Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2004 · 10D- selecting AF points
  
 
wojteg
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10D- selecting AF points


Hello!
When to use only one AF point and when to use all seven.
Is there any reason to select any number between 1 and 7?
Greetings........................Wojtek..................



Sep 01, 2004 at 04:32 PM
alexcs
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10D- selecting AF points


ive gotta say everytime ive used 7 point af on the 10D ive been thoroughly let down.

in crowd shots, it focuses on the wrong person, and in motorsport shots it seems to focus on the background and completely blur the subject. I use the centre AF point on the 10D 99.9% of the time with 99.9% success

It eliminates error.



Sep 02, 2004 at 08:11 AM
cklugewicz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10D- selecting AF points


I agree completely. I never use the 7 point AF -- always pick my point (the center, most of the time -- I'll crop the shot later in PS).

-- Chris



Sep 02, 2004 at 10:45 AM
BurtR
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10D- selecting AF points


Same here, When I got the 10D I thought I had a bad copy because I couldn't get what I wanted in focus. Switched to centre point, problem solved and I've never switched back.

Burt




Sep 02, 2004 at 12:24 PM
uz2work
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10D- selecting AF points


Similar to what others have said, soon after I started using a 10D, I found that, if I stuck with the manually selected center point, the AF was accurate and reliable. Whenever I tried to use all 7 focus points, it was anyone's guess what it was going to choose to focus on, and it rarely chose to focus on the subject that I would have wanted it to focus on.
Les



Sep 02, 2004 at 12:30 PM
slin100
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 10D- selecting AF points


And to answer Wojtek's other question, it is not possible to select any number other than 1 or 7 on the 10D.


Sep 02, 2004 at 01:20 PM
paulhodson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 10D- selecting AF points


I am probably simple but I could never see the reason for several focus points. After all, you need to know what is going to be in focus and using the central one makes that clear.

Could someone come up with a really good reason for using them all?



Sep 02, 2004 at 01:51 PM
RDKirk
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 10D- selecting AF points


paulhodson wrote:
I am probably simple but I could never see the reason for several focus points. After all, you need to know what is going to be in focus and using the central one makes that clear.

Could someone come up with a really good reason for using them all?


Ski jumpers against a clear, blue sky.

Actually, if you're shooting in AI Focus or AI Servo mode, you can note what the focus locks on when you half press the shutter release, and while it's half-pressed the camera will pretty reliably continue to track that object as it moves across several different focus points.



Sep 02, 2004 at 01:59 PM
wojteg
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 10D- selecting AF points


Hello!
Thanks for all answer.I had same experience,but as a newbie I want to make sure about it.
It would be nice to select more then one AF point...
Greetings...........Wojtek..............



Sep 02, 2004 at 04:03 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


paulhodson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 10D- selecting AF points


RDKirk wrote:
Ski jumpers against a clear, blue sky.

Actually, if you're shooting in AI Focus or AI Servo mode, you can note what the focus locks on when you half press the shutter release, and while it's half-pressed the camera will pretty reliably continue to track that object as it moves across several different focus points.


Well I knew there had to be a reason! Pretty limited then in most cases as far as I am concerned. Still - thanks for the answer



Sep 02, 2004 at 04:14 PM
cristina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 10D- selecting AF points


cklugewicz wrote:
I agree completely. I never use the 7 point AF -- always pick my point (the center, most of the time -- I'll crop the shot later in PS).

-- Chris


Unless you are shooting wide open with very shallow DOF, why don't you just focus with the center point and RECOMPOSE? Don't waste the pixels on the crop.



Sep 02, 2004 at 04:19 PM
nutek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 10D- selecting AF points


I only have 3 AF points on my D30 and they are way too few! Consider yourself lucky that you have 7 on your 10D..

When to use the non-middle AF points? When shooting portraits wide-open, macros and when using E-TTL flash. Focus-lock and recompose works for your point and shoot digital with near infinite depth of field, but when you only have a few millimeters of depth of field, focus lock and recompose doesn't work anymore. Think: focus on the eyes in the portrait - recompose the camera - eyes now out of focus. Likewise for macro shots where the subject is off-center - there's no way using the center focussing point only will work at high magnifications.

E-TTL. If you only use the center-focussing point, you are forced to use FEL everytime in order to get reliable exposures. Selecting and using the side AF points is way faster and more convenient than FEL-ing every shot.

When to use ALL 3 or 7 or 45 AF points?
When using AI servo and it is too difficult to track the subject with only the center focussing point (e.g. fast moving objects like flitty butterflies - try tracking them with only the center AF point! I assure you that you will be giddy with exhaustion trying to keep up with the butterfly!). In this instance, the more AF points you have covering the image area, the faster and more accurate your AF servo speed will be. Imagine my frustration with only 3 AF points (and so narrowly-spaced at that too) - you should be glad you have 7 or 9 or 45!



Sep 02, 2004 at 05:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 10D- selecting AF points


paulhodson wrote:
I am probably simple but I could never see the reason for several focus points. After all, you need to know what is going to be in focus and using the central one makes that clear.

Could someone come up with a really good reason for using them all?


Why do you think the 1DmkII has 45 points

Lars



Sep 02, 2004 at 05:07 PM
paulhodson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 10D- selecting AF points


nutek wrote:
I only have 3 AF points on my D30 and they are way too few! Consider yourself lucky that you have 7 on your 10D..


Thanks - I knew there was a reason there somewhere and I understand what you say. In practice then for most of my photography the one will do - but when I get that 85mm f1.2 - the others are being switched on as well.



Sep 02, 2004 at 05:19 PM
paulhodson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 10D- selecting AF points




Why do you think the 1DmkII has 45 points

Lars


Cos it costs more



Sep 02, 2004 at 05:21 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 10D- selecting AF points


paulhodson wrote:


Cos it costs more


No, 100$ per point.
10D cost 200$ per point




Sep 02, 2004 at 05:34 PM
paulhodson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 10D- selecting AF points


Lars Johnsson wrote:
No, 100$ per point.
10D cost 200$ per point



You win _peace_



Sep 02, 2004 at 05:36 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password