Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

jjraabe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

I have a set of Leica R Lenses I've had converted to EF mount for one of my cameras, but would like to find a 35mm film camera I can have for personal use but still use my leica glass. This wouldn't be my first film camera, I've had one before, but it's been transferred to a family member.

Any suggestions on a body that I can use to shoot with these EF mounted Leicas?

Thanks!

May 24, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

The last really great EOS were the 1V and 3. They sport similar form factor, viewfinders, metering, flash, etc., to the 1D series. Plus you can easily swap out screens for ease of manual focus. If you can live without E-TTL flash, the 1N is just as good. All three are loud monsters so be forewarned. If you need a silent winder your best bet is an EOS 5/A2E if you can find a working one. Unlike the Elan 7 series, it has user interchangeable screens.

May 24, 2013 at 07:31 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

You are spoiled for choice...your best bet would be to forget the lenses and describe the photography you do...and ask for suggestions as to what body best suits that personal interest.

And mention your budget of course......although money probably isn't the issue considering the lenses you are talking about....

May 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM
bmwrider75
• •
p.1 #4 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

I picked up an A2E with the vertical grip in a recent trade thinking I might shoot some
B&W film but its never going to happen, in all likelihood.

PM me if that body is something you might be interested in.

dc

May 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

Gochugogi wrote:
The last really great EOS were the 1V and 3. They sport similar form factor, viewfinders, metering, flash, etc., to the 1D series. Plus you can easily swap out screens for ease of manual focus. If you can live without E-TTL flash, the 1N is just as good. All three are loud monsters so be forewarned. If you need a silent winder your best bet is an EOS 5/A2E if you can find a working one. Unlike the Elan 7 series, it has user interchangeable screens.

The EOS 3 is nice camera, but the 1v had the diopter. AF on both is good, with the 1v being a bit faster. The 1N was slow in comparison.

EBH

May 24, 2013 at 01:29 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #6 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

I have one of the bodies with Eye Controlled Focusing. Some complain that it's unreliable, but I LOVE it. I guess that matters less to you since you're not using autofocusing lenses, but it might be something for you to look for. I have the Elan IIe (EOS 50). I really like it.

May 24, 2013 at 07:47 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

I think the EOS 3 would be the best technically & price wise.
But I went the cheap route & got an Elan 7e for < $30 on Ebay.
My suggestion now would be to get the Elan 7n as metering with manual only lenses works much better. Still a bargain considering what it can still do with a good lens

Dan

May 24, 2013 at 08:11 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

The EOS A2/A2E/5 body was my first EOS camera and I loved it. I always felt like it was ahead of its time and performed superbly. They can be found for very low prices these days. I replaced it in 2002 with my 1vHS, which has become my all-time favorite film camera. I think it's an outstanding camera, one of the best ever made and most definitely my recommendation for you. The build quality, performance, and feel are all top-notch and are all certainly what a professional would expect from a high-performance camera. I think you'd be impressed with the 1v but more importantly, I think you'd really enjoy using it.

Andy

May 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

EB-1 wrote:
The EOS 3 is nice camera, but the 1v had the diopter. AF on both is good, with the 1v being a bit faster. The 1N was slow in comparison.

EBH

I've had both the 1V and EOS-3, kept my pair of EOS-3s, but the 1V is the 'better/faster' more expensive pro body. Both cameras share the same vertical grip and batteries. The only 'pain' with the 3 is you must buy external eye pieces for your diopter adjustments, where as the 1Vs are built-in. The 3 is less robust, a bit more plastic like, but still rugged/viable.

May 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

I also had two EOS 3 and one 1v with booster. I only kept one film body, an EOS 3. Now my eyes cannot see the viewfinder.

EBH

May 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

EB-1 wrote:
I also had two EOS 3 and one 1v with booster. I only kept one film body, an EOS 3. Now my eyes cannot see the viewfinder.

EBH

EBH, perhaps some wiring is required, instead of ECF with the 3 we'd have BCF...brain controlled focus, I'd just hope it wouldn't be tied in to our sub-conscious

May 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #12 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

1V HS

May 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

How good are your eyes? Because as good as they are, you're still looking (no pun intended) at autofocus SLR bodies that divert 40% of incoming light to an AF sensor.

Are your conversions of the Leitax type, or are they adapters that can be dismounted?

Me personally, I wouldn't shoot my Summicron R 50 on my EOS-1N, I'd use my R9 because manual focus is that much easier on that body and of course it's coupled for full-diaphragm metering.

Again, I'm being contrarian but sometimes a nudge from an unexpected side gets you thinking about...well, the unexpected.

There's also an EOS film body that was non-AF, I think it was the EOS EF-M and has a screen and viewfinder specifically designed for manual focus. I have pretty gnarly refraction that contact lenses mostly correct, but in 2012 the eyesight in my right eye worsened quite a bit, hence my comment prodding you consider something besides the (deservedly) popular choices above.

May 25, 2013 at 05:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

There are focusing screens for the 1v/3 that help with MF lenses.

EBH

May 25, 2013 at 06:36 AM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #15 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

EOS1 or EOS1n. Either are basic, AF, rugged pro bodies. Or the EOS1v.

May 26, 2013 at 08:06 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #16 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

Earlier today, I was out shooting tri-x and velvia 100 with my 1V. Love It! I still use that camera on a regular basis.

May 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · 35mm Film Camera suggestions for EF Lenses

I agree with sirimiri (Greg). If you have R lenses with ROM connections, a R8 or R9 would be the best choice for focusing and use.

You mention "converting", by which I assume you mean you mounted a integral EF mount, not that you connected the ROM to Canon.

I have a 1N with Power Booster, and that works great. But I seldom use it, and when I do, I use EF lenses with
AF.

1V would be the "best" choice, and is still an active Canon listing as its only film camera.

May 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password