9              27       28       end

Techart PRO FAQ

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Techart PRO FAQ

rji2goleez wrote:
Fred,

I have the newly acquired FD200/2.8 SSC and the FD 24/2.8 but I hardly use the latter.

The FD 24/2.8 is a good lens step down but CA is its weakness. I never tried the FD 200/2.8 but if it's anything like the FD 300/4, it will be excellent.

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:01 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Techart PRO FAQ

Fred Miranda wrote:
The FD 24/2.8 is a good lens step down but CA is its weakness. I never tried the FD 200/2.8 but if it's anything like the FD 300/4, it will be excellent.

I have to say, for what I spent ($125), it's pretty darn good. It has enough sharpness . . . Even wide open. Color profile is somewhat flat and it does exhibit CA but both are correctable in post. I posted a series wide open and stopped down to f/8 starting here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/1906#13787324

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:20 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Techart PRO FAQ

rji2goleez wrote:
I have to say, for what I spent ($125), it's pretty darn good. It has enough sharpness . . . Even wide open. Color profile is somewhat flat and it does exhibit CA but both are correctable in post. I posted a series wide open and stopped down to f/8 starting here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/1906#13787324

Interesting. I had the New FD internal focus 2.8/200 for a while. It was sharp enough, though nothing to write home about. But the LoCA was amazing, and and quite hard to correct at wide apertures -- it was a job for multiple layers with different defringeing on each in PS, and manually blend. Only worth it if you really like the image..

I'm sometimes tempted by the EF 2.8/200L; it's about as good as a good 70-200 f2.8 and much smaller and lighter. You can get the first version for less than 400 sometimes. My understanding is that it's optically the same as the second version: anyone know for sure?

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:38 PM
Kurtloup

Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Techart PRO FAQ

rji2goleez wrote:
Yeah, I also ordered the Leicaist FD to M adapter from ebay. The K&F is half the cost but who knows if it clears . . .

I tried the K&F FD to M adapter. It will only fit if you remove the locking ring. Doing that, you don't have aperture control, but I did play around with it like that. I attempted to modify it on my metal lathe. The problem I ran into is too much material needed to be removed where the pin attaches to the locking ring. The pin is screwed into the ring and threads needed to be removed. If the pin was press fit, it may have worked. I had to order a Leicaist.

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:02 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Techart PRO FAQ

Has anyone used the TAP with a Zeiss MP 100/2 or Nikon AiS 135/2.5 ? I've just received the Leicaist Nikon Ai (F) adapter and can not get either to work at all. I've already upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

I set the FL accordingly (f29 - 90mm and f32 - 135mm) which records in Exif (picture review) after setting up. I've tried both AF (in A mode) also AF in A then switching to MF and back to AF via C2, and in M mode.

The TAP sounds like it's making an effort but there is no focusing change whatsoever. Even manually focusing to very close to perfect focus and then using TAP doesn't make any difference, there is no movement of the helicoid.

My Voigtlander M mount did work perfectly. It's not working now.

The TAP helicoid extends and retracts fine when the camera is switched on but doesn't when I try to focus. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong ? Surely it's one of my settings ?

EDIT : Leicaist adapter for PK-LM (Cosina 55/1.2) also just arrived. Same issue as above.

EDIT 2 : IMPORTANT NOTE : It seems the TAP does NOT work with back-button focus. As soon as I tuned this off the TAP seems to be functioning perfectly again.

NOTE 1. TAP works fine on both of my 135 lenses (M42 and Nikon AiS) if registered at 90mm. Some minor pre-focusing required.

NOTE 2. TAP even works with my Lens Baby Edge 80 ! This is a f2.8 Tilt/Shift lens without any distance scales. Some minor pre-focusing required.

Nov 05, 2016 at 08:23 AM
genji
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Techart PRO FAQ

Frogfish wrote:
Has anyone used the TAP with a Zeiss MP 100/2 or Nikon AiS 135/2.5 ? I've just received the Leicaist Nikon Ai (F) adapter and can not get either to work at all. I've already upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

I set the FL accordingly (f29 - 90mm and f32 - 135mm) which records in Exif (picture review) after setting up. I've tried both AF (in A mode) also AF in A then switching to MF and back to AF via C2, and in M mode.

The TAP sounds like it's making an effort but there is no focusing
...Show more

As originally shipped from the factory, the default setting of F32 for a 135mm lens switches the Techart PRO into Manual Focus mode, whereas all other aperture settings (from F11 to F29) invoke AF. However, this default setting for the 135mm focal length can be modified via the LM-EA7-CONFIG app, which is different from the firmware update app (and currently Android only).

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:50 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Techart PRO FAQ

genji wrote:
As originally shipped from the factory, the default setting of F32 for a 135mm lens switches the Techart PRO into Manual Focus mode, whereas all other aperture settings (from F11 to F29) invoke AF. However, this default setting for the 135mm focal length can be modified via the LM-EA7-CONFIG app, which is different from the firmware update app (and currently Android only).

Thanks Genji - I had read that which is why I set it to f29 when trying out the 135mm. It works fine though. And I use an iPhone so no luck with the app I'm afraid..

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:55 AM
genji
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Techart PRO FAQ

Frogfish wrote:
Thanks Genji - I had read that which is why I set it to f29 when trying out the 135mm. It works fine though. And I use an iPhone so no luck with the app I'm afraid..

Didn't mean to teach you how to suck eggs... I use an iPhone too but I needed an extra mobile number to use for two-step verification on web services so I bought an el-cheapo Android phone for AUD25 (~USD19). It runs the LM-EA7-CONFIG app perfectly.

[Edited] Just noticed you live in Shanghai so you can no doubt pick one up for even less. It's worth doing because you can then assign your most commonly used focal lengths to the smaller F numbers so you don't have to go all the way to F29/F32 to set 90mm/135mm lenses. 24mm is ultrawide for me so I use F11 for that, F13 for 28mm, and so on.

Nov 05, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Techart PRO FAQ

genji wrote:
Didn't mean to teach you how to suck eggs... I use an iPhone too but I needed an extra mobile number to use for two-step verification on web services so I bought an el-cheapo Android phone for AUD25 (~USD19). It runs the LM-EA7-CONFIG app perfectly.

[Edited] Just noticed you live in Shanghai so you can no doubt pick one up for even less. It's worth doing because you can then assign your most commonly used focal lengths to the smaller F numbers so you don't have to go all the way to F29/F32 to set 90mm/135mm lenses. 24mm is ultrawide for
...Show more
Thanks Genji - no offence taken at all !

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:01 PM
ltruong8
• •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Techart PRO FAQ

Hi all, is there any body use the TAP on 7r mark 1 and happy with the result? I am thinking about buying one to use with my 7r and zeiss 35 1.4 zm but I see Techart does not recomend using the Tap on 7r so I am not sure if I should buy it or not cause it is not a cheap adapter. Thanks for any advices!

Nov 07, 2016 at 03:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Techart PRO FAQ

ltruong8 wrote:
Hi all, is there any body use the TAP on 7r mark 1 and happy with the result? I am thinking about buying one to use with my 7r and zeiss 35 1.4 zm but I see Techart does not recomend using the Tap on 7r so I am not sure if I should buy it or not cause it is not a cheap adapter. Thanks for any advices!

Don't do it. It barely works at all. The adapter really depends on the PDAF of the MkII versions to work.

Nov 07, 2016 at 03:20 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Techart PRO FAQ

Problem with TechArt, and possible addition to FAQ

With a lens mounted on the camera, the whole TechArt system was wobbling on the camera!

Eventually I realised that the TechArt's camera mount plate - the one that's like the mount on a lens - was lose.

Tightening the four tiny screws with a 1.4mm jeweller's screwdriver bought it back to normal! It was wobbling badly, and if it had come off, might have been hard to get back (especially if the screws were lost)

So two things:

(1) Does anyone know if there's a reason not to use some loc-tite on these screws? Seems tempting, because the screws screwed back very easily so it's not clear they won't just loosen again. Although getting the Loc-Tite in might involve removing the screw, which could be not a good idea

(2) Maybe (especially once we have resolved the issue of loc-tite yes or no should we have an entry in the FAQ about this issue? Firstly we may be able to prevent problems by urging people to keep an eye on the mount screws on the back of the adapter, and second in cases where they get loose, we may be able to save people from the hassle of shipping back to Hong Kong....

Nov 08, 2016 at 02:39 AM
genji
• • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Techart PRO FAQ

DavidBM wrote:
Problem with TechArt, and possible addition to FAQ

With a lens mounted on the camera, the whole TechArt system was wobbling on the camera!

Eventually I realised that the TechArt's camera mount plate - the one that's like the mount on a lens - was lose.

Tightening the four tiny screws with a 1.4mm jeweller's screwdriver bought it back to normal! It was wobbling badly, and if it had come off, might have been hard to get back (especially if the screws were lost)

So two things:

(1) Does anyone know if there's a reason not to use some loc-tite on these screws? Seems tempting,
...Show more

Out of interest, although the answers will probably not point to the immediate cause, which lens was attached when you noticed the wobble and what is the heaviest lens you have used with the TAP? And we should definitely have an FAQ entry about the issue -- I seem to recall that an FM member in Melbourne reported a similar problem.

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:03 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Techart PRO FAQ

genji wrote:
Out of interest, although the answers will probably not point to the immediate cause, which lens was attached when you noticed the wobble and what is the heaviest lens you have used with the TAP? And we should definitely have an FAQ entry about the issue -- I seem to recall that an FM member in Melbourne reported a similar problem.

When I noticed it it was the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.2; I think its around 285g from memory so well within weight. I think the heaviest I've used is probably the C/Y 35-70.

I do plan to use it on the Apo-Sonnar; but only for tripod mounted portraits with a tripod mount around the M adapter, so the adapter will be moving the camera not the lens, and it'd be the M adapter that would be in effect taking the torque of the lens, not the TAP.

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:28 AM
genji
• • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Techart PRO FAQ

DavidBM wrote:
When I noticed it it was the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.2; I think its around 285g from memory so well within weight. I think the heaviest I've used is probably the C/Y 35-70.

I do plan to use it on the Apo-Sonnar; but only for tripod mounted portraits with a tripod mount around the M adapter, so the adapter will be moving the camera not the lens, and it'd be the M adapter that would be in effect taking the torque of the lens, not the TAP.

According to the Zeiss datasheet, the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 weighs 475g, so still well within the "allowable" weight. Rather than using loctite on the actual screws, would it be feasible to put a dab of something on the screw heads (which are slightly recessed)? Or would that not discourage them from loosening?

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:44 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Techart PRO FAQ

genji wrote:
According to the Zeiss datasheet, the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 weighs 475g, so still well within the "allowable" weight. Rather than using loctite on the actual screws, would it be feasible to put a dab of something on the screw heads (which are slightly recessed)? Or would that not discourage them from loosening?

Good question. If it worked, it would be better, because you could dig out the loctite if you need to access the interior for repair. I don't know how much it would discourage them from loosening, I suppose that depends on just what the forces are that are doing the loosening. I suppose I would worry that little shards of loctite might come off after time and end up on the sensor.

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:48 AM
genji
• • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Techart PRO FAQ

DavidBM wrote:
Good question. If it worked, it would be better, because you could dig out the loctite if you need to access the interior for repair. I don't know how much it would discourage them from loosening, I suppose that depends on just what the forces are that are doing the loosening. I suppose I would worry that little shards of loctite might come off after time and end up on the sensor.

On second thought, I'll retract that suggestion. It's quite likely that little shards of loctite would end up on the sensor.

Nov 08, 2016 at 04:20 AM
navmannz
• •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Techart PRO FAQ

genji wrote:

I had a problem with the screws coming loose on the lower front plate, exposing the focusing mechanism - my adapter is currently on its way back to Hong Kong and I've been promised a replacement. I must say that Loctite crossed my mind for these...

John

Nov 08, 2016 at 08:37 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Techart PRO FAQ

Another minor thing for the FAQ

If anyone gets the Leicaist adapter for Nikon, the little metal lever that operates the lens release is located in the only position where you could otherwise fit a Novoflex tripod ring! Other Leicaist adapters I've got are fine with the ring.

This means that I can't find a way to mount my Apo-Sonnar on a tripod so that the adapter moves the camera rather than the lens (the Apo-Sonnar at 925 g is too heavy for the TechArt to move safely).

Any suggestions for tripod rings for the Apo-Sonnar folks? When I'm using MF all is fine - I have a Novoflex adapter that the Novoflex ring fits perfectly. But for portrait use I'd like AF...

Nov 09, 2016 at 12:52 AM
dgurtch
• •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Techart PRO FAQ

I have bought many adapters from Rainbow Imaging. They are well made and VERY inexpensive. Has anyone tried them with a TAP?
TIA
Dave

Nov 09, 2016 at 09:24 PM
1       2       3              7      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password