Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              140      
       142              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

nandadevieast
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.141 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Looks like Sony will have to do a A7rMII to treat sensor reflections.
However, a firm shutter may just require a firmware update.

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:52 PM
theophilus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.141 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
Actually... Since you phrase it like this, I would have to disagree. Clearly there is a dramatic flare problem with the FE35 at night with light sources near the edges or corners, which looks like coma from hell. I guess the cover glass package is just too thick. The same happens with my ZF 35/1.4, so the problem is in the camera.

Agreed it is in the camera, and it isn't just at night. I got some weird stuff with the Zuiko 21/3.5 and I thought it was the lens. I got a couple crazy examples out of the FE35. It honestly doesn't bother me, though if I wanted something technically better looking I'd probably photoshop the color cast out of the reflection.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:07 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.141 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FE35, bottom right ~20%

FE35, even the moon flared. cropped about 50% off the top:

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:13 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.141 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

What do you think the best way to mount polarizers on these FE lenses is?

For example the FE 35mm -- a 40.5mm polarizer on the end of the hood? Will that vignette?
Can you even fit the hood on the lens if you try to put a 49mm polarizer between the lens and the hood?

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.141 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ebrandon wrote:
I'll probably get flamed to hell for this, but I'm not bothered in the least by cameras having strengths & weaknesses and needing to use different cameras for different situations.

We don't expect the same car to be great on the racetrack and also for taking all the kids to soccer. We don't use the same plane for skydiving and crossing the oceans. We don't even eat the same foods for breakfast and dinner!

Why is it so unexpected that you'd use one camera for sports, another one for landscapes, another one at night, a different one when you want daylight fill
...Show more

I don't think you're far off, however right now my only two choices (unless I sell a bunch of lenses) are the A7s and the M240 :-)

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.141 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ebrandon wrote:
What do you think the best way to mount polarizers on these FE lenses is?

For example the FE 35mm -- a 40.5mm polarizer on the end of the hood? Will that vignette?
Can you even fit the hood on the lens if you try to put a 49mm polarizer between the lens and the hood?

You may be able to use the 40.5mm thread, but there will be severe vignetting if you put filter between lens and hood.

Don't know about the best, but I'm going to get 49mm polarizer because also FE55 uses this odd 49mm size. Even I don't like FE 35 bokeh, it will be great landscape lens and polarizer is must have accessory.

Getting 49mm polarizer might be more more difficult, since I don't want to get cheap bad quality filter and it seems there isn't one (says "not yet available") in Zeiss selection neither any locally sold higher quality brands. If I remember correctly there was only worst Hoya series available in 49mm size in local stores.

Also local stores here didn't have single or combination of step-up rings to get to 67mm filter size. I would need 67mm step-up ring in order to be able to use ND-filters, IR and other special filters, which I only have at two sizes (67mm and 82mm) into which I can step-up from any other lens than the 49mm filter thread ones.

Samuli

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:47 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.141 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ebrandon wrote:
I'll probably get flamed to hell for this, but I'm not bothered in the least by cameras having strengths & weaknesses and needing to use different cameras for different situations.

We don't expect the same car to be great on the racetrack and also for taking all the kids to soccer. We don't use the same plane for skydiving and crossing the oceans. We don't even eat the same foods for breakfast and dinner!

Why is it so unexpected that you'd use one camera for sports, another one for landscapes, another one at night, a different one when you want daylight fill
...Show more

exact the point! thus, list the limitation and scenario is good for broad of audience. Know your gear, know your need, know your expectation will lead to a happier customer.

A quick question: Do anybody know all in body correction for lens, Low light noise, distortion, CA record at Raw level or just JPEG?

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.141 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

From my Pentax days I don't recall any problems getting good 49mm B&W filters. Why is a 49mm lens odd?

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.141 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

zhangyue wrote:
A quick question: Do anybody know all in body correction for lens, Low light noise, distortion, CA record at Raw level or just JPEG?

Low light noise? THere is no such setting. Maybe you mean "Long Exposure NR"? - it affects to pixel values before either raw data converted to JPG or raw data saved to RAW-file. What value is used is also saved to EXIF.

distortion (="Distortion Comp.") - JPG only, but EXIF contains info in RAW file and your RAW converter may or may not use the info

CA (="Chro. Aber. Comp.") - JPG only, but EXIF contains info in RAW file and your RAW converter may or may not use the info

One setting similar what you asked is "Shading Comp.", and it also affects to raw values before either raw data converted to JPG or raw data saved to RAW-file. This also is informed in EXIF of the image.

Samuli

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.141 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Most E-mount lenses so far have used 49mm filters, they seem to be going to stick with that size for a while.

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.141 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jonas B wrote:
From my Pentax days I don't recall any problems getting good 49mm B&W filters. Why is a 49mm lens odd?

Odd maybe bad word but I could not find locally only the crappiest series Hoya on this size. Have to buy it from the internet instead locally. Also Zeiss has just added it to their selection.

Good B&W filters? Hopefully they also have crappy, medium and good filters - I have seen two different kind and they were crappy and medium "series" at best. But I have never really looked, those came with lenses I have purchased from eBay.

Samuli

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:20 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.141 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

B&W 49mm + cheap vented hoods you find on Amazon works fine on the FE 35mm. I just did a quick shot through my window, wide open with the B&W circular polarizer and it seems fine.

B&W filters not good enough? The FM Alt forum's demand for perfection is incredible. That said, I've never owned a Zeiss filter so I don't know what I might be missing. I only have B&W and Heliopan filters.

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:37 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.141 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Both my DP1M and DP2M take 49mm filters...I'm with Jonas B on this, I'm sure I have at least one or two B&W filters in that size.

-Tim

Jonas B wrote:

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:39 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.141 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sflxn wrote:
B&W 49mm + cheap vented hoods you find on Amazon works fine on the FE 35mm. I just did a quick shot through my window, wide open with the B&W circular polarizer and it seems fine.

B&W filters not good enough? The FM Alt forum's demand for perfection is incredible. That said, I've never owned a Zeiss filter so I don't know what I might be missing. I only have B&W and Heliopan filters.

I too normally use B+W or Heliopan filters. Like Zeiss filters they all use Schott (Zeiss) glass. Both B+W and Helipan offer different levels of filters based upon coatings, multi-coatings, WA, etc. Both have stepped up their offerings and coatings over the years.

In addition to B+W and Heliopan filters which I normally use for UV filters I also use Sing-Ray filters in both Glass and Resin for most other filters though I also use some Lee Resin Filters.

Rich

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:49 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.141 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

naturephoto1 wrote:
I too normally use B+W or Heliopan filters. Like Zeiss filters they all use Schott (Zeiss) glass. Both B+W and Helipan offer different levels of filters based upon coatings, multi-coatings, WA, etc. Both have stepped up their offerings and coatings over the years.

In addition to B+W and Heliopan filters which I normally use for UV filters I also use Sing-Ray filters in both Glass and Resin for most other filters though I also use some Lee Resin Filters.

Rich

I almost never use filters. I'll use a polarizer when it calls for one, but in general, I think putting cheap protective filters on expensive lenses makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe that's why I haven't mind B&W. If there really is a difference, I would love someone posting examples of the difference between a B&W and Zeiss filter. If there really is a difference, I'll replace my set. I always assumed Schneider Optics, who owns B&W, wouldn't give us bad filters.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.141 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sflxn wrote:
B&W filters not good enough? The FM Alt forum's demand for perfection is incredible.

Like said they came with eBay lenses. They were mediocre at best. I don't know from which decade they were etc. I didn't say they are not good enough, it's purely your invention.

I have never purchased any B&W filters myself, mainly because haven't ever seen any (except when visiting B&H in New York).

Samuli

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.141 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Low light noise? THere is no such setting. Maybe you mean "Long Exposure NR"? - it affects to pixel values before either raw data converted to JPG or raw data saved to RAW-file. What value is used is also saved to EXIF.

distortion (="Distortion Comp.") - JPG only, but EXIF contains info in RAW file and your RAW converter may or may not use the info

CA (="Chro. Aber. Comp.") - JPG only, but EXIF contains info in RAW file and your RAW converter may or may not use the info

One setting similar what you asked is "Shading Comp.", and it
...Show more

Thanks for the answer. Yeh, I meant NR. What is the general recommendation to treat those setting affect RAW value. For both Native lens and adapted Lens?

I turned them off right now.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
scott bye

p.141 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Did anyone try the A7r with a Canon 17-40 or similar for Astro photography and like the results?

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.141 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I like these Gariz cases usually, have one for RX1, but this one has the tripod mount in the wrong place, but shown here for information:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gariz-XS-CHA7BK-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Half-Case-Black-for-Sony-A7-A7R-/261355619759?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item3cda0245af

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Blimey
• •
p.141 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lee Filter Seven5 is what I plan on using. I just ordered the 49mm adapter for the FE lense. It is an expensive setup but it will last you a long time even when you change camera/lense.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password