortably be held in my fingers by the edges, so that means they will probably be far more likely to be dropped if I'm not careful. That will be an expensive lesson when it happens, so I'll be very deliberate while pulling them out and putting them in the holder.

I discovered that the Nisi holder with the Sony 12-24 mount is actually a near perfect fit to slide on the 24-70 GM without an adapter. It's a little snug, but I think it works OK, and will be safe to use in that way. For lenses that have a smaller diameter, I think it will work well to use an 82mm filter ring and then a step-up adapter to go from the smaller lens to that filter ring. So, no adapter collar is really required, other than the 82mm filter ring (buy a cheap UV filter and take the glass out).

As for performance, I think the Nisi 10-stop filter may produce sharper images than the comparable Hitech Firecrest filter. Not positive, but that appears to be the case with the limited testing I did on the 24-70 using both filters.

The 100mm Firecrest kit is certainly easier to use a polarizer with, though.

It appears that the color rendering of both 10-stop filters is quite similar, and I was able to get a very close rendering to unfiltered with some color temperature adjustments. Neither appeared to have substantial IR leakage, which is great. Nice, clean blacks from both.

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

mjm6 wrote:
I have been testing out the NiSi 150mm holder today a little...

It's quiet nice, and frankly, while bigger than a 100mmm filter kit, it is really no more inconvenient. They both have the need to be fiddled with to get on the lens, bot require removal of the hood on some lenses, and they are both bulky.

The one thing I noticed is that the 150mm filters are a bit too wide to really comfortably be held in my fingers by the edges, so that means they will probably be far more likely to be dropped if I'm not careful. That
...Show more

Could you post some pictures of the set-up. It may help some of us make a decision on this. Did you try their square polarizer?

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:54 PM
twomblywhite

p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Hello. Just joined the forum 👍🏻.

Fred - thank you for all of the great testing and lens information. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks (primarily the epic thread covering issues with the cv 15/5.6 III and all of the sample variation and choppy ☺️. I was able to get a mint copy recently on eBay that appears to be super-good in the corners. Saved a load of money which is always nice.

I see that you started this thread with a comparison between the fe 12-24/4 and the cv 12/5.6 in which the cv got pretty spanked. I didn't see a comparison with the cv 15/5.6 at 15mm. Did you do this comparison?

Thanks again for the great work.

Jul 15, 2017 at 08:22 PM
photomadnz
• •
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Agreed. NISI ND filters are top notch. Better color neutrality then even the Firecrest in my opinion.

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:14 PM
mjm6
• •
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred,

Here are some quick cell phone shots with the a7rII and 24-70 and the 12-24 plus the 100mm Hitech filters for size comparison.

Thee images with the gear on a table...

One shows the two holders on top of the filter box/pouch. The two filter holders will fit 6 filters each, and are about the same depth (about 1.5"). The second shows all the gear in a ThinkTank Photo 50 bag. It fits nicely, but no room for anything else. The third image shows the Firecreast holder in front of the Nisi holder.

The last two images show the filter holder on the 12-24 lens, and with a gradient ND filter inserted.

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:25 PM
mjm6
• •
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I have the square polarizer, but haven't done any testing with it yet.

The Nisi holder can rotate once mounted on the lens, so you can do that to get proper polarization. However, if you are using a ND grad filter, you will have to decide which filter is more important for the orientation.

This is a clear benefit of the smaller Firecrest system (independent rotation for the PL filter), but that one won't accommodate the lens.

Overall, if I didn't need the larger filters, I'd stick with the 100mm filters for sure, but for travel with the 12-24, the Nisi seems to be the way to go.

Actually, if someone makes a round 150mm polarizer filter, that may work well in this holder (like the old Cokin PL filter for the P system). Looks like Benro makes one. Not sure if it would fit well or not, though. I may look into that.

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

twomblywhite wrote:
Hello. Just joined the forum 👍🏻.

Fred - thank you for all of the great testing and lens information. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks (primarily the epic thread covering issues with the cv 15/5.6 III and all of the sample variation and choppy ☺️. I was able to get a mint copy recently on eBay that appears to be super-good in the corners. Saved a load of money which is always nice.

I see that you started this thread with a comparison between the fe 12-24/4 and the cv 12/5.6 in which the cv got pretty spanked. I
...Show more

Welcome to the forum!
The CV 15 vs 12-24 starts on this page. The prime did well but the zoom is still slightly better.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1498485/11

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:25 PM
mjm6
• •
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Here are a few new images...

I shot some stars in Sacramento, so this isn't a great test, BUT, I think the lens does reasonably well. Not perfect, but overall it looks pretty god all things considered. It seems to hold a nice round star past midfield, and most of the way into the corner, but it falls apart a little in the last 10% or so.

The first two are shot at 24mm and f4, and I cropped tight into the corner to you can see pixel level of the star tight in the corner.

Same for the next two at 12mm and f4.

I bracketed focus to see if I could get better performance, and on my camera, it seems that focusing at 12m seems to produce about the best results.

I made some contrast, color, and exposure adjustments, but I left it at default NR, etc. These were shot at 3200, 3.2 seconds.

I hope these come out ok in JPG...

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:23 AM
dgpfotografia

p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

photomadnz wrote:
Agreed. NISI ND filters are top notch. Better color neutrality then even the Firecrest in my opinion.

First of all, I apologize If I go too out of topic with this post.

The site On Landscape (pay site) just made a review of 10-stops 100mm filters: https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2017/07/nd-filters/ , they fully agree with your affirmation. The Nisi always end up in the Very Good category (max one in the test) while the Firecrest ends up in the (Good), for color neutrality. The test methodology looks quite good, with spectra analysis of the filtres and sharpness (only conclusion about this last part... stay away of Hoya 10 Stops ND).

Anyway, before the article, I bought two Firecrest NDs. Circular ones for 82 mm thread to be used on my 24-70 GM with the lens hood on (I have the Lee filter system, but if there is a slight rain, I like to have circular ones so I can use the Lens Hood to protect the filter from rain drops... ). I have a 6-stop ND and a 3-stop ND... the 3-stop I have not even took a picture with it. But I tested the neutrality of the 6-stops one.

Test-setup: I used a X-Rite color checker target iluminated with two LED lamps (cheap Youngnou ones... I don't expect them to have a good CRI). As camera for the test, I used what I have, a Sony A7 II + Sony 24-70 GM. The lens is at 70 mm, and I did not much care about focusing, so pay no attention to that. I used the color checker to manually set the white balance in the camera without filter. This is the result:

Measured in Photoshop, the previous image is quite neutral: R: 160, G: 160, B: 160

Now, I put the Firecrest ND filter, without changing the WB, I compensate for the exposure increasing the time (the filter is really a 6 + 1/3 stop filter, close enough.... This is the result:

Measured in Photoshop, the previous image has a slight tint of green-blue: R: 153, G: 159, B: 155.

Corrected the WB in Lightroom, no color cast remains... not like the infamous LEE Bigstopper, that it is imposible to fully color correct. It is more, If I set the camera in AWB, this are the results:

No filter:

Measured in photoshop: R: 152, G: 153, B: 151

With filter:

Measured in photoshop: R: 155, G: 155, B: 155

The camera is able to fully compensate the tint of the filter in AWB.

I also bought a Nisi 10-stop filter in 82mm circular shape... it should arrive next Thursday, I will also do similar tests to this one to it. If you are interested I will post them here.

Best regards,

David

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:09 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Yesterday, I tested the 12-24/4 G for coma and it did quite well from wide open:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1500324/1#14112877

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:32 PM
dgpfotografia

p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Hi all,

As promised, here you have the results of my tests with the Nisi Pro Nano ND of 10 stops in circular configuration of 82 mm filter thread.

Same procedure as my previous post in this thread. Using my Sony A7 II + Sony 24-70 GM and two LED lamps to illuminate an Colochecker.

First test, measuring the wb in camera and fixing it, without filter:

Measured in photoshop: Red: 166, Green: 166 and Blue: 166.

Second image with same fixed WB as previous one and with filter. Increased exposure time (I overexposed by 1/3 the previous one, but it shouldn't affect the test):

Measured in photoshop: Red: 190, Green: 188,and Blue: 197. As you can see there is a sliight tint to the blue. Nothing to worry about really.

Same test as before but leaving the camera in AWB, without filter:

Measured in photoshop: Red: 163, Green: 163 and Blue: 163.

With filter:

Measured in photoshop: Red: 187, Green: 187, Blue: 188. Practical neutral.

Jul 20, 2017 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password