New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Tokina 24-200?

detailer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 24-200?

I need an all purpose lens for more informal general purpose work with my 10D. Anyone out there using the Tokina 24-200? Any good?

Sep 04, 2004 at 05:32 PM
davekone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 24-200?

Same here, I'm looking at that lens as well for a light cover it all walk around lens.

Sep 04, 2004 at 06:30 PM
J Williams
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 24-200?

It is a very good lens for a super zoom. Generally rates the best of the 2x-200s and I believe the only one that starts at 24. It is pretty heavy, but very well built. I have one, but honestly I rarely use it snymore. I now have the 1-40L & 70-200L so I tend to use them instead. If you want a wide ranging zoom for any of the 1.6x crop cameras this is the one to have because it still gives you a decent wide end. If either of you are interested I may sell mine.

Sep 04, 2004 at 06:54 PM
detailer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 24-200?

Thanks Jonathan, it sounds perfect for my commission needs, i.e. group shots plus individual zoomed without having to change lenses. As you say, it's the only one with 24 at the wide end. Thanks for your kind offer of a sale, the packing and shipping abroad ( I am in London) would be a hassle for you. Dave K may be interested but I have been offered a mint used one here at a very good price and will now go for it.

Sep 05, 2004 at 02:13 PM
arnond
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 24-200?

I have this lens for a few months now and I can only join Jonathan's praise of this lens.
It's a great walk around lens and is much better then the Canon and Sigma offerings. Just be aware that it's a lot heavier then the competitors' lens, but this is because of the great build quality, almost all metal.

Arnon.

Sep 06, 2004 at 02:18 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 24-200?

I used it previously when I first got my D30. The range is fantastic for travel, and the sharpness and contrast are around average (in the same league as the 24-85, 28-135), which makes it very impressive for such a "superzoom". Construction is pretty solid even though it's not a ATX Pro lens, but the MF ring moves when focussing, so one negative point there.

At 600+ grams, it is heavy, but lighter and more convenient than what you would get with say a 24-85 + 70-200 f3.5-4.5 combo. www.vividlight.com has a very positive review of it (http://www.vividlight.com/articles/910.htm). Here is also my sample picture of how well the AF in AI servo tracking works: http://www.pbase.com/image/6418631

Sep 06, 2004 at 10:04 AM
detailer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina 24-200?

Hi Arnon,

The weight isn't an issue, compared to my old manual Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (anyone remember that fine beast?) it's not bad at all. The build quality is, as you say, excellent. Give me function over form any day.

Hi Nutek

Super photo of the pigeons! Wow! The Vivid Light review is first rate, so I am going to go ahead and buy it.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys, very helpful.

Sep 06, 2004 at 02:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.