1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

KKFung wrote:
I don't want to dig into those scientific DR data too much (though I graduated from engineering) but I can share some actual use of the camera, I have both 1Dx and the brand new 5DsR, I found the raw file from them is quiet different in presenting the dark tone in the first place. In 100% look and shadow push the 5DsR have cleaner shadow, 1Dx still have some banding when push over 3EV. However in actual post processing I seldom need to push that much on 1Dx like the 5DsR's

Spectacular view KKFung! Looking at the finished images I would say that both camera's are providing incredible IQ. With all the whining on forums about how far behind Canon is it's good to see the quality of actual use.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

gdanmitchell wrote:
And the notion that "this is a technical forum" (which we hear from time to time), while true, suggests a very limited idea of the purpose of the "technical," perhaps that the technology itself and for its own singular sake is the only thing.
Dan

Nobody has claimed such a thing. But if one wants to get on the soapbox and preach it helps to dream up such a strawman.

Furthermore, there are perhaps a few to whom technology/gear is the only thing and for whom an interest in the process of making photographs is non-existent or a distant second. They should be able to participate here without scolds interrupting them with boring homilies.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:55 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

Maybe an exposure latitude of D750 and 5DS in post to refresh some biased minds how the IQ can be improved from a better DR cam:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5774/20641499831_69fc85c085_o.jpg

Read this if you want to know more: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/7

Aug 16, 2015 at 04:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

While there seems to be a focus on how the +6 EV diff's are ... some folks are going to take serious notice of the difference @ +0 EV or +2 E diff's. The Nikon just looks "flat" and "muddy" at / near proper exposure.

This comp seems pretty compelling ... but probably not for the same reasons you intended it to be (noting the DR within the crop @ +0 EV / +2 EV).

Aug 16, 2015 at 04:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

RustyBug wrote:
While there seems to be a focus on how the +6 EV diff's are ... some folks are going to take serious notice of the difference @ +0 EV or +2 E diff's. The Nikon just looks "flat" and "muddy" at / near proper exposure.

This comp seems pretty compelling ... but probably not for the same reasons you intended it to be (noting the DR within the crop @ +0 EV / +2 EV).

No, my tolerance is 2 stops max. No one willing to go to that extreme that affects the aesthetics of the shot. Just a sample I put together to show how easy to work with more DR cam. Even with 2stops, you can see the IQ differences between D750 and 5DS here. I can even get away in full speed with D750 4 stops easily.

Please note above sample was derived from the lab and it is a joke when compared those noise to actual noise signature in the real DR world; where canon sucks in these cases. To illustrate what I say, here is a 2 stop pushed sample of 5Ds from a more than 10 stops DR case look like: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1379418/9#13139503

Edited on Aug 16, 2015 at 06:11 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2015 at 04:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

mttran wrote:

Even with 2stops, you can see the IQ differences between D750 and 5DS here.

Agreed ... although I suspect we are on opposites sides of why we agree to that statement.

So, if your tolerance is 2 stops max ... why all the hubbub about 6 stops? That's kinda why I'm not enthused by the 6 stops, and would prefer to bracket, so I keep my tolerance in better check. To that, it sounds like we're in a degree of agreement.

Aug 16, 2015 at 05:09 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

RustyBug wrote:
Agreed ... although I suspect we are on opposites sides of why we agree to that statement.

So, if your tolerance is 2 stops max ... why all the hubbub about 6 stops? That's kinda why I'm not enthused by the 6 stops, and would prefer to bracket, so I keep my tolerance in better check. To that, it sounds like we're in a degree of agreement.

It is a bad habits from an engineering requirement that I deal everyday. The more the better, in this case to deal with the worse DR you might run into in the fields. Some more text I just added to my previous post, hope it make senses to your later questions. Now you can see why a handheld shooter needs that much DR room to collect the data.

Aug 16, 2015 at 05:23 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Nobody has claimed such a thing. But if one wants to get on the soapbox and preach it helps to dream up such a strawman.

Furthermore, there are perhaps a few to whom technology/gear is the only thing and for whom an interest in the process of making photographs is non-existent or a distant second. They should be able to participate here without scolds interrupting them with boring homilies.

He has been doing this to everyone since the low iso banding crisis day. This is not new and everyone knows that already. Best to ignore what he saying.

Aug 16, 2015 at 06:41 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

RustyBug wrote:

I would agree. I'll take the IQ of the 5DsR within 2 stops. I hate that washed out HDR look.

Aug 16, 2015 at 06:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

ggreene wrote:
I would agree. I'll take the IQ of the 5DsR within 2 stops. I hate that washed out HDR look.

some people just can't understand the logic behind the DR requirement, how we use it and why we need it.

Aug 16, 2015 at 06:47 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

Everything in a camera related to IQ , not only DR or DR weight the most, don't tolerate the truth

Aug 16, 2015 at 07:42 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

KKFung wrote:
Everything in a camera related to IQ , not only DR or DR weight the most, don't tolerate the truth

KKFung, some conflict that I try to avoid, I'd rather let this article speaks it to you then: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/7

Edited on Aug 16, 2015 at 09:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

mttran, your single-minded focus on DR works for you, but for very few other people.

Most photographers consider a balance of features to be important and do not focus on one single feature.

You are not persuading anybody by repeating links and repeating ill-considered arguments. You most especially do not persuade by adopting a superior attitude.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:14 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

Monito:

I am not here to persuade anyone. I am here to help new member to read better data that has been mis-informed by those biased people like you; so stop trolling.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

mttran wrote:
KKFung, some conflict that I try to avoid, I'd rather let this article speaks it to you then: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/7

Thanks Michael, but I'm not a new member of photography

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:28 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

I'd also love to see the comparison between an exmor-RS FF sensor and the current sensor in the A7rII and the 5Dsr...too bad it doesn't exist yet (in public) and won't be out for another year or two. Strange how some are talking about the future specs of an unknown camera...

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:33 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

KKFung wrote:
Thanks Michael, but I'm not a new member of photography

You still an exception from me, cheer

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:34 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

mttran wrote:
Maybe an exposure latitude of D750 and 5DS in post to refresh some biased minds how the IQ can be improved from a better DR cam:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5774/20641499831_69fc85c085_o.jpg

Read this if you want to know more: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/7

The 5DS R pushed 4 stops looks better than the D750 pushed 6 stops. Better detail, better color and the same noise, even before equalizing resolution. I would say the D750 has about 1.5 stops advantage over the 5DS R. Wonder why you keep on saying that Sony sensors can do 10-11 stops DR but Canon only 7-8 stops.

Aug 17, 2015 at 03:42 AM
scopedude

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

Had a chance to choose among D810. A7Rii and 5DSR. I picked the latter. The IQ is simply superb - and IQ is not made by DR alone. The downside; I need to retire my ZE 25/2. The corners are just not made for 50MP

Aug 17, 2015 at 04:31 AM
dugaut
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Interesting Reference Data on Dynamic Range - 5dsr

I'm a math teacher and I loaded up the DR graph with 5dsr, pentax 645z, d4/s, d800/810, 5dmkiii, phase one iq250, canon g1x, sony a7rii. I'm always leery when so much data gets crunched into a single graph.

It's great to see the differences on the graph but ability with camera, planning , execution of the plan, and post-production make the differences I see in the graph less profound.

But it's another tool in analyzing what would be a best purchase for an individual and their specific needs.

In my own mind, knowing my ability to parse these differences in my final work, anything less than a one stop difference isn't that important taking into account the differences differ among cameras at different iso values.

My most important work I always try and do at iso 100 or thereabouts but I often find myself not using my cameras in the most pristine conditions even if it's not my intent and iso then goes into the zones where the differences in dr start to get close.

I wonder if others have put a theoretical value out there for dr for their own work given their own personal goals and abilities when making purchasing decisions.

One value for me that was striking is that by iso 12800 the dr values are around a half or so the max dr for that camera. You would think a picture taken at iso 12800 would be deleted immediately. Yet we compare cameras at higher iso values.

My struggle is owning the pentax 645z for my summertime landscape photography, but owning several canon lenses for my school year sports photography. I winced when the 5dsr came out and I was using my 1dx for macro photography with the canon 180 f/3.5 macro. DR wouldn't be at the top of my list in my decision to sell the z and get the 5dsr.

Understood I'm bringing another variable into the equation by talking about lenses, but lenses are far more important to me than the differences in dr among the same class of camera I see in the graph.

Aug 17, 2015 at 06:36 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.