Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       20              23       24       end

Archive 2014 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks ...

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

JBPhotog wrote:
Nope, sorry I am not. THE point of this thread was to criticize the D750 and to accuse Nikon for producing a flawed camera. I have discussed several occurrences of this flare effect on many different cameras including 35 mm cinema cameras and 4x5 film cameras.

This is NOT a problem with the camera, it is an effect generated by lens flare, like it or not.

And has been pointed out earlier in the thread, the D750 manifests the cut-off flare issue whereas other bodies like the D800 do not when shot in the exact same location with the same lighting, lens, and exposure.

Dec 14, 2014 at 05:49 PM
Hulot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

It is obvious that the title of the thread is somehow provocative and does not help to find a common idea about the quality of this behavior/issue of the camera. for that reason it is best to avoid the thread.

Dec 14, 2014 at 06:25 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

JBPhotog wrote:
Nope, sorry I am not. THE point of this thread was to criticize the D750 and to accuse Nikon for producing a flawed camera. I have discussed several occurrences of this flare effect on many different cameras including 35 mm cinema cameras and 4x5 film cameras.

This is NOT a problem with the camera, it is an effect generated by lens flare, like it or not.

A conspiracy under every camera, huh?

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:00 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

I hadn't experienced this until today - in a series of back lit images, in the upper left hand corner is a line of bright light that over exposes the top 1/5th of the image... Not cool... And it is real world - just submitted a return with B&H today...

Dec 15, 2014 at 01:53 AM
low325
• • •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

Oh no .....

Dec 15, 2014 at 01:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

Hulot wrote:
It is obvious that the title of the thread is somehow provocative and does not help to find a common idea about the quality of this behavior/issue of the camera. for that reason it is best to avoid the thread.

The title is inflammatory, yet the issue needs to be addressed rather than ignored.

EBH

Dec 15, 2014 at 02:02 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

Unfortunately, that's the nature of things nowadays (and actually always has been), if it's affects me then it's a big deal, if it doesn't then the world is fine.

Dec 15, 2014 at 02:08 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

hijazist wrote:
Unfortunately, that's the nature of things nowadays (and actually always has been), if it's affects me then it's a big deal, if it doesn't then the world is fine.

There's a famous quote from Ronald Regan about that - "A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours"

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:20 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

dkmiles1 wrote:
I hadn't experienced this until today - in a series of back lit images, in the upper left hand corner is a line of bright light that over exposes the top 1/5th of the image... Not cool... And it is real world - just submitted a return with B&H today...

That's understandable but are you sure the issue will happen frequently enough in your shooting to warrant being without the body? If it weren't for the D750 being such a good camera I wouldn't even question it but it does nearly everything else so well that I think the decision becomes harder for many.

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:25 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

I LOVE the camera - and I'm a recent convert from Canon (still use Canon BTW), and I'd heard about this light leak issue for awhile - but hadn't experienced it - until now - problem is, it's pretty clear it has the potential to ruin an image...

snapsy wrote:
That's understandable but are you sure the issue will happen frequently enough in your shooting to warrant being without the body? If it weren't for the D750 being such a good camera I wouldn't even question it but it does nearly everything else so well that I think the decision becomes harder for many.

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

dkmiles1 wrote:
I LOVE the camera - and I'm a recent convert from Canon (still use Canon BTW), and I'd heard about this light leak issue for awhile - but hadn't experienced it - until now - problem is, it's pretty clear it has the potential to ruin an image...

I agree, the potential is always there and certainly some will be uncomfortable keeping and using the camera for that reason. Perfectly reasonable IMO. I fall on the other side of the ledger, where the camera is so good that it's a keeper even with this issue.

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:46 AM
vjaved
• •
p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

Would you mind sharing your serial no? It would help me with the list I'm compiling.

dkmiles1 wrote:

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:46 AM
cwes
• •
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

dkmiles1 wrote:

Do you have any idea roughly about how many shots you have taken with the camera until you seen this?

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:54 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

cwes wrote:
Do you have any idea roughly about how many shots you have taken with the camera until you seen this?

A lot - pushing 10,000 shots this month - this shot must have been the perfect scenario for the light leak to rear its ugly head - seems to be a big issue with wider shots in back lit situations. E.g. - I haven't noticed this issue in back lit situations with my 85 or the 70-200 - but it was there with the 50 - I shoot a ton of real estate/interior photography with the 14-24, but I'm rarely shooting back lit like this... I shoot family portraits a lot, and this was the first time I used the 50 in this lighting situation and I thought for a moment that the image looked a little strange - then I remembered the chatter about the light leak and this looks a lot like what others have experienced..

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:02 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

vjaved wrote:
Would you mind sharing your serial no? It would help me with the list I'm compiling.

I'll send you a PM with the serial...

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:02 AM
cwes
• •
p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

If it's 1 in 10,000 I'm not worried about it at all. Not saying I blame you, but to me I get one OOF shot per photo session usually anyways, so like 1 in 100 OOF. So if this is 1 in 10,000 it's 100% a non issue for me. Even 1 in 1,000. Not saying we still shouldn't complain to nikon and keep on them to get an answer and a solution. Just saying it won't make me stop using the D750. I do have a question for you though, I usually take maybe 3 shots of the same one just to make sure I didn't get a blink or soft shot, especially when people are walking. Did you get a shot right before or after this one that is close to it that you could use? just wondering if you took one at almost the same spot but slightly different angle if it came out okay then.

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:05 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

Were you using a lens hood on when you took that shot?

Another way to overcome this problem (now that it is known to exist) would be to shade the lens with a hat or other object held above, but out of view of, the lens.

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:18 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

cwes wrote:
If it's 1 in 10,000 I'm not worried about it at all. Not saying I blame you, but to me I get one OOF shot per photo session usually anyways, so like 1 in 100 OOF. So if this is 1 in 10,000 it's 100% a non issue for me. Even 1 in 1,000. Not saying we still shouldn't complain to nikon and keep on them to get an answer and a solution. Just saying it won't make me stop using the D750. I do have a question for you though, I usually take maybe 3 shots of the same
...Show more

I've had the camera month - the overwhelming majority of the time I've used it to date has been shooting interiors and in non-back lit situations - so the opportunity for this to happen to me specifically with the D750, I admit, has been somewhat limited. That said, in today's shoot, in this lighting setup, several shots before and after had the issue, some more pronounced than others - I noticed the strong lighting on him and moved the angle a bit - thought it was heavy flare - though better and not as noticeable in the LCD after I moved - but the "light line" was definitely there - but again, when I use a longer lens - 85, 70-200 e.g. - I'm not seeing this, but it really showed up with the 50

Edited on Dec 15, 2014 at 04:33 AM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:24 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.19 #19 · p.19 #19 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

AnnJS wrote:
Were you using a lens hood on when you took that shot?

Another way to overcome this problem (now that it is known to exist) would be to shade the lens with a hat or other object held above, but out of view of, the lens.

Yes hood was on - I know what you're saying - I might try that - or I might still return it :-)

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:28 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.19 #20 · p.19 #20 · D750 horrible light leak (black bandit!) reported; Looks horrible "updated"

I urge everyone who thinks this is a D750 specific issue to send their cameras back to Nikon, make sure you include examples for them to see. Then if you wait a day or two for your camera to arrive at Nikon Service and listen carefully, you'll hear laughing. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dec 15, 2014 at 05:26 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password