Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Tim Knutson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

I don't.

Now, I consider my self pretty average. Way too much money tied up in camera gear, for a hobby. I like to think I'm a landscaper. But, in reality, I'll harass a hummingbird if I get a chance, or go shoot an airshow, actually anything interesting as an excuse to get out and shoot something. In actuality I'm pretty much all over the place. I'm never happy with anything I do. I always think, If only I had that gizmo, or that other lens that those other guys use.

So, that said. Now that I'm outed. If your in the same boat as me, here's something that you ought to do. Go to Ben Egberts website and just poke around. http://ben-egbert-photo.com/

Now, there is no magic bullet there. But, this guy knows what his "thing" is, I personally find it refreshing. And, he has done a pretty nice job of putting it all down in black and white, to share with the world. It just might help you sort out your thing.

Has it helped me? Hello? I'm thinking I'm pretty much hopeless.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Not sure if you know but Ben is a regular poster here in the Landscape forum.

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #3 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Yes I do, I've seen his posts often. But, just ran across his site yesterday.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:13 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Thanks for the plug to my blog. I don't get a lot of feedback and don't do much to promote it.

As stated, I consider myself a travel photographer whose main interest is in the western parks and Icons and I have put info on how and when to get to these places. There are better sources but sometimes the books leave stuff out.

My guides are to well known and much traveled places, I am pretty sure that I have not included any threatened or delicate sites.

The blog also allows me to blow off steam.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:46 AM
ScottHM
• • •
p.1 #5 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

It's a good blog Ben...it's just a shame (or is it) that there are so many good ones out there it's hard to keep up with them all...
I do know my thing though, it's a Wildlife, landscape, portrait, sports, journalist and sometimes small product guy
Actually my time doing any type of journalism is long past, and I'd say my main interest these days falls squarely in Landscape and Wildlife photography...but from time to time will delve into other ventures and as the weather here in winter generally is garbage I am rebuilding a studio space.
I guess basically I'm saying I like photography, like to explore and don't really box myself in.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:38 AM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #6 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

I'll second you on the gear thing, Tim. I don't beat myself up too much for this because I enjoy the design/craftsmanship of good gear in its own right, but I definitely think there are more productive (and less financially draining) things to think about.

As far as me knowing what it is that I do as a photographer, or who I am as a photographer stylistically, I don't. I just need to shoot tons more, I guess.... I struggle to be motivated here in south-central Nebraska. But perhaps I'm just making excuses.

I'll be reading some of the essays on this blog for the next few days. Lots of intriguing titles. I like your that you're very unapologetic about what interests you, Ben. I could stand to learn a lesson from that school of thought... I read your post "I like it, nothing more is required," and in the 1 to 5 scale you describe in your post, I think I spend 95% of my time thinking and behaving like #2. If I've not shot in a while, I WANT so badly to like an image I've just made; especially if it comes from a location that I've seen fantastic images from before, but so often I come away a little bit disappointed, and it usually takes a couple weeks for me to realize/accept that.

Jun 16, 2013 at 07:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Ben, I spent an hour on your site very early this morning and found myself thoroughly enjoying the time and agreeing with most of the logic presented. It's a great site for sure! Now I stumble across this thread...small world I guess.

Having "capable" gear is important especially if there is a specific requirement. My main two focuses (there are plenty others I dabble in) are soccer photography and to a lesser extent landscape, which will now begin to increase given my recent retirement. The soccer side has pushed me into the gear side the furthest, ie fast glass and high fps bodies. Landscape, I'm a bit more laid back but what becomes important to me (when I rarely get a good frame) is to have glass that provides sharpness in the corners and a rig with sufficient resolution to allow for PP and printing somewhat large. The rest is really the pleb behind the button and being where you want to be at the right time. This is the part where I must spend more time concentrating.

BTW Ben, enjoyed your blog entry regarding capability of the 5DIII and moonlight captures.

Regards,
Matt

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Thanks all for reading my stuff, it helps me feel; better about the time I have spent on it.

I re-read one of my posts about how I take a landscape. Wow, I wrote it when I was using a 1DS-mk3 and MF primes. Now that I have capable zooms and a 5dm3, I have a whole different methodology for the capture and the zooms even allow more flexibility for composition. I need to rewrite that article. But it was valid for that gear.

It says a lot about how gear improvements open up new possibilities. The high ISO capabilities of the newer cameras have also made possible a whole new area of night photography.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Neat post, Tim. I think it's an important bit of self-awareness to have, as a photographer, and one I try to force myself to think about, too. I have been blessed with GBSI (gear buying syndrome immunity)... I rarely follow gear developments at all, have no desire to upgrade or blame things on my gear. I truly mean I've been blessed, because I am indeed that way for other aspects of life, haha, and by sheer luck it doesn't apply to photography.

But I guess my point is that that doesn't necessarily correspond to knowing what one's "thing" is. You can be always searching for new gear, and still have a very coherent, individual style.... or vice versa. Some days I think I have a coherent style that others could recognize (I'm more drawn to a few large shapes, one or two defining lines, and a natural amount of empty space than I am to many small shapes, texture, details, and color), but other days I'm 100% sure that I'm in no way different than everyone else who points their camera at landscapes. I think if anyone thinks about it too much though, they'll go insane and never be happy about anything they create, which in and of itself can be detrimental to developing a style. I think, at least for me, it's more healthy to just go out and shoot... get the blood flowing and mind wandering... and then every few months sit down with your own photos, decide which of your own photos are most pleasing to you, and try to figure out what they have in common. It's less sanity-shattering than trying to do so with any individual photo.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #10 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Ben,
As you know I greatly admire your style and appreciate what I have learned from you. It is great to see that you are getting some recognition for your efforts.

You warned me that a personal webpage was not likely to have much traffic. Now that I have had mine up for a couple of months I can certainly confirm your point. Mine is just a photo gallery. Yours has involved a lot of work and again I am really happy to see the positive comments. I will try to remember to visit your site on a more regular basis and leave some additional comments.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Do you know what your "thing" is?

Camperjim wrote:
Ben,
As you know I greatly admire your style and appreciate what I have learned from you. It is great to see that you are getting some recognition for your efforts.

You warned me that a personal webpage was not likely to have much traffic. Now that I have had mine up for a couple of months I can certainly confirm your point. Mine is just a photo gallery. Yours has involved a lot of work and again I am really happy to see the positive comments. I will try to remember to visit your site on a more regular
...Show more

Thanks Jim, you have been very supportive.

Jun 16, 2013 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password