New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

daskibum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

Just got a D750. All my lenses seem to work ok (they do hunt a little) except for my 300mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S. It only attempts to AF for a split second at startup, then nothing. If I hit AF and turn the focus a tiny bit manually it will then attempt to focus one time, but once it stops it doesn't start again. The lens works flawlessly on my other bodies. If I put it in live view and manual focus I get a slight buzz and the LCD shuts down for a second. Online research I find its a common issue with TC, and only find one incident where the lens alone doesn't work. Anyone else have an issue like this?

Sending both camera and lens back to Nikon and hoping they don't try to charge to fix it, but given their service track record I am not sure it will do any good. Not to start a fanboy war, but if they try to charge... how is Canon quality and service?

May 05, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

so if people tell you Canon has a better service you will send it to them?

May 05, 2015 at 04:15 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

Hulot wrote:
so if people tell you Canon has a better service you will send it to them?

No. Don't be a dumbass. I will sell my Nikon gear and switch. I shouldn't have to pay to get a 1400 dollar lens to work with a 2k dollar camera body that are suppose to work together, even if the lens is out of warranty given it works on every other Nikon body tried.

May 05, 2015 at 04:45 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

If there is nothing wrong with the "out of warranty" lens, why would you be sending it to Nikon?

Second thought, ignore the above, just sell.

May 05, 2015 at 06:39 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

RoyC wrote:
If there is nothing wrong with the "out of warranty" lens, why would you be sending it to Nikon?

Second thought, ignore the above, just sell.

Nikon claims there have been no issues like this and asked me to send it in with the D750. The few examples I have found of this it required replacing the DC/DC chip in the lens, and it cost upwards of 300 bucks to do it. And a similar issue happens with a TC and this lens on the D750...same repair needed. New DC/DC chip. However, since the lens works fine on a D300, D7100, D90, and old D70, there is nothing wrong with the lens. Would you be happy if you bought a brand new camera, and put on a modern lens that has worked on 4 bodies, but wouldn't work on the new one even though it says compatible? Would you be willing to pay for a "repair" on a lens that had nothing wrong with it, that the issue was a testing/manufacturing issue that shouldn't happen? Somehow I doubt it. I knew the fanboys couldn't resist being snotty...

May 05, 2015 at 09:46 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

I would first try cleaning the mount contacts on the lens. Also, which other lenses do you have that work ok on your D750? That might give an idea regarding what may be unique about the D750+300mm combo (in terms of power draw, AF-S vs G lens, etc...)

May 05, 2015 at 10:01 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

snapsy wrote:
I would first try cleaning the mount contacts on the lens. Also, which other lenses do you have that work ok on your D750? That might give an idea regarding what may be unique about the D750+300mm combo (in terms of power draw, AF-S vs G lens, etc...)

Cleaned the contacts, looked for any play in the mount, etc. Everything is tight and clean. The 28 2.8, 35 2.0, 50 1.8, 80-200 2.8, and a few sigmas work decent. My most used lens is always the 300 F4, so I haven't played much with the other lenses. Only took a handful of shots before going back to my D300. I found many examples of the 300 F4 not working on the camera if it was used with a teleconverter, but only found 2 examples (found another since original post) where the lens alone wouldn't work.

I was hoping someone else here would have another example or seen another story or 2 of the camera/lens combo not working since the few stories I seen were nightmares trying to get fixed. Something to send to Nikon since the stories I read were multiple send ins without fixes before getting anywhere.

May 05, 2015 at 10:31 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

daskibum wrote:
Nikon claims there have been no issues like this and asked me to send it in with the D750. The few examples I have found of this it required replacing the DC/DC chip in the lens, and it cost upwards of 300 bucks to do it. And a similar issue happens with a TC and this lens on the D750...same repair needed. New DC/DC chip. However, since the lens works fine on a D300, D7100, D90, and old D70, there is nothing wrong with the lens. Would you be happy if you bought a brand new camera, and put on
...Show more

There are thousands of 300 f4's in use and you can only find 2 reported issues involving the D750 and the 300 f4 and you have already determined that based on your mountain of evidence Nikon is screwing you over. Really!

Electronic components fail with time, sad but true.

When this happens outside of the warranty period we pay. Just a fact of life.

You have now earned a place on my "ignore" list. Bye

May 06, 2015 at 08:01 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

daskibum wrote:
Sending both camera and lens back to Nikon and hoping they don't try to charge to fix it, but given their service track record I am not sure it will do any good. Not to start a fanboy war, but if they try to charge... how is Canon quality and service?

The known failure rate for the products of any camera manufacturer is in the range of 3-5%. ANY camera manufacturer. Some people are lucky, some aren't. I've had failures with Pentax (x3), Olympus (x1) and Nikon (x2), it won't change my opinion on the quality of the output from their equipment or the likelihood of a failure from any other manufacturer. Your chances of a failure are as high / low with Canon as with Nikon as with Pentax as with ..........

May 06, 2015 at 12:31 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

There is this post in Buy and Sell https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1359792/0?keyword=300,F4#12964735 with similar problem, I did find it odd and looked into it and seems some of the older versions of the lens do need to be rechipped for the D750

May 06, 2015 at 05:20 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 and 300F4 issue, no TC

ScottHM wrote:
There is this post in Buy and Sell https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1359792/0?keyword=300,F4#12964735 with similar problem, I did find it odd and looked into it and seems some of the older versions of the lens do need to be rechipped for the D750

Yep. That's mine. Exact same problem.

No other problem with any lens that I have (or had) including: 80-200, 70-200 f4, 28 1.8, 35 f2d, 35 1.8g, 50 1.8 (both g and d versions), 80-400 g, 60 g, 60 d, 70-300 vr, 105 vr, 12-24, 180 2.8d, etc. All of those lens work just splendidly on the D750, D600, D7100, D90 (and heck even the V2 with the FT1 when I had it). In other words, I have used a wide variety of lenses on a variety of bodies without a single issue. But the 300 just won't play with the D750 while it works flawlessly with the D7100 that I currently have. And it was really a great combination with the D600 when I had it. Really a sharp lens too.

Having said that, it has got a 208xxx serial number, which places its manufacture before 2005 and probably around 2003. This makes it the oldest af-s lens that I have so . . .. The online research that I've done (as someone suggests above) calls for a chip to be replaced. I bought the lens used on the B&S board maybe 5 years ago and the af-s motor failed about 6 weeks after I got it (grrr!), so some of the electronics (the motor at least) have been replaced by APS so I'm really not sure what's in it. But as I have the 80-400, it is less of an issue for me.

It seems to me that most of the OP's lenses are not af-s? Not sure. As I've only read about one or two other cases, it really seems like an odd duck of a problem. And again, as I've had it serviced by an independent repair shop, I can't claim to know exactly what's in there. That is, I don't know if the servicing caused the incompatibility, or if the original Nikon electronics are mucking it up.

May 07, 2015 at 09:00 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.