Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       16       end

Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

lescrane

Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

problem today for first time with 70D body(just upgraded from 60D)

In AI Servo, multi point zone or single point (non center) I had the Tamron just stop focusing entirely. No visible attempt to even try to acquire focus. I checked all my settings and switches. everything ok. I don't suspect the new body because it was working with the kit lens and a sigma I have. Not a happy camper. I knew people were having issues w/accuracy, hit ratio, etc. but didn't realize the focusing became inoperative in AI Servo

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:32 PM
surfinrobin

p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Les, if you read back through the threads, most if not all the issues on this lens are around focusing issues on AI Servo. However it's interesting that you're experiencing issues on the 70D as that was one of the bodies that users have stated seemed to work in AI Servo.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:00 PM
lescrane

p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

thanks surfinrobin.

I just rechecked and confirmed that the lens is focusing w/the 60d in all modes, at all focal lengths.

The 70D body is focusing w/the other lenses. So we have a compatibility issue at least with my copies. I did read all the threads before, I kind of disregarded since I was ok. Also I didn't realize that theAI focusing with others was not working at all, which is what I have. Not just slow, or a few misses, but no response when I press the focus button.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:07 PM
lescrane

p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Problem solved. USER ERROR!!!!. sort of..

Under custom function AF # 6,- I had option 1 set, which pretty much stops attempt to autofocus when it doesnt achieve focus. I'm not sure if this is the default. Option 0 is to continue to seek focus.. this cleared it up.

I guess on shorter lenses or even on the Tamron at short FL's it didn't matter, but when zoomed in all the way, the AF system is challenged, therefore, the focusing just stopped dead.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:43 PM
gregscace

p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

lescrane wrote:
Problem solved. USER ERROR!!!!. sort of..

Under custom function AF # 6,- I had option 1 set, which pretty much stops attempt to autofocus when it doesnt achieve focus. I'm not sure if this is the default. Option 0 is to continue to seek focus.. this cleared it up.

I guess on shorter lenses or even on the Tamron at short FL's it didn't matter, but when zoomed in all the way, the AF system is challenged, therefore, the focusing just stopped dead.

This is very interesting to me as the lens is within the range of affordability for me, unlike a 600L. I don't shoot a lot of BIF, but I do shoot sports and wildlife when the opportunity presents itself. Is it possible that the custom function setting you describe is the root of some of the problems with the lens? I've also wondered how camera bodies can autofocus this lens, when most Canon autofocus systems are incompatible with lenses slower than f 5.6. For folks who are experiencing problems with 5dmk3 (what I shoot with), are autofocus problems related to use of earlier firmware versions? Latest firmware supports f8 autofocus, but only on the center autofocus point, I think (don't own any lenses that slow). What autofocus points are used by this lens? Is it group C (Tamron 200-500 is, I think)? If folks are having trouble with 5dmk3 or 1dx, is there any correlation to how the sliders set for tracking, autofocus point switching, etc? Is it possible that the lens just doesn't transmit enough light for reliable autofocus in contrast situations that would normally work with the available autofocus points coupled with a faster lens?

I do like the results folks are getting in situations that don't require the AF to keep up. Got my fingers crossed that problems with this lens might be related to user inexperience and that once experience is gained, the lens will prove to be a useable alternative to spending an amount of cash equal to the price of a decent used car.

-Greg

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:23 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

HAL: It can only be attributable to human error

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Roy Morales
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

gregscace - I looked at your profile - no luck . If you have a 2 X and / or couple of 1.4 extenders , you can get to F 8 real fast . Tubes will do it too .
1.4 extender = 1 stop , 2 - 1.4 extenders = 2 stops . a 2 X extender = 2 stops , a 2 X extender +1.4 = 3 stops . a 12 mm tube will give 1 less stop , a 24 mm = 2 stops - etc . This means an F 4 lens with a 2 X extender is as far as camera is concerned an F 8 lens .

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM
lescrane

p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

gregscace wrote:
This is very interesting to me as the lens is within the range of affordability for me, unlike a 600L. I don't shoot a lot of BIF, but I do shoot sports and wildlife when the opportunity presents itself. Is it possible that the custom function setting you describe is the root of some of the problems with the lens? I've also wondered how camera bodies can autofocus this lens, when most Canon autofocus systems are incompatible with lenses slower than f 5.6. For folks who are experiencing problems with 5dmk3 (what I shoot with), are autofocus problems related to
...Show more

many posters have said that the lens "tricks" the camera into thinking it's a 5.6min...it reports 5.6. How this works, I don't know because the limitation of the camera would be on the amount of light gathered, and you can't "trick" the sensor into thinking there is more light. yet, Tamron could/would not market a lens as autofocus unless it autofocuses. If it didn't AF on all canon bodies, it would have to be sold with that specified.

So we;ve all seen as you said great static images and also a lot of really good flying eagles, seagulls and other birds, none by me!! So I wouldn't let my exp.color your decision making. What I;m seeing is that like many other types of systems, the best performance is only as good as the weakest link. I thought getting the 70D would give me all these enhanced focusing options...and maybe it will (and already has) on faster, shorter lenses. However, maybe 19 points, 60 points , zones etc won't amount to a hill of beans shooting on this 600mm f 6.3 lens.....

I am otherwise quite pleased with the 70D. It's funny, but I went for a short hike w/the 70D + sigma 18-250 macro "walk around" lens, and got some great shots of the snowy banks along a local river and lake, then some mallards. I found a single Green Winged Teal swimming near the mallards and went home to get my super duper 150-600 to try to get a close shot. So the Green Winged Teal was no longer around, and I could'nt get the lens to focus on the mallards.....

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Not sure If this had been posted, but it has some great images, and a quick review as well:

http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/f...amron-150.html

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:03 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

lescrane wrote:
many posters have said that the lens "tricks" the camera into thinking it's a 5.6min...it reports 5.6. How this works, I don't know because the limitation of the camera would be on the amount of light gathered, and you can't "trick" the sensor into thinking there is more light. yet, Tamron could/would not market a lens as autofocus unless it autofocuses. If it didn't AF on all canon bodies, it would have to be sold with that specified.

The AF limitation at smaller apertures than f5.6 is software induced, it is a canon choice.
The reason behind it is open to debate, some claim it's canon's way of protecting their series one cameras, others claim that canon considers that the performance at lower than f5.6 is bellow what they consider to be acceptable, so they disable it by software for this reason.

The proof for this is if you use a non-reporting TC on a f5.6 lens, it will AF on all canon cameras.
If you tape the pins of a reporting TC, it will AF as well.
The reason for this is that, since the camera does not know the TC is there, it will AF, or at least attempt to.
So no, it's not an issue of the "limitation of the camera (...) on the amount of light gathered, and you can't "trick" the sensor into thinking there is more light".

Think of it this way: if you mount a lens with the lens cap on and attempt to AF.... it will try to AF!
And there is no light hitting the AF sensors...

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deadedwalking

p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

thanks for this post; very helpful

Feb 11, 2014 at 09:38 PM
lescrane

p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

that does make sense. tx for clearing up. In fact, at one time had a 1.4x T.C and 100-400L and did the "taped sensor trick". It allowed AF, but didn't do much for the IQ.

Feb 11, 2014 at 09:39 PM
lescrane

p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

that does make sense. tx for clearing up. In fact, at one time had a 1.4x T.C and 100-400L and did the "taped contact pin trick". It allowed AF, but didn't do much for the IQ.

Feb 11, 2014 at 09:39 PM
HDRGUY

p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

I picked up the Tamron 150-600 today and have run it through some tests. So far, some of the results are very interesting. These findings may ONLY be with this copy, but I would be interested in knowing if someone else has run into similar issues. All of the tests were done while in AI Servo mode, holding the shutter down and moving focus target over near to far objects and visa versa.

Canon 7D:
AI Servo DOES work from 150-250mm. Anything above that, it fails to focus.
Focus seems to stick a lot of the time when zoomed out to 600mm, even when letting up on shutter and pressing it again.

Canon 5D Mark III:
AI Servo DOES work from 150-300mm. Anything above that, it fails to focus.
Focus seems to stick a lot of the time when zoomed out to 600mm, even when letting up on shutter and pressing it again.

I would be very interested in knowing if it is just this lens or if people are finding similar issues.

Feb 21, 2014 at 09:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

HDRGUY wrote:
I picked up the Tamron 150-600 today and have run it through some tests. So far, some of the results are very interesting. These findings may ONLY be with this copy, but I would be interested in knowing if someone else has run into similar issues. All of the tests were done while in AI Servo mode, holding the shutter down and moving focus target over near to far objects and visa versa.

Canon 7D:
AI Servo DOES work from 150-250mm. Anything above that, it fails to focus.
Focus seems to stick a lot of the time when zoomed out to 600mm,
...Show more

Hi HDRGUY, thanks for these findings.

Could you double check and then confirm that you have the CF setting on the 7D: C.FnIII: Autofocus/Drive Lens drive when AF impossible set to "0" Focus Search ON

And in the 5D3: AF (purple menu) #4, first line, same setting should be "ON"

Thanks, as I hadn't read much about 5D3 problems and a few people have and this be the problem although I also realize a lot of people haven't had this as the problem and have double checked this setting.

Geoff

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM
HDRGUY

p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Hi Geoff,

Double checked the settings and both cameras were set up as you had mentioned. i.e. Focus Search is set to "ON" for both.

So frustrating, especially because I haven't really heard of people having issues on 5D III. Of all the posts I have been reading, it seems like most people can't get the lens to work in AI Servo at all when using the 7D. Not sure if they tried between the 150-250 range?

Either way, I'm not sure what to do. If I knew that Tamron could fix this with a firmware upgrade, then I would hold onto the lens. If they are going to have to recall the lenses, I might as well return this one and wait for a replacement lens to arrive.

Thoughts?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Diver-Down

p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

Mine seems to work pretty good in good light as long as the distance between objects isn't too great, just say 100 feet +/- I had it shift to distance objects a few times then it would lock up a few times, so inconsistent there but not too bad scanning along a tree line at 600mm. Camera is a 7D

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

HDRGUY wrote:
Thoughts?

Sure, complain to your retailer and send an email describing your problem to:

Tamron Japan Customer Service <inquiry-support@tamron.co.jp>

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

HDRGUY wrote:

Have you read the other threads

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM
HDRGUY

p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review

I have read the other threads.

Feb 22, 2014 at 01:28 AM
       16       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

16       end