New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2015 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

This is something I'm doing for personal interest but hoping others may find useful too.

The lenses I'm comparing are:
1.Olympus OM Zuiko MC 24/2.8
2. X-Fujinon EBC 24/2.8
3. Canon FDn 24/2.8
4. Minolta MC VFC 24/2.8
5. Zeiss ZS 25/2.8

I'll keep comparisons in this this order throughout.

I was meaning to try a Minolta MD, but as my MC VFC is still unsold I'm using that instead, as in comparing it with an MD 24/2.8 a few years ago, they were as alike as two peas in a pod.
The X- Fujinon is an unknown, as there's virtually nothing about it on the web, however, I like its longer brother, the X-Fujinon EBC 100/2.8 so much that I tracked one down.
Obviously I've left some others major players out, like Nikkor Ai/AiS 24/2.8; Pentax SMC A 24/2.8 and Konica 24/2.8.
From web research, my general impression was that they were weaker than the above list. (Though there will always be those who disagree! )

Here they are: From the relatively tiny OM to the hefty ZS

Screen Shot 24mm Shootout by timballic,
I'm using on Kindai (Rayqual) and Fotodiox-Pro Adapters. The F-Pro I've shimmed out to exact, correct length)

Some Specifications first:

1. OM Zuiko MC 24/2.8.....8:7: 49mm ø; 185g; 59mm x 31mm; Focus > Aperture >

2. X-Fujinon EBC 24/2.8....9:8; 49mm ø; 195g; 62mm x 46mm; Focus > Aperture <

3. Canon FDn 28/2.8........10:9; 52mm ø; 240g; 63mm x 43mm; Focus < Aperture >

4. MC VFC 24/2.8..............9:7; 55mm ø; 325g; 67mm x 50mm; Focus < Aperture > (MD 9:7; 55mm ø; 275gMkIIa / 215g MkIIb; 65mm x 50mm)

5. Zeiss ZS 25/2.8............10:8; 58mm ø; 495g; 64mm x 90mm; Focus < Aperture <

The first test I carried out was for vignetting:
The picture is a screenshot of each lens, through the range. The OM, Fuji and MC have F16 as min F stop, The FD and ZS go down to F22, hence the extra image.

Screen Shot 24mm Shootout by timballic,
NB. The F16 exposure of the MC VFC is 2 stops less than F11. I suspect 11-16 is really F16 and 16 is F22. This is "sorted" on the MD version, which has F22.

I think these are fairly self explanatory. As I expected, the OM has a strong vignette which remains in the far corners throughout the series. Between F8-11, most of the vignettes become less defined on the other lenses.
I used the central area of my 27" iMac screen to take these, with the camera 9" from the screen and all lenses set to ∞
I checked with a light meter that the screen illumination was even over the photographed area.

Another impression was the very even colour temperatures across the aperture ranges and from lens to lens, I hadn't expected that! (These are SOOC, screenshot of Lr5)

Edited on Jan 20, 2015 at 02:28 AM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:09 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

The second series I did was to investigate further the comparative colour temperatures of each lens.
Again, the order is:
OM
Fuji
FD
MC VFC
ZS
With the F stop range of each lens, left to right

Three different scenes taken as the sun rose, between 9.0 am and 10.30am this morning, Again I was struck by the similarities between the lenses, rather than expected differences.
Again these are SOOC, screenshots in Lr5.

I will do individual shots next, when I've had time to assess this morning's efforts.

24mm shootout by timballic,

Edited on Jan 20, 2015 at 02:27 AM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Before starting, I'd contacted Peire for help with my selection. Part of Peire's response was, "Minor differences in performance here and there is something imminent but not significant. IMO all well established brands are very similar in performance to each other.So finally it is a matter of taste which one to choose."

The similarities rather than differences is something I'm already seeing.

I know from use on my 5DII, that I don't expect the ZS to be beaten by any of the others here. However, it is such a hunk of a lens, that I'm hoping something lighter/smaller comes close to it's performance.

After using for a while, my preference, by mechanical "feel" is:

1st. Zeiss ZS, beautifully engineered and smooth in every way.
2nd. Olympus OM Zuiko. Also all metal and lovely smooth movements
3rd Minolta MC VFC chunky but lovely feel (The MD version has more plastic.)
4th Fuji. Has a plastic aperture ring which isn't as nice as the above three.
5th Canon FD.The focus action is rather lighter than I prefer and too easily moved from where set, the aperture ring (plastic) is the exact opposite, being too tight for ease. Also this one has very slight image shift with focus reverse, despite being a mint, little used copy.

Very quickly I found that the MC VFC was the lens most prone to lines of aperture shaped flare of the five, followed by the FD, though the Fuji exhibited a little veiling flare.

Also/ focussing on high lit reeds against shadow, the ZS showed the most wide open CA of the group.

Edited on Jan 20, 2015 at 03:11 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Thanks for the effort, timballic, what's the amount of focus ring rotation from lock to lock? My Fujinon 28/1.9 is very short, about 1/4 turn, most seem to be 1/2 turn, a few are just shy of 1 turn, and one that's 2 turns.

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:38 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

thanks for doing this!

i can see your flickr pics just fine, so go ahead and post some bigger stuff.

Jan 19, 2015 at 08:10 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Thanks for doing, will be following the thread to check out the additional tests and conclusions.

I'm doing a comparison at 24mm as well, to decide whether to keep a Nikon 24/2.8 AiS or OM 24/2.8 (for lightweight travel kit and video on A7's and m4/3).

I took a bunch of shots the other day from close up for "bokeh" to infiniti across the whole aperture range, and some other pics for corner shots and color. I also included my FE 16-35/4 at 24mm and a few shots with my FE 24-70/4 at 24mm just for comparison sake to understand what if anything besides size and manual focus I gain with the MF lenses.

If I've time, I'll do a more through analysis of what I shot and post shots and crops here.

First impressions flipping through the pictures on my MacBook Pro 15" w/ retina: OM 24/2.8 is sharper in the corners than the Nikon 24/2.8 AiS. The OM is reasonably sharp at edges/corners by f/5.6, while the Nikon reaches a similar point around f/11. A little more distortion in the Olympus than the Nikon, but not a lot of difference.

Slightly different bokeh performance, not sure which is preferable. Both pretty sharp centrally WO. Gut says OM as I prefer the focus direction since I don't really use any other Nikon lenses other than an 85/1.8G in MF mode. A bit more CA wide open on the OM.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:02 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

lightshow, It is a short focus throw, about 1/4 turn like your 28/1.9

All electricity in the area off today, (in 1 hr) so I won't be able to start looking at results properly till later.

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:30 AM
prashant
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Good stuff.
I also compared the following -
24mm Zuiko
2470 FE lens at 24mm
FD20-35L at 24mm.

more similarities than differences. I was thinking of selling 24mm Zuiko but now not.
I was thinking of selling FDzoom as I have 20mmFD. But will keep it as well. Oh damn.

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:47 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Thanks for sharing. I love the OM 21 f/3.5 and 24 f/2.8! How can you beat those lenses for size vs. performance? Combined with the buttery MF, even after years of usage and I'm surprised they're still so cheap...

I bought the OM 24 f/2 but ended up selling it, since the f/2.8 is smaller, lighter and vignettes less at similar apertures (on the Sony A7S).

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:54 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Vern Dewit wrote:
I bought the OM 24 f/2 but ended up selling it, since the f/2.8 is smaller, lighter and vignettes less at similar apertures (on the Sony A7S).

That's interesting to know. Saves me the expense of trying. I found exactly the same with the 21/2 vs. 21/3.5

I'm back online but have a busy few days. I'll get round to posting the main comparisons as soon as possible

Jan 20, 2015 at 03:05 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

A few pics of a near subject with the OM 24/2.8, Nikon 24/2.8 and FE 16-35 at f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6 (no f/2.8 for the zoom of course). I think I fixed WB at 'Daylight' setting across all pics if I recall correctly. SOOC jpegs.

You can download all the full size files at https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D156409_60450901_6556403

Here's all three lenses at f/4, in following order: OM 24/2.8, Nikon 24/2.8 Ais, FE 16-35

Jan 20, 2015 at 03:44 PM
Peire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Precious and fruitful effort timballic.Thanks for sharing.This will help some of us to do a proper choice.

BTW:Your results are in accordance with my findings and here everyone can see it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 01:03 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

A quick entry, closest focus:

24mm shootout by timballic, on Flickr

.......0M Zuiko 24/2.8 MC........X-Fujinon EBC 24/2.8............Canon FDn 24/2.8..............Minolta MC VFC 24/2.8................Zeiss ZS 25/2.8

The Zeiss gets SO close! the letters are only 2.25" across, and the front of the lens is 1.5" from them!

Jan 21, 2015 at 04:02 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

The last pic may not have loaded, as my broadband is now on a go slow-stop and won't be fixed for 10 days!! This is getting painful and I have so much to share now! Talk among yourselves!

Jan 21, 2015 at 04:36 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

It did load OK Tim. But the 24mm shootout links only go to a Yahoo login page.

Cheers

Jan 21, 2015 at 06:51 AM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

can't see anything at 100%?? the flickr page is private.

were the color comparison shots done with a fixed white balance on the camera?

Jan 21, 2015 at 07:00 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Sorry about this, my broadband won't be fixed for over a week and it takes minutes to get on here and I can't see any pics or load any. So frustrating!

osv2, I used AWB in camera, but other lenses show real differences doing this. Also the temp and tint values in Lr5 for each of the pictures remains constant.

Perhaps to give access to the Flickr files I need to open a new Flickr account, so all these test examples don't clog up my normal Flickr site...any advice in what others do? Can I somehow label this site as "Friend" on my Flickr site, for access??

Edited on Jan 22, 2015 at 05:46 AM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2015 at 04:21 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

timballic wrote:
Perhaps to give access to the Flickr files I need to open a new Flickr account, so all these teat examples don't clog up my normal Flickr site...any advice in what others do?

Yeah with those sort of examples you'll be getting a lot of unexpected and unwanted traffic

Love your comparison (esp. as the owner of a Zuiko 24mm), many thanks for your time and effort !

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:38 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

A brief window of broadband opportunity ;o))

All exhibit some degree of "moustache" waveform horizon (All shot at F11, taken from edge of frame, with contrast hiked up to make clearer.)
Again in order:

OM Zuiko
X-Fujinon EBC
Canon FD
Minolta MC VFC
Zeiss ZS

24mm Shootout by timballic, on Flickr

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:42 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7 24mm F2.8 Lens Comparison/shootout

Well, I'm having all this time to examine the pics before I can load them here!
Again my 2nd and 3rd impressions are like the 1st, more about how similar than any major differences between them, especially comparing the results at F11.

In fact I can only really detect differences if I put in comparison mode in Lr5 and quickly flip from one to another, and even then they are very minor.

However, some differences are clear. The OM Zuiko is the widest, then the FD, then MC then Fuji, then there is a bit more of a jump down to the 25mm of the ZS.

The Minolta MC VFC is consistently slightly less sharp than the others throughout. However that could be just this copy or because it's been converted to EF. (However in tests with an MD version I used to own, I couldn't see any differences with it and this one.)

I can see that there are differences in depth of focus in front of and behind my focus point.
eg, the Zeiss ZS doesn't have good near corners, in fact they are the poorest of the lot , but it excels at distant corners. I'm wondering if this is something to do with its strongly curved field?

It's no surprise that the OM Zuiko has best overall sharpness from corner to corner, but it's nearly matched by the FD and then next by the Fuji.

Because of the poor close corners of the ZS, I'm very surprised to find that I'm liking the OM, FD and Fuji results the best, the only slight fault with the Fuji is it is less sharp wide open than the others, but that disappears 2 stops down.
However, the FD has the worst moustache distortion of the lot and that could well be a deal breaker for me as a landscape photographer.

Tiny differences in focus must make a big difference, because what I note about one shot, like worst distance depth of field, are then immediately cancelled out by the observations on the next scene I shot!

Edited on Jan 26, 2015 at 06:07 AM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:55 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.