Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Funny Inquiry

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Funny Inquiry

Bride to be writes
"We don't need anything fancy in terms of angles , creativity etc. Just someone to photograph the event, very easy."

Great! We're actually running a special on our zero creativity collection!

...I'm not even going to respond to this lady, it's just an insulting and careless thing to say.

Edited on Jun 11, 2013 at 03:20 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:19 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Funny Inquiry

So long as they are willing to pay my rate, I wouldn't have a problem accommodating her inquiry. Her inquiry does suggest that she's not looking to spend much money though.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:20 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Funny Inquiry

Like walking into Tiffany's and saying "I don't need anything real, just some plastic fake costume jewelry would be great."

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:33 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Funny Inquiry

I get so many inquires asking for huge discounts. My pricing is very fair and really the least I can charge and still make ends meet. I can tell she isn't going to book...she didn't mention she likes my work and I'm sure it's just a bulk email sent to a bunch of local photographers. I've invested so much time and money into my small business and trying to stand out and getting these messages can be despairing. Luckily this year has been really good and I've had some awesome clients so far. I feel like great clients refer great new clients

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:33 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Funny Inquiry

Funny, most of my $10k+ clients probably want the same thing...

- trr

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:38 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Funny Inquiry

^^ Haha, true story. Except for stating 'very easy' - that is pretty clearly signaling a very low budget.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:46 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Funny Inquiry

Reichman - first off>LOVE your work man, really great stuff and very inspiring. Yeah, if you read the entire message you would realize her intentions. Had she said something along the lines of, "We love your work, we're looking for a simple & classic look" that would be one thing...

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:53 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Funny Inquiry

TRReichman wrote:
Funny, most of my $10k+ clients probably want the same thing.

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:26 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Funny Inquiry

One of the things I've learnt recently is to not be so sensitive with inquiries, and be more pragmatic with them. But sure, little things can annoy us all

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:09 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Funny Inquiry

I had a bride do something similar. I responded with , what is your budget? Maybe I can make a package for you.

She got back to me and said $1k was her max. I said ok, how would the ceremony and an hour or so of photos after be for $1k? She booked me for 2 hours of my work. Fast forward a year after the wedding. She called me asking if I could do an album. I said it wont look anything like the sample albums I showed her because we only have the ceremony and some fun stuff after. Nothing at the reception or getting ready. She said thats fine.

We ended up making a 60 page 12x12 album where most pages were the full photo spread across both pages. Ended up being beautiful and we made another $1500 profit on the album.

So before you write this bride off, get back to her and see whats up. I ended up making $2500 for 2 hours of work plus another 2 hours of editing and album design.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Funny Inquiry

BostonGreg wrote:
...I'm not even going to respond to this lady, it's just an insulting and careless thing to say.

It might be. It also could be a poorly worded way of communicating her wishes and desires.

Entertain a different response. Reply to her and thank her for her interest. Try to arrange a face to face or at least a phone conversation. Clarify her needs using guiding questions. There's a chance you might end up with a booking. You'll at least come across as someone polite enough to respond. If she doesn't book with you, she might remember how nice you were and refer someone who would like to spend more.

I know it's hard to not react, but try to be dispassionate. Don't assume anything.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:54 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Funny Inquiry

Id reply back just like any other inquiry. You'll fit or you wont. Not everyone knows how to craft an email. lol Some have no idea what it really takes. I also dont need an ego stroking telling me how great I am to give a reply. Even if they are 'cheap' I dont need them saying so and so photographer never even replied... Or what if they cant afford you for a wedding but still like your work and book a family portrait down the road?

Ive never had a couple ask for a discount of any sort ever out of about 30 weddings. I guess Im not as jaded to short coined emails.

Ive also had similar things happen like paparazzinick...

IMO this thread comes off as kind of whiny. No offense.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:05 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Funny Inquiry

dmacmillan wrote:
It might be. It also could be a poorly worded way of communicating her wishes and desires.

Entertain a different response. Reply to her and thank her for her interest. Try to arrange a face to face or at least a phone conversation. Clarify her needs using guiding questions. There's a chance you might end up with a booking. You'll at least come across as someone polite enough to respond. If she doesn't book with you, she might remember how nice you were and refer someone who would like to spend more.

I know it's hard to not react, but try
...Show more

Thanks, you're right, this sounds like the best idea.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:43 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Funny Inquiry

I have a rule of thumb that whenever I sense my ego being hit is part of what and why I'm responding the way I am, then it's likely the wrong thing to do and I don't do it.

Ego's great for excelling and ambition but lousy dealing with people.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:29 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Funny Inquiry

NYstyles wrote:
Id reply back just like any other inquiry. ... Not everyone knows how to craft an email.

I give the same response to every inquiry no matter how they word it, no matter how enthusiastic they sound. Time will tell where it ends up.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:17 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Funny Inquiry

D. Diggler wrote:
I give the same response to every inquiry no matter how they word it, no matter how enthusiastic they sound. Time will tell where it ends up.

For sure. Let people weed themselves out. And they will.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:51 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Funny Inquiry

You got a 50/50 chance here, maybe less but I'd consider yourself lucky to have made that much for a wedding weekend. How far out would you book a job like this? Off season?

paparazzinick wrote:
I had a bride do something similar. I responded with , what is your budget? Maybe I can make a package for you.

She got back to me and said $1k was her max. I said ok, how would the ceremony and an hour or so of photos after be for $1k? She booked me for 2 hours of my work. Fast forward a year after the wedding. She called me asking if I could do an album. I said it wont look anything like the sample albums I showed her because we only have the ceremony and some fun stuff
...Show more

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Funny Inquiry

They emailed you because they like your images, or our website, or something. Just reply politely saying you're happy to keep thing simple, but the price remains the same regardless.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Funny Inquiry

You could reply in one of two ways:

"Thanks so much for getting in touch. You and I may well be a good fit -- my shooting style is classic and clean, with few gimmicks or odd angles. I work hard to make what I do look easy. Let's schedule a time to talk."

Or,

"Thanks so much for getting in touch. If by 'nothing ... creative' you mean photos a four year old would likely take if given a camera she can barely hold up without assistance, I can reproduce that look for you, though the fee will be somewhat higher as it requires extensive lunging and, essentially, disposable pants (I'll ruin them by kneeling to get that shooting height).

"If by 'very easy' you mean photos a monkey could get by simply pushing a button, just give a camera to your mom."

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:26 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password