Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Short and long

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Short and long

This is a good example of a short versus a long lens at the same place.

The long lens isolates the big mountain at the back. But this would need some low power binoculars to match what is seen when standing there.

The wide angle shot is pretty much what I see in person. But the fine detail that makes it my favorite on a 26 inch monitor is lost at web size. This is the one I would print, but it does not show well.

long

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    70mm    f/8.0    1/15s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

short

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    1/15s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:00 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Short and long

Love that first one, Ben.

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · Short and long

Do the excellent ripples in #1 show in #2 at full size? The comp on #2 is more complex and pleasing, but those ripples...

Tim

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Short and long

stanparker wrote:
Love that first one, Ben.

Thanks Stan. This is a 2-3 week a year opportunity. A week earlier and the road is still closed and by now the water level is too low and the snow is not as good.

I have searched for a less centered comp, I have gotten low, no way to get high but it hardly matters anyway. I just have to plan on a crop.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:33 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Short and long

Timmeh wrote:
Do the excellent ripples in #1 show in #2 at full size? The comp on #2 is more complex and pleasing, but those ripples...

Tim

They are there but you will never see them, the wide is 14mm. My wife prefers the 70mm shot too. I am just a wide angle lover.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Short and long

Another vote for #1 and the ripples. Great views!

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Short and long

Nice imaging, Ben. I like both. What lenses are you referring to?

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Short and long

Jeffrey wrote:
Nice imaging, Ben. I like both. What lenses are you referring to?

Thanks Jeffrey.

The long one is a 24-70 f2.8 mk2 at 70mm. The short one is a Samyang 14, which does not show up in EXIF. I took some with my 16-35 at 16 but it was not wide enough. I would love a Canon 14-24.

I also took some at intermediate focal lengths, but this scene either calls for just the large mountain in the background (Timpanogos) or an entire view of the lake with the emerging aspen reflections included.

The good alpineglow was fading as I got around to mounting the 14.

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:02 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #9 · Short and long

A great comparison Ben...I think at this size I prefer #1too...love that reflection!
cheers Andrew

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Short and long

#1. :-)

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Short and long

a couple of nice ones Ben.. #1 for me also

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Short and long

Thanks all, I could have predicted the first would be favored. Even if you could see them both full size, but the UWA would be closer I think.

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:00 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #13 · Short and long

I would print them both!

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Short and long

Ben, When you said long I was thinking 300 - 400mm. I love the long lenses, 70 is mid to short for me. That said, I prefer the 14 on this one, I am a reflection nut and the leading reflections into the mountain are sweet on that shot. #2 for me. Rick

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Short and long

Rick Schump wrote:
Ben, When you said long I was thinking 300 - 400mm. I love the long lenses, 70 is mid to short for me. That said, I prefer the 14 on this one, I am a reflection nut and the leading reflections into the mountain are sweet on that shot. #2 for me. Rick

Thanks for the vote on 2. I sold a 500 last year because I don't have as much chance for birds as I did when I lived in Spokane. For landscapes, 70 is long. Today I went out for a hike and left the 70-200 at home and just carried a 14, 16-35, and 24-70. I could have left the 14 and 16-35 home as well as it turns out.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Short and long

There are elements of #2 that I really like, I am an UWA fan...but there is such a clear subject, with great light and textures in #1 that makes it stand out for me.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:42 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Short and long

I think it's not short vs long, it's just a composition with long is more interesting. There are nice strong lines in a second composition that can be emphasized by cropping foreground off.

Sasha.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Short and long

I really like the compression of the first shot, and those wonderful foreground reflections. This photo really gives a very soothing feeling, and the soft gradient in the sky adds to that.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:34 AM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #19 · Short and long

Love the second shot!

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Short and long

Really nice shots!

yea, the jpg downres for posting here really killed them. There seems to be a huge disparity between a lot of the jpg's posted in this and other forums.

I seem to have the best results using lightroom export and the following settings.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password