Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

D600 Class Action Law Suit

danh920
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

this was my email from earlier this week

Good afternoon,

Good news!

As a result of your involvement in the Nikon D600 camera lawsuit, Nikon has offered to immediately provide you with a new D610 camera in exchange for settling your individual claim.

In order to accept this settlement offer and receive a D610 you must complete the following steps:

1. Complete and sign the attached Qualifying Statement, Short Form Release, and Confidentiality Agreement.

2. Register your D600 camera at the following link: https://support.nikonusa.com/ci/documents/detail/5/144/12/33a9814ba32973bc88a6c149468e888c2cd1adf5

3. After registering your D600 camera, you will be prompted to create and print a pre-paid UPS Return Label and packing slip.

4. Pack your defective D600 camera, packing slip, and the original signed copy of your Qualifying Statement, Short Form Release, and Confidentiality Agreement in a box, and affix the UPS Return Label. Drop the box off at any UPS facility. (Visit https://www.ups.com/dropoff for hours and locations.) You may also arrange to have your shipment collected by a UPS driver.

5. Once Nikon receives your D600 and the required documents they will mail you a replacement D610 camera.

Please send only your D600 camera, packing slip, and the Qualifying Statement, Short Form Release, and Confidentiality Agreement to this address. When shipping, please secure the D600 camera in a plastic bag inside the shipping box with quality packing material on all sides of the D600 camera. Your D600 must be received in satisfactory working order. Do not include any lenses, batteries, memory cards or other accessories. Also please ensure that your name and address are printed legibly on the Qualifying Statement, Short Form Release, and Confidentiality Agreement.

This settlement offer is completely voluntary. You have until November 30, 2014 to accept this offer. Anyone who chooses not to participate will retain their right to pursue further legal action against Nikon. However, as a result of this offer we will no longer be pursuing legal action against Nikon for its defective D600 cameras.

D600 owners who did not contact our law firm may avail themselves of Nikonís updated D600 repair and replacement program.

It is critical to note that you must keep this resolution completely confidential, which you agree to do by signing the attached Confidentiality Agreement. Any dissemination of the information contained in this email or the settlement offer may render you ineligible to receive a D610. Please refrain from posting any information about the settlement offer or your replacement D610 on any websites, and refrain from discussing the settlement offer with any other individuals.

Thank you for contacting our law firm and for your participation in the case. Please let us know if you have any questions, and should you need legal representation in the future please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

BRIAN C. GUDMUNDSON | PARTNER

ZIMMERMAN REED, PLLP
1100 IDS Center, 80 South 8th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402 T 612.341.0400

BEHDAD C. SADEGHI | ATTORNEY

ZIMMERMAN REED, PLLP
1100 IDS Center, 80 South 8th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402 T 612.341.0400

Aug 01, 2014 at 07:08 PM
danh920
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

i may have broken the rules...good thing I already sold my d600

Aug 01, 2014 at 07:11 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

I think I'm actually happy to keep my D600, based on this, it sounds like I'll get free sensor cleanings for life: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/01/how-to-replace-your-nikon-d600-camera-with-a-d610.aspx/

Aug 01, 2014 at 07:33 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

I sold mine after two unsuccessful attempts to have it fixed by Nikon and being without my brand new product for over 10 weeks.I'm currently using a D800 because I had invested in several Nikon lenses and didn't feel like taking
any additional loses. It is a great camera but the d600 was a better fit to my needs and my budget.Nikon is the
General Motors of the camera business. They are a dishonest and stupid organization.

Aug 01, 2014 at 07:37 PM
MitchSC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

brett maxwell wrote:
I think I'm actually happy to keep my D600, based on this, it sounds like I'll get free sensor cleanings for life: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/01/how-to-replace-your-nikon-d600-camera-with-a-d610.aspx/

I feel the same. I benefited from the oil/dust fiasco. I was able to buy a practically new (148 shutter count) D600 for $1250. Nikon will replace the shutter and clean the sensor forever or give me a new D610 after three shutter replacements. Even though I wasn't happy with possibly having to send it to Nikon this was a no brainier for me.

Edited on Aug 01, 2014 at 11:18 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2014 at 08:44 PM
SAng
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

I'm happy to keep mine, no problems and an awesome camera.

Aug 01, 2014 at 10:05 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

jim allison wrote:
Nikon is the General Motors of the camera business. They are a dishonest and stupid organization.

Brutal! But spot on.

Aug 01, 2014 at 10:21 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

We are likely to see a sea of D610 coming on the B&W board.

Aug 02, 2014 at 06:30 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

danh920 wrote:
i may have broken the rules...

Not unless you had already signed the Confidentiality Agreement.

Aug 03, 2014 at 07:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

mshi wrote:
We are likely to see a sea of D610 coming on the B&W board.

Why, are they not so good with color?

EBH

Aug 03, 2014 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

The e-mail went to thousands of people. How can they expect to keep that confidential

EBH

Aug 03, 2014 at 08:12 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

Look for another "fire sale" by Nikon. D600 refurbs at super low prices!

Aug 03, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

molson wrote:
Not unless you had already signed the Confidentiality Agreement.

A contract may be null and void when made under duress. An argument could be made that Nikon and/or the law firm running the class action placed D600 owners under duress by denying relief to victimized buyers unless they signed away their right of free speech.

If Nikon were acting in good faith, they would proclaim from the rooftops that they care about their customers, and seek aggressively to replace defective D600s with D610s.

If the law firm were acting in good faith, they would want justice for everyone, and not beg: "Please don't share this solution with anybody we don't make a profit from--even though Nikon has agreed to do it for everyone who asks. We beseech you not to disclose this to the Internet, where all might benefit." (I paraphrase.)

Kudos to danh920 for placing in clear view what only the dishonest or greedy would seek to hide.

--Chris

Edited on Aug 04, 2014 at 07:05 AM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:00 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

Well they are "Awarded Best Law Firms by U.S. News & World Report," so how can you go wrong.

EBH

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:14 AM
OccAeon
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

Chris S. wrote:
A contract may be null and void when made under duress. An argument could be made that Nikon and/or the law firm running the class action placed D600 owners under duress by denying relief to victimized buyers unless they signed away their right of free speech.

That's not duress :-), and the right of free speech doesn't apply in these circumstances.

Assuming that the e-mail quoted above is legitimate, it's kind of weird. The lawfirm should know that sending out a proposal along with a confidentiality agreement is not the smartest way to go about this, if they really want to keep it confidential. Before the recipient signs the confidentiality agreement, they are not bound, and they can disclose the terms (assuming that there is no other pre-existing agreement) - exactly what danh920 did (thanks by the way :-)). If they really wanted to keep the terms secret, they should have sent the confidentiality agreement first, and then only sent the terms after receiving a signed confidentiality agreement from each person.

I took a look at the docket - the case number is 3:14-cv-00764-VC in N.D. Cal. if anyone is interested. It looks like they settled out long before the class was even certified, which means that the terms of the settlement did not need to be approved by the judge, and also that someone else could come along and potentially create another class action over the same issue. All in all, if the e-mail above is legitimate, it looks like a pretty good deal for those who signed up for the class in this suit.

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:42 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

LoL - "right of free speech" is completely misused here (if you're referring to the Constitution anyway...).

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Jim8EL
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

CanadaMark wrote:
Class action law suits usually end with the lawyers getting a ton of money, and the "victims" getting basically nothing each. The company loses money, the lawyers get rich, and the people who are being represented get nothing. That's how they all work. Quite silly, actually. Anyone thinking they were "sticking it" to Nikon or going to get rich by joining that suit had no clue how these usually go down. All it likely accomplished was the further delay of the D400 due to reduced R&D funds

In the one C/A suit I've been involved in I was made 100% whole. So, not always the case.

Aug 04, 2014 at 07:01 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

This thread was the source of news for nikonrumors.com

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/06/nikon-d600-class-action-lawsuit-settlement-reached-d600-owners-can-get-a-new-d610-camera.aspx/#more-78640

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:21 PM
hyogen

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

what if you weren't part of the class action lawsuit?

I guess the free cleanings for life and free D610 afterwards is good enough for me. Unfortunately, though...I think I've decided to go to Canon for a completely different issue.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:30 AM
Chris S.
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D600 Class Action Law Suit

hyogen wrote:
what if you weren't part of the class action lawsuit?

Sounds as if you're still covered: "D600 owners who did not contact our law firm may avail themselves of Nikonís updated D600 repair and replacement program."

And "2. Register your D600 camera at the following link: https://support.nikonusa.com/ci/documents/detail/5/144/12/33a9814ba3"

--Chris

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:37 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password