Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Crossczechfoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

So I am seeing that this finally is out and I am seeing several birding people using it.

But I am trying to figure out if anyone has been using it for any sports shooting and if so what have they shot and also what gear they are using also.

I am considering it now that my big 600mm had taken a dump into the digger and I don't really think I need that long.

Ross

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I have the original and Sigma is supposed to be sending me the new one with the USB dongle thingy to review for them, but who knows when I will see it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Sent a PM to you.

Ross

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:57 AM
RobertCB
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I would also be really interested in how this lens sports shooting performance is and if the docking station is really a valuable addition or a gimmick when it comes to reliable focus with canon cameras.

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I have to be honest. If you have the time are are really meticulous I think the USB (especially for the price) is a really good deal.

Yes you have specific setups for each zone and range depending on a zoom lens what you are wanting to get and I like that.

The only problem I have is this.

Does it overrule if you do MF adjustments "in" camera?

What if I already have the lens set to say a -10 does it then push it back to 0 and then the adjustment on the dock overrules the MF adjust done in the camera?

I will have to read the manual but that would make me wonder if you just leave the camera's MF adjustment set to 0.

Plus considering if you are like me and you have 2-3 camera bodies that's going to be a lot of setup!

Ross

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I also am interested in what this lens does in sports. I also have the original 120-300mm but find myself using the 70-200 lenses as they are a bit lighter and quicker adjusting/focusing..

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Bark Imaging

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Hi, I'm new here, but I have used this lens alot, not the new one though. Also, I have owned the IS and non-IS 300 2.8. I sold the new one to keep the old one. I really like the weight. There is a noticeable IQ difference to pixel peepers. Other than that they will both please their market. I have to hope anyone who buys these lenses intends to sell the product.

The real difference for me is the AF. On the siggy the outermost focal points on a 7d are almost useless in anything but direct sun. Also, the toughest things for a lens and camera combo to do is track focus on something moving very quickly towards you. The siggy will slip and go behind the subject. But those issues take you from say, for example, an 80% usable rate to like 75% as you get used to it.

The ability to zoom from 300 to anything and keep 2.8 is amazing. The lens is black. In the Texas sun it gets EXTREMELY hot.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

OK. So this has been on here for a bit and now that the lens is in stock in several places I would like to know where is there some real in the field results from anyone that might have used it yet?

Ross

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I am on the list with Sigma media relations for the new 120-300 and dongle and a 500 f4.5. Both are out at this time, and I do not know which one I will get first (I am actually hoping for the 500 first since I am currently shooting soccer and football will be here very quickly, then use the 120-300 for hoops, but we will see).

1st, the USB Dongle thing and the in camera calibration are two different beasts. The in camera, for Canon at least, should honestly be used sparingly and in a pinch. You have to be set up perfect with a focus chart, squared to your camera at a specific distance with enough light. And it is one setting for each lens or one setting for all lenses. Typically if you have to adjust every lens and the adjustments are the same, you need to send your camera in to be properly calibrated. If each lens is different, or only a couple lenses need adjustment, you need to send those lenses in to have them adjusted. But if you are in a pinch, can not afford or have the time before a shoot to send your gear in, using the micro adjustment can be a band aid. Ideally, per both Canon and Sigma, and I am sure Nikon, no adjustment should be needed, but they know in shipping, banging around a store, banging around your camera bag and car, things happen. With the Sigma USB dongle, you get multiple adjustments. One at 120mm, one at 300mm and one in between. According to Sigma, no special focusing charts needed. They suggested to me to just go outside, find something like a sign, or a parked car, focus on it take a photo at the three focal lengths and download to you r computer. If any focal length seems front or back focused, make the adjustment, and try again. A couple people I have talked to who have used the Sigma dongle said it took about 15 minutes, and most only had to adjust one of the three focal lengths.

2nd, the Sigma can be used to update firmware. Back in the day, Sigma had a great 300 f4. But as newer bodies came out from Canon it would no longer work. You had to send it in to get it rechipped, and after so long, they stopped rechipping older lenses to work with newer bodies. Instead of a lens becoming obsolete when a new body comes out, the theory is that you should be able to update the firmware with the USB Dongle to continue using your lens. Also, if anything comes up from Sigma, like a new algorithm for autofocus speed, or if something across the line is not performing as it should, it may now be as easy as a firmware fix as opposed to sending it into Sigma for who knows how long.

Jul 04, 2013 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Not sure how many here are on the fence in regards to the new 120-300 Sport, but saving $300 can't hurt...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1230684/0#lastmessage

Adorama.com code for the Nikon mount is S4161932

Not sure how long this will run.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:04 PM
r9jackson

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I rented an older version of that lens and loved the extra reach I got for shooting softball and catching the slides at second base. It was good for my use.

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Thinking about this same thing. I have the original Canon 300/2.8L, and its been a great performer with my 1D3, but I could use a lens built to suit modern sensors a bit better

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
PockettPhoto

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Any further experiences with the 120-300 Sports used for shooting sports?

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:41 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I used it for sports and wildlife and loved it. Got it refurb from Sigma for a $1000 less than new, and it was basically new. The only disadvantage is weight, otherwise it's a really perfect lens and the dock is cool/. I'll look in my folders for sample images and post them

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM
RubenL

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

the ones i posted here are all made with the 120-300 S.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1272538

I also have a dock, but i only used it to make a Custom program, my lens seems to be focusing like i need to have it, so no needs to change that.

greetings

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM
mglaswell

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

I'm also interested in buying this lens. was hoping to see some sports shots.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Exit
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 120-300 (the new one) anyone using it for sports?

Has anyone use it for an NHL game shooting through the holes? From the measurements I don't think it will go through the holes, but maybe the results are still passable? Also can the AF handle players rushing at the net?

Feb 14, 2014 at 04:25 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password