Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · Google Nik autoupdating
  
 
Lutefisker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Google Nik autoupdating


I found out the hard way that Google has an autoupdate "feature." I've been a longtime user of several of the Nik plug-ins (especially Silver Efex and Color Efex), but a recent autoupdate has rendered the software essentially unusable. I've been in contact with tech support and they have been helpful in trying to find a work around. I've asked that they simply send me the previous version that worked just fine, but they refused.

If you want to preserve a version of Nik that works for you, you might be want to disable Google updates. I found GUU (ironically, by using Google) at http://wireload.net/products/guu-google-update-uninstaller/, but presumably there are other approaches as well.

I'm in the process of evaluating alternatives to Nik software because I'm adamantly opposed to automatic updates.

Does any other software use autoupdate?

Thanks,
Rick





Nov 12, 2013 at 06:44 PM
RAF09
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Google Nik autoupdating


"Nik plug-ins (especially Silver Efex and Color Efex), but a recent autoupdate has rendered the software essentially unusable." What do you mean unusable? The whole suite or just Silver/Color Efex? I just noticed Silver Efex doesn't work on either of my Win 7 machines but it is the only one of the bunch. And, it appears that it updated.


Nov 13, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Lutefisker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Google Nik autoupdating


It takes well over a minute for the plug-in to load and once the adjustments are made and saved, I have to quit and re-start Aperture to see the image. I don't recall off-hand whether this is also happening in the other programs, but can check tomorrow if you'd like.


Nov 13, 2013 at 08:17 AM
Ho1972
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Google Nik autoupdating


The update has allegedly made the Nik package incompatible with some graphics cards; under Settings, try switching off Enable GPU Processing. Conversely, if GPU processing is switched off, try turning it on. Seems that Google may have also disabled the GPU for some installs with no good reason.

I am in complete agreement regarding the fallacy of auto updates. My method for disabling Google update on Win machines is here



Nov 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM
James_N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Google Nik autoupdating


From what I can tell Google pushed at least three updates to the Google Nik Collection recently:

version 1.1.0.4 - was released in late October; this was the version that caused the "MSVCP110.dd error" for many users.
version 1.1.0.5 - released around October 30, 2013
version 1.1.0.7 - the current version, was released on November 7, 2013.

Its possible that there was a version 1.1.0.6 update but I didn't notice it.

I'm using version 1.1.0.7 on a Windows computer and all the plug-ins work correctly for me.

I don't see the auto-updating as a big deal but if it bothers you its easy to solve. On a Windows computer you can either use a firewall to block outgoing access to the Google Update executable, or rename the filename extension of the GoogleUpdate.exe file so it wouldn't run. I'm sure you can do the same on a Mac or even drag it to the Trash but I wouldn't advise doing that.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate and the actual Google Nik plug-ins are located at C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\. But if you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\ you will find the GoogleUpdate.exe module, and the Downloads folder containing all the updates that were automatically downloaded and installed on your computer.

To me the C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Downloads folder is the most inefficient aspect since those updates have already been installed yet they remain behind just occupying hard disk space. Each update is approx. 375 MB in size so you're easily wasting over 1GB of hard disk space with all the updates. If you're like me and you don't download files to your OS drive you can safely move the contents of those Downloads sub-folders to another hard drive. All that I've described is on a Windows computer but I'm sure you can use Finder to find the GoogleUpdate module and the Downloads folder on a Mac.

Automatically updating software isn't all that common to me but it occasionally happens. As you already pointed out Google Chrome automatically updates. Adobe AIR and Adobe Flash Player can be configured to update automatically (in fact all Adobe software based on AIR technology) but they differ from Google's software in that when installing them for the first time you are given choices on how you want subsequent updates to be done; automatically or simply notify the user that updates are available.

EDIT: I dug a bit into this and found these uninstall instructions although I'm pretty sure they wouldn't work for Windows since Google Update doesn't show up in the list of installed programs in the Control Panel.

Google Update and Google Updater


Lutefisker wrote:
I found out the hard way that Google has an autoupdate "feature." I've been a longtime user of several of the Nik plug-ins (especially Silver Efex and Color Efex), but a recent autoupdate has rendered the software essentially unusable. I've been in contact with tech support and they have been helpful in trying to find a work around. I've asked that they simply send me the previous version that worked just fine, but they refused.

If you want to preserve a version of Nik that works for you, you might be want to disable Google updates. I found GUU (ironically, by
...Show more



Nov 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM
voltaire
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Google Nik autoupdating


My HDR Efex Pro2 just stopped working from both my iMac and MacBook Pro. At first the iMac was the only one affected but now the MB Pro has the same issue. Not really happy with Google auto updates.

I'm still trying to see how to make this HDR Efex work again.

Thanks,
Voltaire



Nov 13, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Cphoto1954
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Google Nik autoupdating


They definitely did something in the last day or so that affects my GPU Graphics Card settings. Just can not find it in LR to change it, (UPDATE - Looks like that has never been an option in LR). GOOGLE you are frustrating me with your "Updates" like this! I'm a working pro and time is money.

PC - Win7 64 LR5 & CS5



Nov 13, 2013 at 05:02 PM
RAF09
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Google Nik autoupdating


Ho1972 wrote:
The update has allegedly made the Nik package incompatible with some graphics cards; under Settings, try switching off Enable GPU Processing. Conversely, if GPU processing is switched off, try turning it on. Seems that Google may have also disabled the GPU for some installs with no good reason.

I am in complete agreement regarding the fallacy of auto updates. My method for disabling Google update on Win machines is here



Thanks for the info, I know the updates are FREE but they should at least warn a user that they are coming and offer a choice of taking it or not and when. I'm not in the habit of checking version or upgrade status every time I use a plugin.



Nov 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM
jforkner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Google Nik autoupdating


Interesting. All products in the suite work fine on my iMac (Mountain Lion) in PS CS6. FWIW, the last mod to each of the Nik programs is March 25, 2013--no updates seem to have taken place recently for me. And I've done nothing about autoupdates with Google.

Jack



Nov 15, 2013 at 02:19 PM
msalvetti
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Google Nik autoupdating


James_N wrote:
To me the C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Downloads folder is the most inefficient aspect since those updates have already been installed yet they remain behind just occupying hard disk space. Each update is approx. 375 MB in size so you're easily wasting over 1GB of hard disk space with all the updates. If you're like me and you don't download files to your OS drive you can safely move the contents of those Downloads sub-folders to another hard drive. All that I've described is on a Windows computer but I'm sure you can use Finder to find the GoogleUpdate module and the
...Show more

Does this mean that if the Nik suite has stopped working for someone, they can uninstall and then run an earlier version that should still be in that folder?

Mark



Nov 15, 2013 at 05:07 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Prevelige
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Google Nik autoupdating


I thought that the upgrade had corrupted some dll files or something, that simply re-installing the trial version remedied it. Have I confused 2 separate issues?


Nov 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM
James_N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Google Nik autoupdating


Yes, I tested uninstalling and reinstalling an older version from the Downloads folder and it works.



msalvetti wrote:
Does this mean that if the Nik suite has stopped working for someone, they can uninstall and then run an earlier version that should still be in that folder?

Mark




Nov 15, 2013 at 06:08 PM
James_N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Google Nik autoupdating


No, you aren't confusing the issue; if you run the trial version over the corrupted install it will be corrected. However, I'm pointing out that several older versions are likely already on your computer (if you're running Windows). So you can easily install one of those older versions instead of downloading the trial version.


Prevelige wrote:
I thought that the upgrade had corrupted some dll files or something, that simply re-installing the trial version remedied it. Have I confused 2 separate issues?




Nov 15, 2013 at 06:12 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Google Nik autoupdating


That's truly vile if there is no way to opt out of the auto updates.

EBH



Nov 16, 2013 at 03:58 AM
jforkner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Google Nik autoupdating


Not sure what's going on here, perhaps it's a PC-thing. As I stated earlier, I have no problems with the Nik Suite on my Mac. In fact, I just discovered the suite now contains a product called Analog Efex Pro. I inquired about adding it to my existing suite and they sent me a link to download the latest update including the new program. I installed it and all the programs work fine, including the new Analog program.

I have no automatic updating to my suite. In fact, can find no way to turn on or off automatic updates for the suite.

Jack



Nov 16, 2013 at 01:36 PM
James_N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Google Nik autoupdating


You might want to read through this: http://tools.google.com/mac/updaterfaq.html

jforkner wrote:
Not sure what's going on here, perhaps it's a PC-thing. As I stated earlier, I have no problems with the Nik Suite on my Mac. In fact, I just discovered the suite now contains a product called Analog Efex Pro. I inquired about adding it to my existing suite and they sent me a link to download the latest update including the new program. I installed it and all the programs work fine, including the new Analog program.

I have no automatic updating to my suite. In fact, can find no way to turn on or off automatic updates for the
...Show more



Nov 16, 2013 at 01:50 PM
jforkner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Google Nik autoupdating


James_N wrote:
You might want to read through this: http://tools.google.com/mac/updaterfaq.html


I did. So it is a PC-thing. Cool. Thanks.

Jack



Nov 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Lutefisker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Google Nik autoupdating


Update on updater....

I asked tech support, "Iíve heard that Google no longer uses autoupdate to automatically update Nik software on the Mac. Is this true?" and they responded, "No, that is not true. We are still using the autoupdate feature on both Mac and PC. For awhile, it was off, which is why some Macs weren't getting the update. However, it has been back on for the past few days. We are looking into adding an option that allows for the user to decide whether they want to install the update."



Nov 18, 2013 at 05:16 PM
James_N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Google Nik autoupdating


Google has been pushing out the Nik Software v1.09 autoupdate over the past few days.

For Windows users this means large executable files (367 MB each) have been placed on your operating system drive and not removed after the update is complete. So if especially you have an SSD drive and you're wondering why the available space is shrinking take a look at the C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Download and C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Install folders. You will see two instances of nikcollection-1.1.0.9.exe that can safely be relocated to another hard drive to free up space on your system drive.



Dec 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Ho1972
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Google Nik autoupdating


It appears I've successfully dodged that update. I'll download at a time of my choosing.


Dec 14, 2013 at 02:37 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password