New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

I used this option, it took some patience to get things going but I think this is one of the best prices on a new canon 500 f4 IS II.

https://www.cameracanada.com/ seems to have the best price: $8799 Candian. If you talk with Joe on the phone nicely, he *may* be able to knock another $50 off. FM members from Canada confirmed that camera canada folks are legit. Using a CC protected me further just in case there was to be an issue. PMI Digital was cheapest Auth dealer in US and over the phone the lowest price they would offer was $9999 USD.

Current exchange rate is .95 candian $ = 1 USD
Shipping was $250 to Texas
Duty is expected to be $200
1% Credit card back : $85
Credit card bonus ( YMMY) : plug in a number if you qualify
Net cost delivered: $8781 - any credit card bonuses / cashback

Credit card fees were avoided by using a business card that does not have cc fees (chase ink ). If you pay using paypal direct transfer, paypal does not charge intl fees. Using the CC I get 1% back and since this is a new account I was able to get a account bonus. Current bonus scheme is 50000 points, that is equivalanet of at least $500. https://www.chase.com/online/business-credit-cards/ink-plus.htm . This was the cheapest credit card with no intl fees that I am aware of. (First year there is no cc fee, second year onwards it is $95/year). This is a business card, YMMY.

Folks @ camera canada were very helpful (Joe for buying it and Eric for shipping). I am expecting my lens sometime next week. The current price is for in stock items only but If you call you should be able to lock in the price while you get the logistics worked out.

Hope this helps someone else lighten their wallet.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:05 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Aden Camera in Toronto Canada has this lens for $8785.00(cdn). Aden is an authorized Canon dealer as is Camera Canada. I can certainly vouch for Aden as I have purchased many Canon products from them.

Good luck with your new 500mm.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:13 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Congratulations, Aditya........you shall have lottsa fun with 500 II. What remains to be acquired are the accessories. Here are my suggested favourites....no point in fooling around with the second best ones, after you've spent that much money on the lens :

(1) 1.4XTC MkIII and 2xTC MkIII (if you do not own them already)
(2) Jobu Design's replacement foot for 500 II. (link)
(3) Don Zeck's cap for Canon 500.(link)
(4) Tenba LL400 bag. (link)
(5) Nikon pre-moistened lens cleaning tissues. (link)

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:03 PM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

I used cameracanada to procure my 600 and recommend them as well....joe is a good joe!

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:22 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

I'm surprised that more people in the US haven't taken advantage of the much lower CDN prices on the supertelephoto lenses. I know a few people on these forums have done it and have reported saving a lot even after shipping costs.

CameraCanada is a great store. When the 5D3 was first released and very hard to get they actually matched the B&H price for me even though B&H didn't have it in stock and the regular CDN price was significantly higher. Highly recommend them whether you are in the US or Canada.

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:40 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Thank you Peter for your help in getting me to the decision. I am sure it will get very much used and will motivate me to shoot more. 1.4x III and lenscoat has been ordered, I already have the 2xIII. I have a kimbuko 22l+ that is rated to be good for 500, do you think that would do for the 500? I think I would need to detach the lens from camera though. Going to order the pre-moistened pads now and Jobu foot and Don Zeck have been added to the bucket list.

PetKal wrote:
Congratulations, Aditya........you shall have lottsa fun with 500 II. What remains to be acquired are the accessories. Here are my suggested favourites....no point in fooling around with the second best ones, after you've spent that much money on the lens :

(1) 1.4XTC MkIII and 2xTC MkIII (if you do not own them already)
(2) Jobu Design's replacement foot for 500 II. (link)
(3) Don Zeck's cap for Canon 500.(link)
(4) Tenba LL400 bag. (link)
(5) Nikon pre-moistened lens cleaning tissues. (link)

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

thedutt wrote:
I have a kimbuko 22l+ that is rated to be good for 500, do you think that would do for the 500? I think I would need to detach the lens from camera though.

Aditya, I am not familiar with that kimbuko bag, but I am assuming it is a backpack. It is probably suitable for long hikes with the 500, or for airline travel.

The Tenba bag is ideal for shorter walks and car trips. Moreover, at home, I store my 500 in a Tenba bag too.

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:13 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Any issues since it doesn't have a USA warranty, will Canon USA service it? I've only purchased one imported lens (imported, but bought in the USA) 10-12 years ago but never had it serviced.

Wes N.

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Rich Phalin

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

I bought mine from Canada and Canon USA will sevice it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:33 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

I bought mine from Canada and Canon USA will sevice it.

Thanks Rich. I've heard conflicting things on this.

Wes N.

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

WesN wrote:
Any issues since it doesn't have a USA warranty, will Canon USA service it? I've only purchased one imported lens (imported, but bought in the USA) 10-12 years ago but never had it serviced.

Wes N.

This could be a bit of a semantic issue, but I believe there is no such thing as "US warranty" alone. All gear I've purchased either from Canada or the States came with the same "Canon USA Inc. & Canon Canada Inc." warranty. One and the same warranty document.

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:45 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Canon lenses purchased from an authorized Canon dealer in Canada are not considered "imported" or grey market. Canon lenses purchased from Canada do not come from Europe or Asia. Canon Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon USA.

Jun 29, 2013 at 07:01 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

States came with the same "Canon USA Inc. & Canon Canada Inc." warranty

Peter - you are right. I just checked on of my lens warranty cards and it said "USA and Canada" on it. Never noticed this before.

Wes N.

Jun 29, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Peter,

Are you seriously advocating buying a N!&@n product Wipes or otherwise, consorting with the enemy? ;-)

Bob

Jun 29, 2013 at 09:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Hi Aditya,

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Bob, the brand matters not to me as long as the quality is there. I wish I could use Nikon camera bodies with my Canon lenses.
D800 + 800L or 400 f/2.8 IS II would make an awesome pair.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Yea Pete as long as you are shooting a stationary hi contrast target and it sits on the right side of the frame!

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
nwlight

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

Can anyone explain why the prices for the 500 f4 II are so much cheaper in Canada? I am thinking about buying this lens next year, but am worried that this deal will be gone by then. If I can save $1500 by buying now, I can almost tell my wife with a straight face that we would be saving money.

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:30 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

I checked with Henry Posner of BH. I informed him of the price difference. He had no explanation.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:02 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best price on 500 f4 IS II

thedutt wrote:
I used this option, it took some patience to get things going but I think this is one of the best prices on a new canon 500 f4 IS II.

https://www.cameracanada.com/ seems to have the best price: $8799 Candian. If you talk with Joe on the phone nicely, he *may* be able to knock another $50 off. FM members from Canada confirmed that camera canada folks are legit. Using a CC protected me further just in case there was to be an issue. PMI Digital was cheapest Auth dealer in US and over the phone the lowest price they would offer
...Show more

Did your lens arrive? I might be next....

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.