FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2004 · "Sleeper" EOS Lenses

daverk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · "Sleeper" EOS Lenses

Considering the 50mm f/1.8 as a sleeper lens, here's a link to a lovely set of photos taken with this lens on a 300D:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/123597/0

Bone-simple setup, available light, an attractive model, excellent results. It ain't about the gear...you can't buy what this guy's got.

-Dave-

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:42 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · "Sleeper" EOS Lenses

Tommy Lee wrote:
Tamron 28-75/f2.8
Limitation: #1. Stay away from f2.8 from 55-75mm (when contrast are high). #2. Do custom white balance when light is low (or prepare to do them post process)

I have one on my assistants 10D at the moment and the quality is near or as good as the canon L 24-70/2.8 IMHO. You will need a good copy as their QC dept. is a little soft in catching the bad ones (about 1 in avery 100).

The other one to consider is the 70-200/4L. Excellent glass and can be found for about $500 +/-.

Regards.

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:56 PM
zuffy
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · "Sleeper" EOS Lenses

If the new 17-85 IS has a 3-stop IS, how many does the 28-135 IS have?

Aug 24, 2004 at 01:39 PM
rudiger
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · "Sleeper" EOS Lenses

Wiseman wrote:
Why would people still recommend 28-135 IS? If he gets 20D, he should get 17-85 IS. It is 60g lighter, more usable range and 3-stop IS. Based on the MTF chart, it is at least as good as 28-135 IS

Lack of experience with this lens and the EF-S mount...
The 17-85 IS may turn out to be the best consumer grade lens in the Canon EF line-up but it's still too new to tell. A LOT of people have used the 28-135 IS and have loved it, fewer have used the 17-85 IS (loved it or not)

I think a lot of people are going to be on the fence about the EF-S mount for a while. If you own any of the EOS film bodies or plan to own a 1 series EOS body then you can't use the EF-S mount. Sticking to the EF mount keeps the compatibility there.
I'm not saying that EF-S is bad, just that there is a downside...

Aug 24, 2004 at 01:54 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.