Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Alan Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

My wife and I are planning a 9 day trip to Baniff/LakeLouise/Jasper area in September. Any advice/suggestions from those that have visited/phographed that area?

Alan

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Lots of good info on the internet. Start with the Parks Canada web sites for each park. http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx

Many beautiful lakes, hikes, waterfalls and some wildlife. Most lakes are best early morning. Google will help you find the best ones for you, but Peyto, Moraine, Herbert and Bow are some of my favorites. You'll see a lot just driving the Icefields Parkway. I usually drive to Jasper first, then return to Banff after a few days. Don't overlook Kananaskis Country, if you have time.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Darwin Wigget's ebooks are good (http://www.darwinwiggett.com/ebooks/) and if you want more detailed information around specific hikes or whatever just contact me. September's the best time to visit the Rockies by far.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.1 #4 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Vern & Stan

Thanks for the ideas, we will check out the park web sites and I will be ordering several of the ebooks, they look great.

Alan

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:50 PM
jbeckmn

p.1 #5 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Consider Wilcox Pass trail. It's on the Icefields Parkway just east (and with views of) the Columbia Icefields. Lots of bighorn sheep. Fairly easy hike with lovely views.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joezasada
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Lots of good areas in the parks. You also might want to check out some of the areas around Canmore, Kananaskis provincial park, or the Crowsnest Pass area that's a few hours to the south as they have lots of great history (including the Frank Slide). Also across on the British Columbia side there are lots of great areas there too.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM
jbeckmn

p.1 #7 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Also in Jasper, i enjoyed the Edith Cavell Trail and Angel Glacier.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.1 #8 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Sounds like a lot of great ideas. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Alan

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:56 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Ideas for Canadian Rockies Trip?

Vern Dewit wrote:
Darwin Wigget's ebooks are good (http://www.darwinwiggett.com/ebooks/) and if you want more detailed information around specific hikes or whatever just contact me. September's the best time to visit the Rockies by far.

________

His books are all over the place in bookstores. The best advice I can give is to stop at the Visitor's InformationCenter on Banff Avenue in Banff and get all the maps and brochures you can. One very useful map is the Icefield Parkway map which shows places of interest on the map.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password