Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

mholdef
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

I currently own a 27" iMac I bought in Oct 2010 (2.93 GHz i7 with 16GB DDR3 RAM and 256Go Flash SSD drive). When I upgraded to the Nikon D800, some tasks were a tad slower (such as loading previews or using the healing brush in Lightroom), but for the most part I was OK handling 16bit TIFF files in Photoshop (I allocated 10GB of the RAM to Photoshop for file handling which helped quite a bit).

That was until I started working with panoramic shots that run 250-350Mo !!! For example, converting to B&W with Silver Efex can take minutes once I hit 'Save'.

I can't add any more RAM to my current system and I'm wondering if upgrading to the latest 3.4 GHz iMac with 32Go of RAM would make a huge difference. I am torn as I would like to upgrade to the latest iMac in part for its better LCD, but I wouldn't want to do so unless I would be getting a major step up in performance.

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

Mark

May 23, 2013 at 04:47 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

I think something else might be going on. I have some scans of 6x7 at 4000ppi, which run ~550Mb, running on an early 2010 iMac i5 with 8Gb of RAM, and speeds are not bad at all.

Do you flatten the stitched layers before you run them through Nik?

May 23, 2013 at 05:16 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

That's a very good question. Yes, layers are flattened before running through Nik.

I just did a test on a 390Mo TIFF file and running through Nik took 90 seconds...

May 23, 2013 at 05:49 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

If this helps, I just ran Activity Monitor and inspected Photoshop while converting a 390MB TIFF image with Silver Efex. Screen shots below (of course fluctuating but gives some idea).

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated.

Mark

MEMORY

STATISTICS

May 24, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

Pardon my ignorance, but could it be that non-Ps processes are bogging down on memory or drive transfers, etc. ? Even if Ps is happy you would want to check the overall page-outs and disk activity which may be allocated to system processes that are doing something for Ps.

Also, make sure that nothing else is going on simultaneously such as untimely Spotlight indexes or Time Machine backups. I'm not sure how they rate against Ps in terms of individual process priorities but they might be having an impact.

And finally, I think that Ps file access is pretty much a single-core activity that leaves much of a modern CPU under-utilised even if the drive is also not a bottleneck, but especially so if the drive is a bottleneck.

Lloyd Chambers has some Ps optimisation tricks for Mac computers on his www.MacPerformanceGuide.com site, but I don't know how well the older tips apply to the latest versions of Ps and OS X. There are things like saving large tif files as uncompressed because the penalty of writing extra data to the disk is far less significant than having Ps use just a single CPU core to compress the file (and also more recently because writing uncompressed data to some SSDs is faster than writing compressed data). This would have an impact every time you save a file 'just in case' whether or not you have finished editing it.

- Alan

May 29, 2013 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mholdef
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

Thanks Alan for an enlightened reply

Mark

May 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

A 390 MB file thru NIK at 90 seconds doesn't seen too bad to me.

May 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Remko

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

I have a January 2011 iMac with 16 GB of RAM and a SSD for my OS and applications, using a Pegasus 6 TB in RAID 5 conneced thru Thunderbolt for all the data.

Not exactly the same config you have, I know. I have no performence issues with my D800 files at all, and some get pretty large in PS.
Anyhow, a 390 MB file is not big at all IMHO.

I suspect, like Alan321 said, that you might have other processes running that are bringing your performance down. Just try the same thing with only PS and your Nik filter up and running and see how that goes.

cheers,
Remko

May 30, 2013 at 07:58 PM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iMac and D800 (Performance)

Jeffrey wrote:
A 390 MB file thru NIK at 90 seconds doesn't seen too bad to me.

That's my impression after the different comments that have come through, at least given what's out there, so I'm now thinking about waiting until the next generation to be sure I get a big leap in performance from where I'm at.

Mark

May 30, 2013 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password