Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              7       8       end
  

Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark
  
 
Fred Miranda
Online
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Sony A7R sensor gets high scores by Dx0Mark
DxOMark puts the Sony α7R sensor to the test and although predictable, the results are incredible for such small mirrorless camera. The scores are pretty much identical to Nikon's DxOMark champion D800E.

"Compared to the 36-Mpix Nikon D800 models, the results are very similar indeed, implying the new Sony A7R uses the same (Sony made) sensor."

"Although we canít provide any commentary on image sharpness at this stage in our tests, the sensor in the Sony Alpha 7R performs exceptionally and is on a par with that found in the D800 models. Given the Sonyís small size, low weight and outstanding sensor performance, itís one of the most intriguing and compelling new additions in recent times." - Read more


_________________

Pre-order Information:

Cameras:Lenses & Accessories:

















Oct 31, 2013 at 04:18 PM
snapsy
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Results are basically equal to a D800E. 18% gray SNR is 1/6 stop behind the D800E. Dynamic range about the same save for the weird D800E blip at ISO 200, color response looks very close to the D800E but slightly worse. All the results look to be within the margin of error. Would have liked to see Sony improve the High ISO DR, although if it doesn't have the D800/E's amp noise it will still be a noticeable improvement over those bodies.


Oct 31, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Yea and CFA almost exactly like D800E. No A7R for me then..

I thought it has slightly worse colors than A99, but said to myself, well its JPGs. Apparently it wasnt JPGs. Sigh. :/

Well, f*ck that.. back to dSLRs.



Oct 31, 2013 at 04:36 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Mescalamba wrote:
Yea and CFA almost exactly like D800E. No A7R for me then..

I thought it has slightly worse colors than A99, but said to myself, well its JPGs. Apparently it wasnt JPGs. Sigh. :/

Well, f*ck that.. back to dSLRs.


But look at the size, weight, and cost comparison between the D800/D800e and the A7r to say nothing of the number of adaptable lenses for the A7r.

Rich

Edited on Oct 31, 2013 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions



Oct 31, 2013 at 04:40 PM
dmora
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


It's like Sony is incapable of making a vertical grip that doesn't look like an afterthought or a huge brick...


Oct 31, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Rickuz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Mescalamba wrote:
Yea and CFA almost exactly like D800E. No A7R for me then..

I thought it has slightly worse colors than A99, but said to myself, well its JPGs. Apparently it wasnt JPGs. Sigh. :/

Well, f*ck that.. back to dSLRs.

Ehm what? The A7R is awesome, at least in the eyes of us canonites with our ancient low DR and over-milked sensor tech.

I can understand you a little bit if you already have a D800 / D800E though.. But just a little bit.



Oct 31, 2013 at 04:58 PM
uhoh7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


dmora wrote:
It's like Sony is incapable of making a vertical grip that doesn't look like an afterthought or a huge brick...


First negative comment I've heard about it. Is that all u got?

what else you hate?



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Mescalamba wrote:
Yea and CFA almost exactly like D800E. No A7R for me then..

I thought it has slightly worse colors than A99, but said to myself, well its JPGs. Apparently it wasnt JPGs. Sigh. :/

Well, f*ck that.. back to dSLRs.


I take it you are referring to the individual "color response" measurement and not the overall "Portrait (Color Depth)" score? Interestingly, it appears that it might be the case that Sony sensors with AA filters have a higher color response measurement than those without an AA filter. That is the case with the RX1 vs RX1r anyway. I don't know ultimately how important that measurement is - that it actually makes as much difference as it might seem...at least I believe theSuede said something to that extent. It was a while back when discussing the A900 (which does have amazing color and color response #s?) so I'm not 100% sure.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:10 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


uhoh7 wrote:
First negative comment I've heard about it. Is that all u got?

what else you hate?


That's really the first negative?

How about slow flash sync, no electronic first curtain, it's not free, no dual SD card slots, no IBIS, it'll be managed by Sony, my photos will still be average, no built-in flash, and it won't solve world issues

That said, I have to agree the grip is butt-ugly. Probably pretty comfortable, though.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:18 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


I don't mind the look of the grip, but the placement of the front wheel is bizarre to say the least.


Oct 31, 2013 at 05:19 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Rickuz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


When people talk about "ugly" cameras or "ugly" grips, are they seriously talking about the looks of the product, or are they referring to the ergonomics?

Sad and ridiculous if it's the former. Do these people use their cameras as some kind of chick-magnets?



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:23 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Rickuz wrote:
When people talk about "ugly" cameras or "ugly" grips, are they seriously talking about the looks of the product, or are they referring to the ergonomics?

Sad and ridiculous if it's the former. Do these people use their cameras as some kind of chick-magnets?


I find it a little odd that someone who is apparently interested in the visual art of photography wouldn't be interested in the visual design from a camera maker. I'm not saying that function should follow form, but they're both important.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Tariq Gibran wrote:
I take it you are referring to the individual "color response" measurement and not the overall "Portrait (Color Depth)" score? Interestingly, it appears that it might be the case that Sony sensors with AA filters have a higher color response measurement than those without an AA filter. That is the case with the RX1 vs RX1r anyway. I don't know ultimately how important that measurement is - that it actually makes as much difference as it might seem...at least I believe theSuede said something to that extent. It was a while back when discussing the A900 (which does have
...Show more

http://www.dxomark.com/About/In-depth-measurements/Measurements/Color-sensitivity

Simply called SMI. A7R result of 78/75 is a "meh". D800E has 77/74 (I guess these sensors are really very similar). And for example 1D-X has 73/74, which is a bit.. tragic. Especially compared to 1D/s MK3 .

Bottom is currently 6D with 69/70. Thats somewhere around "tragicomedy" level. Quite visible in all pics taken with it.


Obviously people dont have same vision of colors and some are more or less colorblind. Since most photographers are still men, which are even more colorblind, it doesnt matter that much as it could.

That said, SMI is directly tied to CFA used. Better you get, better SMI you will have as results. Downside is that thicker CFA means also less light = more noise (tho in case of something like D4 sensor, it wouldnt have exactly big impact on SNR).

Issue with SMI is that it doesnt tell "where those color errors are". It doesnt tell if camera cant find difference between violet and blue flowers, or pink vs red skin tone. Even then its rather good tool for getting overall idea how much good or bad colors will be.

In case of A7R, if you are fine with current Nikon and Canon offerings, you will be fine with this. Actually you will probably gain in colors too.

Me? I will pass and wait if Nikon came to senses with Nikon "Pure" DF or whatever that will be and see then.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Rickuz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


douglasf13 wrote:
I find it a little odd that someone who is apparently interested in the visual art of photography wouldn't be interested in the visual design from a camera maker. I'm not saying that function should follow form, but they're both important.


Maybe it's just me, but as long as the camera delivers in the IQ department and feels good in my hands, I wouldn't care if the Camera is pink with neon-green smiley faces all over it.

Actually, an ugly camera is probably less prone to theft also.

That said, I don't find the A7R ugly.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


douglasf13 wrote:
I find it a little odd that someone who is apparently interested in the visual art of photography wouldn't be interested in the visual design from a camera maker. I'm not saying that function should follow form, but they're both important.


A7/R looks slightly "strange" and that grip seems to follow rest of the body. It might look better, but Im not sure it would be comfortable.

Both A900 and A99 have bit "strange" grips, but both are great.

But ofc, Im always happy when camera looks nice too.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:42 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


I handled the camera at PhotoPlus and I found that the camera with the grip handled and balanced quite well.

Rich



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:47 PM
uhoh7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


cputeq wrote:
That's really the first negative?

How about slow flash sync, no electronic first curtain, it's not free, no dual SD card slots, no IBIS, it'll be managed by Sony, my photos will still be average, no built-in flash, and it won't solve world issues

That said, I have to agree the grip is butt-ugly. Probably pretty comfortable, though.


First negative about the grip, I mean, haha

Rickuz wrote:
Do these people use their cameras as some kind of chick-magnets?

They use them instead of chicks.....

like that nikon DF guy



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Mescalamba wrote:
http://www.dxomark.com/About/In-depth-measurements/Measurements/Color-sensitivity

Simply called SMI. A7R result of 78/75 is a "meh". D800E has 77/74 (I guess these sensors are really very similar). And for example 1D-X has 73/74, which is a bit.. tragic. Especially compared to 1D/s MK3 .

Bottom is currently 6D with 69/70. Thats somewhere around "tragicomedy" level. Quite visible in all pics taken with it.

Obviously people dont have same vision of colors and some are more or less colorblind. Since most photographers are still men, which are even more colorblind, it doesnt matter that much as it could.

That said, SMI is directly tied to CFA used. Better you get,
...Show more

So, if we take the RX1 (84/81) and RX1r (79/75) example I cited, your conclusion is that these two cameras are using a completely different CFA which is why they differ? I suspect there is more to it, perhaps including the AA filter as well as software tuning. Anyway, I bet the A7 with it's AA filter will likely have a better measurement. Incidentally, the Leica M 240 only scores 75/71 but I really don't hear folks talking about how bad Leica color is. I suspect the delta has to be pretty large to really matter. Per DxO:
"In practice, the SMI for DSLRs ranges between 75 and 85, and is not very discriminating." Given the somewhat arbitrary nature of these scores you mentioned (and theSuede previously also mentioned), I don't think these scores really mean that much in practice.



Oct 31, 2013 at 05:57 PM
sebboh
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


Rickuz wrote:
Sad and ridiculous if it's the former. Do these people use their cameras as some kind of chick-magnets?


not effectively.



i'm curious though, is there a manufacturer that actually does make visually appealing grips? i sure haven't seen one. to be fair though, i think pretty much all cameras are objectively ugly.




Oct 31, 2013 at 06:00 PM
JonPB
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark


cputeq wrote:
my photos will still be average


Rickuz wrote:
cameras as some kind of chick-magnets


I guess I really need to start reading spec sheets for what they don't include. I'm stunned that those aren't included in the box.

I think I should start a meta-rumors site about what people will complain about next, for everyone who wants to be on the cutting edge of curmudgeonry.




Oct 31, 2013 at 06:03 PM
1
       2       3              7       8       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              7       8       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password