Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

Cphoto1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

Okay so Iíve read the controversy about the new direction Abobe has decided to go with their Creative Cloud option. Iím certainly not a fan of it.

I am a semi-pro that works about 50% of the time in Photoshop and 50% in Lightroom. I will not be jumping ship to find another software company. Mainly because I have a lot of plugins that use it, I know the software pretty well, and for a photographer like me it is still the best software out there.

So Iíve been considering upgrading my CS5 to CS6 and just going for the $199.00 Upgrade option. But Adobe falls short on all the levels shown below;

#1 - This is the big one for me. Adobe offers some of the really great features only on their CC version (subscription based).
The features I would not get Ė
New Intelligent Upsampling
New Smart Sharpening
Camera Shake Reduction (Nice!)
Raw Layers tool (Wow this is a nice option to have)
Expanded Smart Object support
You can check the link here for yourself as there are more Features ONLY on CC

#2 - My current version of PS allows me to use it on two computers in our home studio. I have one to edit images on and one in our reception room for working with clients. If I go to the CC version I must purchase two individual licenses, thus doubling my monthly expense.

#3 - The $9.95 per month option is only good for one year. Then who knows? My guess is that it will go to the $19.95 price. Creative Cloud Plans

So as a long time client of Adobe Iím disappointed with what is being offered, and at this point Iím not sure what to do. I do appreciate and admire what they have designed but donít like feeling shorted with not having all the known features.

In these tight times for working photographers the added $20.00 - $40.00 per month (for me) is not something I care to be locked into and expense out each month.

Your thoughts welcomed.

May 24, 2013 at 08:10 PM
mgutman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

If I read the Faq correctly, you are allowed to use it on two computers at a time, including concurrent use.

For sure the 9.95 is just a promotional price to get you "hooked".

The annualized cost of upgrading PS/CS every 18 months or so is about $133 a year...

May 24, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

I am no fan of Adobe's new subscription-only software scheme but here are a few comments:

Regarding #2, both the previous perpetual license scheme and the new CC scheme allow you to install the software on two machines, with the assumption that you are using only one at a time. The new CC goes beyond that slightly by allowing those two installs to be on multiple operating systems (Windows / Mac). With the perpetual license, both installs had to be in the same OS.

Regarding #3, I think a price increase is what everyone worries about - even folks that are currently happy with CC. I think it is a legitimate concern. Adobe certainly hasn't shown any qualms about using existing customers' investments in the Adobe eco-system to force them into the software rental model so I see no reason why they wouldn't use that again to accept a price increase. They will have an even stronger position now since a customer will lose access to their existing software if they stop paying, not just future upgrades.

For #1, that is going to be a very personal decision, depending on the kind of work you do. For me, none of the things you listed are earth shattering. I would probably have paid for the upgrade under the old model just because I'm a geek and like playing around with that stuff but I am suspending my Adobe purchases for the foreseeable future. I don't like the way Adobe handled this thing and I think the rental model gives Adobe too much power in the supplier/client relationship (and Adobe already had a great deal of power anyway by being a pseudo-monopoly in the marketplace).

The camera shake reduction would have been the most intriguing for me but I have had Focus Magic for some time and it does a pretty good job. It doesn't calculate a variable path for motion blur like the Adobe filter but none of these de-blur filters are going to make a blurry image perfect anyway.

The smart sharpening improvements are OK I guess but for me, it sounds like they are finally getting around to making Smart Sharpen work right like it should have when they released it originally. It just emphasizes to me how Adobe abuses its customers on these kinds of things - lots of investment on marketing and advertising and quid-pro-quo training and blog relationships but the software improvements are when they feel like it and with the quality they feel like pushing out at a given moment. I can't see that situation getting much better now that they will have a captive base of rental customers.

The Smart Object improvements are also OK I guess but I have always found Smart Objects as sort of a kludge. They can also cause your files to grow enormously.

The upsampling is another too little, too late thing IMO. You really only need it if you regularly make big enlargements and with today's high mega-pixel cameras it may not be necessary even then. If you do need it, there are also third-party options that are just as good.

Good luck with your decision.

May 24, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #4 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

Thank you both (so far) for the input. Good thoughts there "Eyeball", thanks for taking time to write them. Missed the two computer option but there are many times both computers need to use PS at the same time.

May 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Thank you both (so far) for the input. Good thoughts there "Eyeball", thanks for taking time to write them. Missed the two computer option but there are many times both computers need to use PS at the same time.

The software does not know that two computers are being used at the same time.

EBH

May 25, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

Adobe might introduce a few novel features for CC customers...but I would argue strongly that any competent photographer will be well served by CS6 / LR4 for years to come......as for features like 'camera shake reduction'...don't shake your camera!

Software shouldn't become a substitute for using the camera properly. A new camera shouldn't be the answer to not getting the most out of the current one.

Realistically.......if software and hardware development stopped today and what we have now is all we will ever have...is that a bad thing? I see stunning images every day so clearly what is available on the market now is more than good enough...in the right hands!!

May 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

In a few years you might not be able to install and activate CS6 on a new machine.

EBH

May 25, 2013 at 05:00 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #8 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

The fine fellows at C.O.R.E. have made it possible to not use the activation servers at Adobe to install CS6. As long as you can load Windows 8 or 7 even in emulation you can get CS6 to work. If XP is any example 8 should be good for at least 10 years before it is not supported so maybe you could stretch it another 5 or 10 years after that. Surely 15-20 years is enough for a suitable replacement to Photoshop to be developed.

Alternately CS2 was made activation free maybe some day the same will happen with CS6.

May 25, 2013 at 08:17 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #9 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

EB-1 wrote:
In a few years you might not be able to install and activate CS6 on a new machine.

EBH

Time to worry in a few years then......

Personally......I think ( I use a Mac ) I would be able to use it for quite a few years...this is based on my experience with my previous Mac......a G4 I bought about 10 years ago that is still running CS3 with no problems....apart from being a bit slow compared to my current machine.

Obviously I can't open raw files from my more modern cameras (G1X being the last)......but I don't see that being a problem for me for years to come as I generally buy s/h bodies and there is quite a choice of cameras out there that will work with what I have...not that I feel the urge for an upgrade.

May 25, 2013 at 08:43 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #10 · CS6 Upgrade - Dummied Down

Cphoto1954 wrote:
#1 - This is the big one for me. Adobe offers some of the really great features only on their CC version (subscription based).

This is akin to complaining that CS6 had new features over CS5. (Not that I'm a fan of CC, but every new edition has new stuff.)

May 26, 2013 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password