New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

Just got my 1DX back from Canon for the recent product advisory. Service details say the mirror box was replaced. It's missing the black mark in the battery compartment on the metal guide. Isn't that suppose to be a telltale that the body has been repaired?

I'm going to begin testing it but just wondered if anyone else was missing that mark after it came back from being repaired.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Todd Ryburn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

Interesting. I just sent mine for the same thing. How quick was the turn around?

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:56 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

I sent it out on 8/6 and got it back today so about 8 days for me. I live in NH and the pre-paid label sent it to VA. So far in my testing everything seems to be ok. I'll know more this weekend as I will be taking photos of my step daughter in an equestrian show.

Hopefully you saved your settings to a file. Camera was wiped to default so I restored from a CF card.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

Why don't you ask Canon why the mirror box was replaced? The service advisory stated it was only to add lubrication.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:21 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

I recall a black mark or a white mark. I bought my 1D X a few weeks ago, new and it has a white mark, like an "A", but mine isn't really clear unless you're looking for an A. That A is in a slightly different place.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

When the mirror box was replaced, it was not just the normal product advisory Canon did.

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:00 AM
ChrisHA
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

No marks on mine either.
Irving rec'd my 1Dx on a Thur and I got it back the next day (CPS Gold)
I requested the recall fix, a clean/check, and focus point calibration.
My sensor came back clean (whew) and 99% of my settings were as is.
My only concern was that the repair report was vague. So, I talked to a supervisor who reviewed the technician's internal report (adjustments were made but nothing serious). He mentioned that they no longer give out detail.

Chris

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:36 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

I'm going to talk with them today. I was just curious if anyone else had seen a mirror box replacement in the service details. They mentioned it was "causing the image to be blurred after some time". They also mentioned the 81K shutter count so perhaps with that kind of use the lack of lubrication did some damage. We'll see what they say.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

Mine has no "post-service" marks. It was serviced in mid-June by CPS Canada. The Work Order says "Applied countermeasure, cleaned CMOS and updated firmware".

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:20 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

We sent in 2 1DX’s for the service recall back in July between trips. Both had a day turn around and had been black marked in the battery slot. Asked for both to have the updated firmware installed.

Went on second trip and one we noticed one was having a problem auto focusing and getting clean images. We noticed looking at the mirror there was a oil smudge on the lower section that the auto focus looks through. We cleaned the mirror the best we could and auto focus was better and images were better.

Sent it back to Canon to have the mirror cleaned, check sensor and perform checks on all functions. I also mentioned about the smudge and slow auto focus. I checked on the repair status and it is being held for further testing. A message was sent to further explain. Reply was waiting on parts for mirror box assembly.

Curious as to what they found because the second body is one serial number difference and is used similarly. I almost feel like shipping the second 1Dx just to see if it has the same issues.

Based on Gregory experience are there other 1Dx’s mirror box being worked on?

Maybe the higher shutter count ones that are getting the lube may have been too late and suffering?

Should low shutter count 1Dx’s get the lube to prevent later service of the mirror box assembly?

Just throwing out thoughts here without actual research.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

My first 1Dx came back without the mark; in the rush to do overnight turnaround, they had forgotten to put it on. However, it ended up having to go back again, as it was unable to track lateral motion. That time they replaced the mirror box. Oh, and also put the mark on it.

The missing mark was just an oversight. I wasn't terribly concerned since I had the paperwork showing it had been serviced. OTOH, the inability to track lateral motion was a serious issue.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX Returns From Canon Service

Got the 1Dx back this morning. Mirror looks clean. Will have to check it out this weekend. But here is what the paper work showed.

Description of problem/symptoms:
Autofocus is slow. Images are not sharp. Oil smudge on mirror. Check and clean all functions, repair to good working order. No response is necessary.

Service details:
Your product has been examined and it was found that the mirror box was causing the image to be blurred after some time. The mirror box assembly has been replaced and product functions were confirmed

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.