Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Newbie to Zion: few questions

Todd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

Hey guys.... Few questions.

Me and my wife are planning a trip to Zion national park in September and I was wanting to know how those of you handled the trails with your gear. Did you use a backpack camera bag, or a shoulder bag, or a waist belt with lens & camera pouches. I am curious because I will need to carry water and food with me.

I have a D800 & D800e and I plant to take those with 5 lenses. The largest lens is my 70-200 f/2.8 VR II. What is the best way to handle the ups and downs of Zion? If I use my backpack then I will not have room for a camelback water supply, if I use my LowePro belt and lens/camera pouches, I'll have room for water. I know some hikes are a 8 mile round trip.... So my question is, what did you carry and how.? I realize traveling light is the best way, but I want all of my gear with me and my Gitzo carbon tripod.

Any suggestions will be helpful...

Todd

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

Two camera bodies, five lenses, and a tripod and assorted accessories is way, way more than I would carry. Do you really need two bodies? I never hike with more than one. The most I would carry for lenses is one on the camera and two additional lenses. I carry the camera in a small shoulder bag. The extra lenses are in pouches on a web belt. I also have a travel tripod that folds to a total length of 15" and weighs 3#. It also is clipped on to the belt and hangs at the side of my leg. The belt keeps the weight on my hips. I can also access the lenses almost instantly and can change lenses while I am walking. For hikes of only a few hours, I would take one or two 1 L water bottles. No surprise -- they hang from the belt. For all day hiking I have a camelback. My biggest issue is toting a telephoto lens. I rarely tote my 100-400. I have a much smaller and lighter telephoto for hiking. My other extra lens is an ultrawide and on the camera I carry a medium zoom.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:46 AM
kylebarendrick
• •
p.1 #3 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

I've been using a Mountainsmith Borealis for travel and day trips. I have no problem putting a body and 3-5 lenses (depending on the sizes) in the camera area. It has a tripod holder and two other compartments for other accessories, a larger lens, food, or light shell. I put my hydration bladder in the laptop compartment when I'm hiking.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:03 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

I'm a big fan of using backpacks when hiking. I prefer when my gear is stored away when hiking in case I slip and fall (it happens!) I find it's easier to skip the camelbak and just get some 1 liter Nalgene water bottles. Whether I'm backpacking, or day hiking, I hook a carabiner to the loop that holds the cap of the bottle captive, then hook the carabiner to the shoulder strap of my backpack. It will dangle at your side right along your hip. Though many people love camelbaks, I like to use bottles because I know how much is there, and there is no chance of a leak ever soaking my camera gear. There are a ton of different ways to carry water and gear while hiking, but this is just what I've found works for me.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:26 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

There is a lot of hiking in Zion and some scrambling. You definitely want a backpack.

I use a Osprey 58L pack and just put my camera and lenses in pouches and a small shoulder bag inside the backpack. (I use Kinesis pouches and their shoulder bag, very compact and light, not too much foam)

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #6 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

Todd wrote:
Me and my wife are planning a trip .... I will need to carry water and food with me.

...and what's your wife carrying?

Seriously...backpack of course, two bodies (one in the backpack), never more than 4 lenses: 100-400 or 70-200, 16-35 or 24 TS, 100 macro, 24-70 (usually mounted on the outside camera clipped to the backpack harness with a carabiner) Lee filter system (in a belt pouch), various doo-dads in the backpack (spare cards, batteries, cable release, plastic bags, Seal-Line water proof duffel type bag that the whole backpack fits into, and tripod.

And my wife carries the water and other victuals in her backpack.

On my first trip to Zion I walked around for a few hours with two cameras around my neck...until I realized I must've looked like a complete dork.

Have a great trip, but remember to check out other, less traveled parts of Zion and surroundings.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #7 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

Chris Tylko wrote:
...and what's your wife carrying?

Seriously...backpack of course, two bodies (one in the backpack), never more than 4 lenses: 100-400 or 70-200, 16-35 or 24 TS, 100 macro, 24-70 (usually mounted on the outside camera clipped to the backpack harness with a carabiner) Lee filter system (in a belt pouch), various doo-dads in the backpack (spare cards, batteries, cable release, plastic bags, Seal-Line water proof duffel type bag that the whole backpack fits into, and tripod.

And my wife carries the water and other victuals in her backpack.

On my first trip to Zion I walked around for a few
...Show more

Great tips, thanks!! I Sure will look for the less traveled areas to get away from the public. Thanks...

Todd

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #8 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

Sneakyracer wrote:
There is a lot of hiking in Zion and some scrambling. You definitely want a backpack.

I use a Osprey 58L pack and just put my camera and lenses in pouches and a small shoulder bag inside the backpack. (I use Kinesis pouches and their shoulder bag, very compact and light, not too much foam)

I see. I was talking about a camera backpack though, not a hiking backpack. I don't need one of those big REI style backpacks. I was just curious how you photographers carried your camera gear. We will be camping in the watchman campground and hiking to take photos and coming back to the tent. I think observation point is the longest hike, around 6-8 miles round trip. Thanks for the tips...

Todd

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #9 · Newbie to Zion: few questions

Ben Horne wrote:
I'm a big fan of using backpacks when hiking. I prefer when my gear is stored away when hiking in case I slip and fall (it happens!) I find it's easier to skip the camelbak and just get some 1 liter Nalgene water bottles. Whether I'm backpacking, or day hiking, I hook a carabiner to the loop that holds the cap of the bottle captive, then hook the carabiner to the shoulder strap of my backpack. It will dangle at your side right along your hip. Though many people love camelbaks, I like to use bottles because I know
...Show more

Well those aren't the backpacks I was referring to... I was wanting to know if I should carry my camera gear in a Tamrac or LowePro photo backpack VS a shoulder bag or waist pack. I know that the backpacks you have photos of on your hike are great, but I won't need those. I just was wondering how those of you photographers carried your camera gear in a way that offered less fatigue on your body. I was thinking of a shoulder bag but I think that would end up hurting me over an 8 mile hike. So I think I will use my Tamrac photo backpack for the trip.

Thanks for your reply...

Todd

Jun 18, 2013 at 04:03 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password