FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2004 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

taob
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

"http://www.risc.org/Images/LJ/lj-canon_20d.jpg"

This is somewhat of a companion to my Canon 1D Mk2 mini-review posted a couple of weeks ago. As I mentioned in that article, I upgraded from a Canon 10D to the 1D Mk2, which is an enormous jump in virtually every respect. Since then, I've shot three weddings with the 1D Mk2 as the primary camera and the 10D as the backup, among a few other events. Although it is always good to have a second body, no matter what the type (even one digital and one film!), having two identical ones is obviously the ideal situation. I found that the 10D was a bit too different from the 1D Mk2, relegating it to the status of a backup camera instead of what I really wanted: a second shooting camera.

A second 1D Mk2 body was quite a ways off in the distance, since I had not originally budgeted even for the first one. Renting a 1D Mk2 from Vistek would set me back at least $230 each time, and that adds up quickly. But what about the newly announced successor to the 10D, the 20D? On paper, it certainly looked like a much better match for the 1D Mk2 than the 10D: same 8.2-megapixel image dimensions, same "instant-on" responsiveness, a more respectable 5 fps burst rate (compared to the 1D Mk2's teeth-rattling 8 fps), much-improved AF, 1/250s flash sync, amazing high ISO noise reduction, etc. Then, interestingly, came waves of opinion that perhaps the 20D would make a better fit for many people who splurged on the 1D Mk2. Was it possible that a $2000 "amateur" model could even hold a candle to a $6000 1-series pro body?

As of this writing, I have had only 24 hours with my new 20D. Henry's in Toronto called me on Friday afternoon saying a shipment had come in, and "arrangements" could be made to get one in my hands ASAP (I was not on any waiting list). I have shot about 1200 frames with it so far, split between the Toronto International Film Festival and a lot of walking around on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Here are my thoughts after the first day.

I will specifically compare the 1D Mk2 to the 20D, because the goal of my evaluation is to see whether I would be better served by one of each camera, or two 20D's. As I mentioned in my 1D Mk2 mini-review, that camera is in some ways too much gear for my needs and level of expertise. On the practical side, one 1D Mk2 costs as much as two 20D's with BG-E2 grips, three extra pairs of batteries, and a handful of fast 1GB CF cards to hold those 8-megapixel raw files. Re-read my note above about the importance of having two camera bodies. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, let me state that the 1D Mk2 is clearly the more capable camera in nearly every respect. At three times the cost of a 20D, it had better be. The question is whether I need (or indeed, would use) everything the 1D Mk2 offers, or would the 20D satisfy my requirements.

Body styling and ergonomics

The 20D, as expected, looks very much like the 10D, D60 and D30 before it. It is a bit more compact than the 10D, and seems to have lost some of the "baby fat" in the corners and edges. Having only exclusively shot the 10D with the BG-ED3 vertical grip attached, I had forgotten how small just the body can be. The new BG-E2 grip is not yet available at Henry's, so I will have to defer comments on its ergonomics until later. I am hoping it will be as good as the 10D + BG-ED3, which was very comfortable indeed, particularly with the Canon E1 hand strap.

The lack of heft on the 20D (770 grams, half that of the 1D Mk2) makes it ideal for a walkaround camera, but also means that larger lenses cannot be handled as easily. I had the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens on the 20D for the film festival, and maneuvering it around was not nearly as pleasant as on the 1D Mk2. Adding a vertical grip to the 20D will definitely help in this area. The Canon 28-70mm f/2.8L is probably about the largest lens I could comfortably use on the 20D without the grip.

The viewfinder eye relief on the 20D has not changed noticeably from the 10D, which means my nose is smushed up against the rear LCD. On the 1D Mk2, there is enough clearance such that just the tip of my nose might reach the back of the camera. No complaints about the viewfinder itself either, despite early worries that the new focusing screen would be darker than the 10D's. I do not notice too much a difference between the 1.6x crop 20D viewfinder and the 1.3x crop 1D Mk2 viewfinder... it is there obviously, but isn't an issue with me when switching between the two cameras. The 1D Mk2 displays more useful information than the 20D (like the current ISO setting), as has traditionally been the case between a 1 series and a 10 series DSLR. The 20D sports a brand new AF module, with 9 focusing points arranged in a diamond pattern. The AF boxes are very small compared to the 10D, and light up a very bright red when activated (even brighter than the 1D Mk2's AF points). Very nice.

There is a miniature joystick above and to the left of the quick-control dial (QCD) on the back of the camera. This can be used (with the appropriate C.Fn setting) to directly select any of the AF points: push it in the direction of the 8 outer AF points, or press the joystick (it also acts as a button) to select the center AF point. Also very nice... sure beats having to use two dials to scroll through AF points on the 1D Mk2. ECF (eye-controlled focus) could arguably be better, but the joystick's not bad. It is also used to scroll around the magnified view of an image. This means the axis toggle button of the 10D is now gone, and we are left with just four buttons beside the rear LCD screen.

The new three-position power switch will take some getting used to. On the 10D, power and QCD had their separate switches. On the 20D, one switch controls both: camera off, camera on but QCD off, and QCD on. This means that you normally want to turn the switch two clicks, so that the QCD is enabled. On the 1D Mk2, I am used to turning the three-position power switch just one click. That turns on the camera, but does not enable the AF confirmation beep. Now I need to remember two clicks for the 20D, one click for the 1D Mk2.

There are many other small improvements too. The pop-up flash is now styled like the 300D's, and moved further away from the camera. It is high up enough now that the 28-70mm f/2.8L (without lens hood) does not cast a shadow even at its widest focal length. It barely has enough coverage for the 17-40mm f/4L at 17mm though, and a bit of a lens shadow can be seen at the bottom edge. The exposure meter now has enough LCD segments to properly show 1/2- and 1/3-stop increments, but is still limited to a +/- 2-stop range (the 1D Mk2 shows a +/- 3-stop range). The registered AF button is gone now... I'm not sure how you call up the registered point now. I guess Canon figured a separate button is not needed, since you can directly select any of the 9 AF points with a single press of the joystick. Battery compartment is the same, CF door is the same... neither are as robust or as secure as the 1D Mk2's.

Speed, speed, speed!!!

Okay, let's talk about the thing that makes me say that the 20D is the most significant 10-series DSLR by Canon since the original D30: speed!!! Virtually everything about this camera has been improved in terms of speed, responsiveness and overall performance. You turn on the power, the top LCD panel instantly comes to life, and the camera is ready to shoot before you can even bring it up to your eye. Same goes for waking up the camera from sleep. The 20D requires that you tap the shutter release to wake up the camera, which doesn't always work for me because I will often hit the * button first (which I have mapped to start AF). On the 1D Mk2, touch any button or control will wake up the camera. Listen to the delay between turning on the 20D and the first shot (about 0.2 s). This is twice as fast as the 1D Mk2, which needs about 0.4 s to warm up.

I don't know if the shutter lag has been improved over the 10D, but the viewfinder blackout is definitely shorter. It is somewhere between the now seemingly lethargic 10D and the blistering fast 1D Mk2. As a consequence, the mirror slap noise is now a bit noisier and sounds "sharper" than the 10D. The 20D is about as loud as the 1D Mk2 now, actually. Listen to the 20D at 5 fps, the 1D Mk2 at 5 fps, and the 1D Mk2 at 8 fps.

Scrolling through images is much faster than on the 10D, and the low-resolution preview step is no longer needed. Zooming and panning around is still a bit sluggish though, and not quite up to the speedy 1D Mk2's image review system. One of the best new features is the ability to review images on the CF card and zoom/pan them, before the buffer has been completely flushed. This is extremely important to me in the studio, since I hook up the video out of the camera to a television set. The models get instant feedback on the shots, often while still holding a pose. With the 10D, you had to wait a long time (sometimes close to a minute) for it to finish writing out the entire buffer before it would allow you into the menus or into playback mode. With the 20D, you almost never see that dreaded "Busy" message on the screen. The 1D Mk2 will show you images as they are being written out, but you cannot view other images, zoom in, delete them, or access the menus. I've been complaining for the last couple of years about Nikon having this feature on their DSLRs... seems like someone at Canon finally listened.

The burst rate has increased to 5 fps from the 10D's 3 fps. Unfortunately, Canon has not increased the amount of buffer memory in the 20D: with the larger 8-megapixel file sizes, there is now only room for 6 raw files instead of 9. The upgrade to the DIGIC II processor (same as in the 1D Mk2) mitigates this somewhat, because now the JPEG burst depth is at least 18 shots even under worst-case conditions (noisy ISO 3200, large/fine images). The 20D is also capable of writing and shooting at the same time. The 10D would stop all file I/O if the shutter was even half-pressed. This often made for long periods of time where the buffer could not be flushed because I was staying ready for the next shot with my finger on the shutter release. Even with the more efficient buffer handling, I ran up against the 6-shot buffer (I always shoot raw) a couple of times at the film festival. This has yet to happen on the 1D Mk2 with it's massive 19-shot raw buffer and fast file I/O.

One quirk about the 10D I didn't like was how I had to fully release the shutter button in single-shot mode in order to take the next shot. It feels much more natural (and is required if you want to lock your exposure) to only do a "half-release" and then a full press to take the next shot. This has not been addressed in the 20D. The workaround is to switch to continuous shooting mode, but then you run the risk of accidentally popping off two or three shots if you don't immediately release the shutter button. This becomes an even greater problem on the 20D with its limited buffer space. On the 1D Mk2, you can be in single shot mode and still rattle off a bunch of sequential shots without having to fully release the shutter.

Canon has equipped the 20D with a new 9-point AF module that is rated to work down to a light level of -0.5 EV, which is so low that a proper exposure requires 11 seconds of open shutter at f/2.8 and ISO 100. This is actually better than the 1-series AF, which is rated down to 0 EV. So far, in my shooting experience and informal tests, the 20D's AF performance seems to be almost as as good as the 1D Mk2's (as opposed to the 10D's AF, which was clearly inferior in every way). Given the interminable complaints about the 10D's AF performance over the past couple of years, perhaps Canon finally decided to quell the naysayers with the 20D.

It will take more shooting experience to draw a valid comparison between the 20D and the 1D Mk2, but using only the center AF point and fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster) on both cameras, I do not perceive any performance differences when switching between them. This may come as a (pleasant) surprise to many, but keep in mind I haven't been pushing the AF system to its limits. AI Servo works equally well between the two cameras with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens tracking movie stars walking around the red carpet at night with only video lighting on them. Of course, the 1D Mk2 still has more AF points, more cross-type sensors, active AF down to f/8 lenses, and more adjustable parameters (like AI Servo sensitivity and AF point expansion).

Image format and quality

As expected with all Canon DSLRs, the image quality is excellent. With the 20D, we see for the first time some semblance of convergence and consolidation between the 10 series and the 1 series of cameras. Both the 20D and the 1D Mk2 create CR2 raw files with an optional JPEG (not a JPEG embedded in a raw file like with the 10D). The 20D ships with Digital Photo Professional 1.1 software, now updated to understand the raw formats from all of Canon's DSLRs from the D30 onwards. Using DPP on raw files produced by both cameras, my eyes cannot detect any difference in noise levels, nor colour balance, nor dynamic range. This is an impressive feat, given that the same number of photosites are crammed into 33% less space on the 20D. All other things being equal, this should lead to noisier images, less dynamic range, etc. I will have to perform some more measured tests to see how both cameras handle extreme overexposure and underexposure conditions. I am confident, though, that like the 1D Mk2, the 20D will be able to produce very good images up to ISO 800 and possibly even ISO 1600 and beyond. With the 10D, I was only comfortable shooting up to ISO 400.
"http://www.risc.org/Images/LJ/lj-connie_nielsen-1.jpg"
Connie Nielsen
Canon EOS-1D Mk2
"http://www.risc.org/Images/LJ/lj-aidan_quinn.jpg"
Aidan Quinn
Canon EOS-20D

Does the 20D measure up?

Based on my experiences with the 20D so far, I would say that it can definitely act as a second shooting camera to the 1D Mk2. It will take some practice to subconsciously switch from one control layout to the other, but I think that will come with time. Once the images are in the computer, the differences aren't as obvious. I've already modified part of my workflow to accomodate both 1D Mk2 and 20D raw files. I am still waiting on the official updates from Adobe and Phase One to support the 20D *.CR2 files. I've tried to sum up some of the more important features (to me, anyway) between the 1D Mk2 and the 20D. As you can see, the two cameras share many features and specifications. The 20D even improves upon the 1D Mk2 in some areas, which may give us a hint as to what the future holds for the next 1 series body.

Camera model Canon EOS-20D Canon EOS-1D Mk2
Image size 3504x2336 3504x2336
File save format CR2 + JPEG CR2 + JPEG
Tethered shooting Yes, USB 2.0 Yes, Firewire
Flash sync 1/250 s 1/250 s
Max shutter speed 1/8000 s 1/8000 s
Flash exposure system E-TTL2 E-TTL2
CF write during shooting Yes Yes
Image review/zoom during CF write Yes No
Power-on lag 200 ms 400 ms
Burst rate 5 fps 8 fps
Burst depth 6 raw 19 raw
Viewfinder blackout 115 ms 88 ms
AF sensitivity -0.5 EV 0.0 EV
AF point selection Joystick Two dials
ISO range 100-3200, 1-stop steps 50-3200, 1/3-stop steps
Spot metering No Yes
Image folder selection No Yes
FOV crop 1.6x 1.3x
Lens mount EF and EF-S EF
Supported media CF Type I and II CF Type I and II, SD
Custom and Personal functions 18 and 0 21 and 26
Shutter rated lifetime 50000 shots? 200000 shots
Environmental seals No Yes
Price C$2000 C$6000

I have not yet made my final decision, but I am leaning towards keeping one 1D Mk2 and one 20D, rather than selling the 1D Mk2 and replacing it with two 20D's. I do have need for the deeper buffer and environmental ruggedness of the 1D Mk2 that the 20D does not provide, but the 20D offers new possibilities with EF-S lenses for wide angle work and high quality walkaround lenses (like the 17-85mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM). The 20D is ideally suited in the studio, where the 1D Mk2's superiority is not in play. In fact, the 20D is the better camera because of its instant playback capability, and does not capitulate to the 1D Mk2 in areas of resolution or image quality.

Other reviews

Digital Camera Resource
DPReview
Imaging Resource
Luminous Landscape
photo.net
Rob Galbraith Digital Photography Insights
Steve's Digicams

Sep 19, 2004 at 02:50 AM
gregau
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks for this incredible review!!!!

I'm amazed you have all this time to write it up!

Thank you very much. Hopefully i can pick mine up this week.

Greg

Sep 19, 2004 at 03:01 AM
jsandfort
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Wow, great review.

Sep 19, 2004 at 03:06 AM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks Brian for that excellent review! I find your comparison between the 20D and 1DMkII very interesting. Super shot of Connie Nielsen.

Claude

Sep 19, 2004 at 03:09 AM
taob
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

gregau wrote:
I'm amazed you have all this time to write it up!

So am I! It's 4:12 am here in Toronto now!

Sep 19, 2004 at 03:12 AM
freelancer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thank you so much for a detailed first impression with the camera. It gives me great comfort to go ahead with my own 20D purchase.

Vic

Sep 19, 2004 at 03:22 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Brian, are you a professional writer? That review is both lucid and precise. Wow.

Sep 19, 2004 at 03:54 AM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks for taking the time to post a VERY INFORMATIVE and well written review.

I've been wrestling with this type of problem ever since the 20D came out. I love the MK II but am just wondering if a 20D might cut it on those occasions where you don't wnat to or can't lug the 1D MK II around. I used to have a D60 which did this job admirably and the 20D is really in a different league to that camera much as I liked it.

I'm still a little disappointed by the 1.6X crop factor as I've got used to FF from the 1Ds and 1.3X from the MK II otherwise I'd probably get one at a shot. I'm still waiting also to see what the 1Ds replacement will be like (although I'm sure it will still be a large heavy 1-series model).

Sep 19, 2004 at 04:25 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Brian, thanks for an excellent and very detailed review.

Lars

Sep 19, 2004 at 04:30 AM
PatrickR
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks, Brian! A wonderful job!! Mine arrives tomorrow...Patrick

Sep 19, 2004 at 05:22 AM
dplace
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

nice review _ good early morning read _

has anyone heard when Digital Photo Professional 1.1 software will be available for download ? _ can't find it at http://consumer.usa.canon.com _ use DPP with our 1DmII files & would like to try it with the 10D files

Sep 19, 2004 at 06:51 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Very well done review. Thank you.

Sep 19, 2004 at 07:31 AM
Leo Reinhard

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks for the great review Brian. As you know, I have the 10D, but am seriously considering the 20D. For those looking for a backup to their 1D II your info will be a great help. I find it noteworthy that your " eyes cannot detect any difference in noise levels, nor colour balance, nor dynamic range. " I wish you still had you 10D to shoot identical shots in bright sunny high contrast for me to see if the 20D will give enough improvement for me to upgrade.
I have read elseware that it appears Canon may have increased the apparent DR by lowering the contrast in the incamera processing, much like using the shadow tool in CS.

Considering the autofocus and faster write speeds, an improvement in DR would probably push me over the top.

Sep 19, 2004 at 07:46 AM
jperk

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

thanks for the review. I found it quite useful. Love the audio files of the shutter release at variable speeds. Outstanding.

Sep 19, 2004 at 08:12 AM
Cubfan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Wow, a real-live "paparazzi."

Appreciated the review. I now have the 20D, too, changing from the 10D. Though I don't follow the stars, it keeps up with my kids pretty well (such as tracking my son at his soccer games), and the occasional wedding party coming down the aisle will like the better focus abilities of AI Servo on the new camera.

Sep 19, 2004 at 08:22 AM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

You must have a big nose to touch the LCD screen of the MK II! Mine doesn't come close on the 1D and I remember how annoying LCD contact was on the 10D previously.

But seriously, a fantastic review. Mine arrives tomorrow and I have been experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse since some of the recent opinions I have read indicate the camera falls far short of 1 series performance, in the area of auto focus in servo mode. Yet others, like you seem to think a 1D owner can be quite happy with the 20D. It seems to have some features that are important to me, can't wait to try it out.

Sep 19, 2004 at 08:40 AM
geckonia
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks so much Brian. I didn't know about the single shot w/shutter half-pressed lockout issue on the 10D. Thanks for shedding some light on that for me.

Sep 19, 2004 at 09:29 AM
Paul Simon

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Great review...and fantastic shot of Connie Nielsen.
What lens did you shoot that with? What iso?

Sep 19, 2004 at 09:48 AM
spartan123
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Very cool!

spartan

Sep 19, 2004 at 09:54 AM
krms

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24 hours with the Canon 20D

Thanks for the review, Brian. I look forward to purchasing the 20D soon.

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.