Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 35 F1.4L

Vermiculations

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35 F1.4L

I really need to add a fast moderate wide angle. Based on usage with my 24-105, 35 is just about perfect.

I briefly considered the 24 F1.4 II, but have ruled this lens out as being to wide.

Nor am I interested in purchasing the Sigma 35 F1.4 lens (due to a bad experience with Sigma in the past)

Any useful additional comments appreciated.

May 25, 2013 at 04:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35 F1.4L

"yes, its a great lens".

May 25, 2013 at 05:10 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35 F1.4L

Yes it's a great lens, and Version II won't change that.

I expect that Version II will outperform the current version, but it isn't available yet and it will also be significantly more expensive (which may even increase the resale value of version I - just look at the supertelephoto lenses).

Hard to go wrong with the current version.

May 25, 2013 at 05:34 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35 F1.4L

It's good. I'd still at least give the Sigma a shot though. I haven't trusted them much either, but everything I hear about their 35 1.4 sounds good.

May 25, 2013 at 05:44 AM
taojones

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35 F1.4L

I have a sigma and it's the sharpest lens in my bag plus fantastic quality... Tao

May 25, 2013 at 06:10 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35 F1.4L

No reason to pay more money and get the 35L !! The Sigma is a much better lens that also cost less.

May 25, 2013 at 07:07 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35 F1.4L

It focuses as quickly and accurately as my 70-200 mkII. I can rely on it for street photography at night, travel photography during the day, portrait sessions, events, and just about everywhere. It is a phenomenal focal length for me personally because I am inept at framing wide angle lenses and 35mm feels JUST right for most city and landscapes that I shoot. It works great for full body portraits, environmental portraits, and even upper body portraits. Hell, if I had to choose a single lens to travel the world with it would be the 35L.

On top of all of that bag of usefullness, it renders images incredibly distinctively and in a way that I personally believe is very close to leica/zeiss glass and unlike any other Canon lens I have owned. The only thing that I believe the lens could benefit from is weather sealing. I was thinking about whether or not I would ever upgrade to a mkII version if it came out but would be highly skeptical of canon's ability to maintain the character that this lens has in the mk II. Don't let the 100% comparisons to the sigma fool you this lens is SHARP wide open - where I use it 90% of the time - and has boat loads of contrast and excellent color. You are not buying a second rate lens if you pick up a 35L.

Here are a couple of photos I took last weekend. Haven't had enough time to perfect the editing etc. but it gives you an idea of rendering etc:

and one from Honolulu for funzies:

This was the first prime I ever used that really changed the way I approached photography. Give yourself the opportunity to at least try a 35L. It will not let you down.

Edit: I have also had enough experiences with sigma to know better than to buy one of their products again. Even if they sorted the focusing inadequacies out, I still don't have faith in their mechanical quality.

May 25, 2013 at 07:11 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35 F1.4L

taojones wrote:
I have a sigma and it's the sharpest lens in my bag plus fantastic quality... Tao

+1

and every review or comparison against the 35L confirm that

May 25, 2013 at 07:23 AM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35 F1.4L

The Canon 35L could cost $500, and I would still pick the Sigma 35.

May 25, 2013 at 08:34 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35 F1.4L

Is there a definitive 35L vs Sigma 35mm f/1.4 autofocus speed + accuracy review?

The 35L has been my workhorse for paid work. The sigma might be sharper, but unless the Sigma beats the 35L is literally every way, I wouldn't want to mess with the formula that has worked so well. Sharpness is not an issue I've had with my L.

May 25, 2013 at 08:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 35 F1.4L

kezeka wrote:
Don't let the 100% comparisons to the sigma fool you this lens is SHARP wide open

What kind of comment is this Are you saying all the comparisons showing that the Sigma is a lot sharper wide open are wrong And all those tests and comparisons are fooling people

Every test including Roger Cicala's test have showed that the Sigma is much much sharper and better wide open..........

May 25, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 35 F1.4L

justruss wrote:
Is there a definitive 35L vs Sigma 35mm f/1.4 autofocus speed + accuracy review?

The 35L has been my workhorse for paid work. The sigma might be sharper, but unless the Sigma beats the 35L is literally every way, I wouldn't want to mess with the formula that has worked so well. Sharpness is not an issue I've had with my L.

It's nearly impossible to do that. And you have to do a new test for every camera also.
In every way it has been tested the Sigma beats the 35L. The Canon is not a bad lens. It's just that the Sigma is an outstanding lens.

May 25, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 35 F1.4L

It's an AMAZING lens! Incredibly sharp (I mean zoom-in-to-100%-and-still-incredibly-sharp-sharp! f1.4 and up), great focus and lightweight. I love it.

May 25, 2013 at 09:37 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 35 F1.4L

My 35L was far and a way my most used lens. Then I replaced my 5D 2 with a 5D 3, and the 35L just got better and sharper, especially wide open. The 35L is incredibly versatile, and it delivers.

That said, you might also take a look at the 35mm f/2.0 IS. For some reason—maybe the Sigma 35 craze—the 35 IS seems to be getting little attention—probably fewer purchasers than Canon expected. I suspect the 35 IS may be a better choice for stationary subjects in low light (especially frame filling subjects) than either the 35L or the Sigma.

May 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
bambi73

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 35 F1.4L

i have the 35L and its my most-used lens. great lens.

according to all the tests and reviews - the sigma 1.4 is better than the canon L.
on the other hand - some people (25% according to a survey in this forum) had focus problems with the sigma.
there is another point - the L is in the market for 15 years, and it has a reputation of an "work horse". the sigma is only 5 months in the market.

i think that if you are ammeture - maybe you will be better with the cheaper (and better) sigma.
if you are professional - maybe you will be better with the L, on which you can trust.

i bought the L when it was the only 1.4 option.
if i had to choose today - i think i would go for the SIGMA (im an ammeture).
i was thinking about selling the L and buy the sigma, but i decided to stay with my L.

May 25, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 35 F1.4L

You really need to consider the Sigma. It's like no other Sigma. And better than the L in every way.

May 25, 2013 at 01:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 35 F1.4L

I don't like the 35L becasue it's "sharp".

May 25, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 35 F1.4L

Lens will be great on 6D/FF and I use to own 3 copies of 35L. I wouldn't suggest it for 1D3 only, required lots of AF adjustments on it. I am in same opinion about Sigma, but wait what you will read after this forum is very heavy on Sigma fan-boys somehow ...

May 25, 2013 at 02:10 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 35 F1.4L

The 35L is a great lens and properly supported on canon bodies. You don't have to worry about any issues as new bodies come out. Also just because another lens is slightly sharper doesn't mean that the 35L is somehow no good anymore.

May 25, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Vermiculations

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 35 F1.4L

Like I said before, I won't be buying a Sigma product. I'll take these comments as advice to wait for version II.

May 25, 2013 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password