New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · IR with Canon 1DS

Royboy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IR with Canon 1DS

Does anyone know whether the IDS will take an infra red filter and subsequent IR image. I read somewhere that the way to test a cameras ability is to fire a TV remote IR beam across lens path and if the light from the remote is visible in the cameras viewing screen it will work.

Tried this with my old Sony 707 (which by the way I think is a really good camera) but the Canon LCD screen does not function in the same way so I cannot confirm its suitability.

Thanks for your help here.

Regards
Roy

Sep 28, 2004 at 08:09 AM
IanP
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IR with Canon 1DS

Royboy wrote:
Does anyone know whether the IDS will take an infra red filter and subsequent IR image. I read somewhere that the way to test a cameras ability is to fire a TV remote IR beam across lens path and if the light from the remote is visible in the cameras viewing screen it will work.

Tried this with my old Sony 707 (which by the way I think is a really good camera) but the Canon LCD screen does not function in the same way so I cannot confirm its suitability.

Thanks for your help here.

Regards
Roy

Just do that and take a test shot rather than look at the viewfinder.

Sep 28, 2004 at 08:21 AM
KapHn8d™
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IR with Canon 1DS

I can assure you that a short test shot won't shot you anything... heh.

The infrared cutback in the 1Ds is extremely strong... more so than any other Canon digital camera I know of... that being said, IR exposure works like visible light exposure ie. for a give aperture, the less light your have available, the longer you need to leave the shutter open. No magic there...

the IR cutback in the 1Ds is strong enough that you need plenty of time to take your shots... even with a very strong IR source like bright sun on a clear day at mid day, you can expect shutter times in minutes, not seconds.

This is a 1Ds IR shot taken from the top of Stanserhorn in Switzerland... the mountain in on the left is Mount Pilatus.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting/data//500/17278ir_pilatus.jpg
The was taken in the harsh mid-day sun... exposure time was 2 minutes.

Since we're on the subject, here is a refresher on what Canon lenses are IR friendly. For those that aren't familiar with what I mean by that, there has been a documented effect with certain Canon lenses where an undesirable "hot spot" in the center of the frame develops during IR exposure. It is speculated that it has to do with the coating or fabrication of the elements in those lenses. Here is the list I have to date... please let me know if there are errors or if you have any to add:

Good
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 28-135mm/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MKI
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MKII
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L
Canon EF 75-300mm/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon EF 135mm f/2L
Canon EF 100-400mm4.0-5.6 IS L
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro

Bad
Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L
Canon EF 20mm f/2.8
Canon EF 35mm f/2
Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon EF 35-80/4.0-5.6
Canon EF 50mm/f1.4
Canon EF 50mm/f2.5 Macro
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

Also, there is a decent link on IR basics here: http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

If you have a viewfinder shutter on your camera, shut it during the exposure to prevent light bleed through the viewfinder. If you don't have one, find osmething to stick over the viewfinder.

One more note about the 1Ds in particular... because of the long shutter times required for IR with the 1Ds, you will need a remote release with that ability to lock the shutter release because 99.9% of your IR shots will be bulb exposures.

Hope that helps answer your question...

-Clayton

Sep 28, 2004 at 09:51 AM
Jling
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IR with Canon 1DS

Just wondering if any know how well the DRebel IR photography in terms of IR cutback (or IR sensitivity)

Also if the 35mm/1.4L falls in the good or bad category for the len coating/hot spot.

Sigh looks like I ll have to get that cheapo 50mm for IR.

Sep 28, 2004 at 02:02 PM
Royboy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IR with Canon 1DS

Clayton

Thanks for your comprehensive reply to my question.

I had previously tried a test shot, as suggested by IanP, before posing my query to FM and this expains why I got zilch.

Kind Regards
Roy

Sep 29, 2004 at 02:27 AM
KapHn8d™
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IR with Canon 1DS

If you are really serious about shooting IR, it may be worth carrying an extra body dedicated to IR... a have passed many times in the past on opportunities that would have been great IR shots, but my shooting schedule didn't afford the time it takes to capture with the 1Ds.

Sep 29, 2004 at 08:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.