Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

cmpdesignz2010
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Do you think I should Photoshop out the chains and cross? I feel bad being that it is a religious symbol and I feel it shows the players devotion to his faith. All opinions appreciated.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:36 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Chris,

For this sort of display/poster, I would crop it out -- for the simple reason that it is distracting. People will look at the flying chain and not focus on the really clean design and great photo you have of Matt.

Rick

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

I would ditch it, it's a distraction and with the pale BG you have to look really hard to even see the cross

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Also agree, remove it and the poster becomes stronger. BTW, I like the style very much.

Matt

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Hmmmm, it's not often I would disagree with these purveyors of excellent taste, but I'm assuming this chain and its flight as captured here is something that anyone who watches Harvey pitch would see all the time, and therefore it's a part of him as much as his glove, and should be left in the poster. Just my view, of course. Also, while there's no denying your brilliance with these poster designs, for this particular example, to my eye it gets much too murky much too quickly from the center of the poster downward, and the cutout around his pitching hand doesn't look quite right. I'm guessing you've just thrown this together for feedback on the chain, but thought I'd share that anyway.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:36 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

As I was reading the responses of each post, I thought I might have been missing something. I went back to look at the poster like three times. And then I came to Russ. In my opinion, it should stay in for the reasons Russ mentioned. It's part of him. I don't find it distracting nor unflattering either.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:46 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

I agree with P Alesse for the same reasons. Many in sports wear chains. The photo shows him as he is.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:59 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Agree with Russ and Alesse as well. Love the design!

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

The chain is not that noticeable to me I am a Man of Faith so it doesn't bother me at all. De-saturate it maybe but I would not remove it... Nice work by the way

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM
DPC1
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

+ 1 for leaving the chain in.

Nice poster!

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

didn't even see the chain, and had to go back to get a second look, leave it in

Andy

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:56 PM
clindsey

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Great design and poster...definitely leave the chain. The only thing I'd recommend is to adjust the kerning on the letters in the last name so the cursive part (tails) from each letter lines up properly with the next letter. They are off just a bit.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Thought I was going to end up the lone dissenter, until I read down a bit. Just goes to show that everyone looks at things differently, and sometimes we obsess unnecessarily about details.

To me, the chain adds one more element of movement that helps give the image a more dynamic feel, so I vote to keep it. But that cutout around the hand could sure use a little cleanup.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:29 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

I like the chain. Gives it a little more character IMHO.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Yep....leave the chain. Nice design Chris.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:34 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

To me the chain is a distinct distraction. Everything else, right arm!
We should also remember that probably most pitchers like to wear some kind of object (the brighter the better) as a possible distraction for the "hitter".. YMMV

Edited on Jun 15, 2013 at 01:46 AM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Maybe the chain would be less of a distraction if you placed him so that all of the chain (including cross) is backed by the blue from the city skyline. The only way I can imagine the chain as distracting is if people are trying to figure out what it is, which requires some effort given that as presented, some of the chain and pretty much all of the cross are in front of a white background. A very minor adjustment of your placement of the image would add greater definition to the chain/cross, and I actually think that would make it less distracting because there'd be no mystery.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:40 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Russ Isabella wrote:
Hmmmm, it's not often I would disagree with these purveyors of excellent taste, but I'm assuming this chain and its flight as captured here is something that anyone who watches Harvey pitch would see all the time, and therefore it's a part of him as much as his glove, and should be left in the poster. Just my view, of course. Also, while there's no denying your brilliance with these poster designs, for this particular example, to my eye it gets much too murky much too quickly from the center of the poster downward, and the cutout around his
...Show more

His persona includes the Chain. Leave it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:54 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

I agree with Tom D. The chain adds the dynamic visual. Separate to what Russ said. I was going to suggest shifting the image to the left a bunch which would better center his face and upper body without losing the ball arm. This will then put the chain over the blue NY skyline and reamplifynyour question. I think the dynamic feel is good.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:36 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Should I Photoshop Out The Chains

Changed out the image entirely. What do you think?

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password