Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

pinball_pw
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

I thought I would try something a little different. I would like to hear your thoughts on this B+W of tunnel view in Yosemite. Updates/reworks great to post as long as you tell me what you did. Thank you! - Paul

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    47mm    f/13.0    1/8s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Overall I dig it. Would like to see a little more detail in the shadows on the sides.

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:14 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Thanks; I will take a shot at that.

I was playing with a gold-n-blue polarizer and regular polarizer to see if it might have an impact on the black and white images. Just fun to expirement.

Paul

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:10 PM
weissj
• • •
p.1 #4 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Tack sharp image, and the fog along the ground really draws the eye down into the valley. I agree that the shadows on either side are a little too overbearing.

Really great shot, especially as an experiment.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

+1 @ others ... might like to have seen a bit more contrast (different version @ natural or other polarizer maybe) @ clouds to help frame the tunnel above half dome a bit more. Not as contrasty as the foreground, but something slightly more than shown to provide a distinction of where sky starts.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Be wary of the slight halo in the upper right on the mountain/sky boundary. Possibly a sharpening artifact.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

It is a nice shot compositionally but a single digital capture can't match the dynamic range and magic the same scene captured on B&W film. The scene range exceeds camera range and the only way to get around that limitation is bracketed HDR exposure blended together.

It's the type of scene were just shooting twice on a tripod with one exposure for highlights just under clipping and another shot with a shutter speed 3-4 stops slower could be manually blended with mask on the longer exposure to reveal the shadow detail that is missing from the first due to the more limited range of the camera.

With the single exposure you might go back to the RAW file and make two copies and manipulate the contrast in one the similarly to pull more shadow detail out then blend the same way selectively. But unlike the longer camera exposure you'll wind up just amplifying the noise in the darkest areas. But a B&W conversion will minimize how distracting that becomes.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Wonderful image, magnificent scene!

Maybe some dodge & burn to knock back the blocked up areas plus recover some detail? Finish with slight vignette?

If you object I will pull the rework,

Regards,

Bob

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Thank you Weissj. I appreciate the comments. I agree on the shadows. It is good to hear similair feedback from several of you as it helps reinforce it.

RustyBug, Some good advice there. I do need to see how I can better distinguish half dome from the sky. This is one of many shots from this spot, so I should have others that may work better.

Karen, Thanks on the halo tip. It is a downsize, USM issue.

Chuck, You are spot on the dynamic range part. I have a couple panos that I shot with multiple stops. I haven't pulled those in to see how they came out yet. I stopped here a couple times, I don't remember if I did that when the environs came together like this or not.

Bob, thank you for showing your rework. It helps show what the others are talking about as well. I appreciate that you explained your changes as well.

Thank you all. I really appreciate the critiques. I have a lot of images from this spot. I will probably post a couple more as time permits and see what you guys think.

Cheers - Paul

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
ripkoken
• •
p.1 #10 · Yosemite - Tunnel View

Is it just as beautiful in color?

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password