Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              32       33       end

Archive 2016 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

40Driggs
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Somebody has to try out this adapter on the original a7. I'm holding out a small hope that the adapter will allow the use of native focusing (PDAF). I would like to pick up a few of the art primes.

Mar 28, 2016 at 06:51 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

40Driggs wrote:
Somebody has to try out this adapter on the original a7. I'm holding out a small hope that the adapter will allow the use of native focusing (PDAF). I would like to pick up a few of the art primes.

CORRECTED - The original A7R didn't have any phase detection (PDAF) hardware - it's not possible to add it later.

The A7 has PDAF, but it seems extremely unlikely to me that Sony would expend any effort to extend the capability of that old* camera. And for the Sigma adapter to utilize such capabilities the camera would likely need the firmware changes which enabled PDAF on the Sony adapter, which was released for the A7ii and A7Rii.

*'old' being a highly flexible term in these days of quarterly product revisions.

Edited on Mar 28, 2016 at 08:27 AM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2016 at 07:21 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

MikeEvangelist wrote:
The original A7 and A7R didn't have any phase detection (PDAF) hardware - it's not possible to add it later.

The original A7r doesn't have PDAF, but the original A7 does have PDAF.

The A7 and the A6000 both have PDAF, but support PDAF for native E mount lenses only. In addition Sigma lists the A6000 as well as the A7 as cameras that will work with their new MC-11 mount adapter. If Sigma has pulled off PDAF even with the A6000 and original A7, then that just makes Sigma's achievement even more amazing.

Mar 28, 2016 at 07:28 AM
drjs
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

40Driggs wrote:

Your statement is correct for A7R and A7S(II) only. Not the original A7. A7 on paper has the exact same PDAF unit as A7 II which has 117 PDAF and 25 Contrast detection points on sensor. If there is a reason SONY can't implement phase detection for A7 it is not obvious from looking at the spec and SONY has never explained to the customers the reason (other than commercially, obviously)

See this table for reference:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7-ii

Mar 28, 2016 at 07:41 AM
drjs
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

MikeEvangelist wrote:
The original A7 and A7R didn't have any phase detection (PDAF) hardware - it's not possible to add it later.

Your statement is correct for A7R and A7S(II) only. Not the original A7. A7 on paper has the exact same PDAF unit as A7 II which has 117 PDAF and 25 Contrast detection points on sensor. If there is a reason SONY can't implement phase detection for A7 it is not obvious from looking at the spec and SONY has never explained to the customers the reason (other than commercially, obviously)

See this table for reference:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7-ii

Mar 28, 2016 at 07:44 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

bjornthun wrote:
The original A7r doesn't have PDAF, but the original A7 does have PDAF.

Thanks for the correction! I mistakenly grouped the two old models together.

Mike

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:22 AM
drjs
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Posted by Brian Smith today:

"When tested with pre-release firmware and supported lenses the MC-11 adapter offers fast and accurate PDAF and provided full AF functions for stills including focus tracking and Eye-AF. It also enables video AF with Sony mirrorless cameras that offer PDAF – including Sony a7, a7II, a7RII, a6000 & a6300."

Very promising clues for A7/A6000 achieve fast PDAF via adapter.

Mar 28, 2016 at 01:54 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Good news I have the 24-35 and the 35. This is the reason i bought them full native operation

Mar 28, 2016 at 02:01 PM
pgeorges
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

The sigma adapter is converting sigma global vision lenses to act as native Sony e mount lenses. It has nothing at all to do with the tech Sony added to the latest gen cameras to support adapted dslr lenses.

Mar 30, 2016 at 06:38 PM
Blutengelnouta

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Regarding PDAF-support for Sony A7/A6000, I e-mailed Sigma some weeks back specifically asking about these two cameras and they told me the following:

"Yes, the MC-11 will allow full use of all the capabilities of the cameras including Phase Detection Autofocus. The MC-11 has Firmware specifically designed for each Sigma “Global Vision” lens and the Sony E mount cameras."

So, excellent news for those that have been longing for some real tele-lenses for E-mount!

Apr 04, 2016 at 05:39 AM
drjs
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Blutengelnouta wrote:
Regarding PDAF-support for Sony A7/A6000, I e-mailed Sigma some weeks back specifically asking about these two cameras and they told me the following:

"Yes, the MC-11 will allow full use of all the capabilities of the cameras including Phase Detection Autofocus. The MC-11 has Firmware specifically designed for each Sigma “Global Vision” lens and the Sony E mount cameras."

So, excellent news for those that have been longing for some real tele-lenses for E-mount!

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing!

Apr 04, 2016 at 07:02 AM
bwcolor
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

GMPhotography wrote:
Good news I have the 24-35 and the 35. This is the reason i bought them full native operation

Didn't you subsequently cancel the MC-11 order? If so, I assume that you returned both lenses. Where did the 35mm Art fall short of expectations?

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:13 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Yes I did . The Sigma 35 Art was the best of them. Very sharp on center and corners starts getting good at 5.6. Nothing wron with lens except bokeh was good not great . I may actually buy it back after the adapter is out. I sold everything Sigma to grab the Sony 24-70 GM. I was going to wait this purchase out but was still in my Sigma glass return period so I decided to return the 24-35 cancel the adapter as I paid for it full. Had to sell the 35 1.4 Art though. Good news is it only cost me 35 dollars in the process. So it was best to do it now than wait. I'll have to see how this Sony zoom really is though. I will have all my tests to compare this week. So that should prove interesting to members and myself. I figure I can always go back to Sigma if this does not work out. But the 35 Art I really have nothing bad to say about it, if anything a little clinical, bokeh is good, bokeh balls fair, did not notice onion rings so that's a plus.

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:22 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

jimmy462 wrote:
According to that link the 35mm + MC-11 = 155,500 Yen = $1375.19 USD, and the 50mm + MC-11 = 164,500 Yen = $1454.79 USD. Also of note is the 5,000 availability limit from the google translation...

<<

Sigma Corporation (President: Kazuto Yamaki) is, and SIGMA Mount Converter MC-11 to extend the lens system, high-quality lens series in pursuit of the best optical performance SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art or SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | a combination of Art the "SIGMA Mount Converter MC-11 lens kit", will be released worldwide 5,000 limited.

>>

...oofah. From...

Google Translate: What's New: 2016.03.25 SIGMA
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sigma-photo.co.jp%2Fnew%2Fnew_topic.php%3Fid%3D997&edit-text=

Of note, (as of this writing) there is no link to that article/news-item at the Sigma Japan English page...

What's New - SIGMA CORPORATION:
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/

...or the Sigma USA news page...

News & Events | Sigma Corporation of America:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-lounge/news-events

...perhaps the combo offer is limited to certain markets?

...Show more

I noticed today on B&H that the kit's will be available here in the U.S. and do represent a savings of about $150 (in the case of the Art 35/1.4 + MC-11). That kit is listed as $999.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244104-REG/sigma_zh954_35mm_f_1_4_dg_hsm.html

Apr 05, 2016 at 05:19 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I noticed today on B&H that the kit's will be available here in the U.S. and do represent a savings of about $150 (in the case of the Art 35/1.4 + MC-11). That kit is listed as $999.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244104-REG/sigma_zh954_35mm_f_1_4_dg_hsm.html

Nice find! Also, the 50mm f/1.4 + MC-11...

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon EF and MC-11 ZI954:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244101-REG/sigma_zi954_50mm_f_1_4_dg_hsm.html

...would love to see a bundle with the 18-35mm f/1.8 Art and the 150-600mm Sport!

Apr 05, 2016 at 07:23 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

FYI - B&H has updated the expected availability on the MC-11 adapter to 'beginning of May'.

Apr 08, 2016 at 09:07 AM
Andy
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Well, it looks like I'm getting the MC-11 directly from Sigma, trouble is, I'm on a plane tomorrow to New Zealand leading two workshops there until May 1. They're gonna Fedex it to me in NZ on April 15. In hopes of actually receiving it, I bought the Sigma 150-600 and will bring that along and test it out on my a7rII and a6300. Will report!

Oh, side note: the 150-600 (Contemporary) is super light! It's a cinch to hand-hold. That's why I bought this one first. I have seen reviews favoring both the Contemporary and the more expensive and heavier big brother, the Sport version for sharpness. We'll see what real life shooting brings out. If it's not sharp enough, *and* the MC-11 does what we all hope it does, then I'll return the Contemporary version and get the Sport version.

I'm rather hopeful that this will solve the long telephoto that I need for wildlife!

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

I will be testing the MC-11 with the 150-600 on Wednesday when I get the adapter.

Does anyone know how much the MC-11 weighs?

Apr 24, 2016 at 03:20 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Looking forward to this test as that's the combo that I'm really interested to use with A7rII (and maybe A6300).

Fred Miranda wrote:
I will be testing the MC-11 with the 150-600 on Wednesday when I get the adapter.

Apr 24, 2016 at 04:03 PM
ThanhHa

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Sigma MC-11: Compatibility, Performance Thread.

Fred Miranda wrote:

Fred, the MC-11 weighs about 120 gram.

Apr 24, 2016 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.