Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is my new website too slow?

lloyd709

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is my new website too slow?

I've just built a new website using Virb and it seems very slow to me for what are actually quite small images. I've been in contact with Virb and they are telling me it should be fine!! If you fancy taking a quick look for me and letting me know what you think that would be great.

www.lloydsturdy.co.uk

If you don't already know, Virb stores and images for you so you don't have control of how fast a server you use. If anyone knows where I might be able to get this website re-built for me so I can loose Virb that would be great.

Thanks.

UPDATE on Thursday 23rd: Virb who host my site have just done as system update and really screed things up so this site is not working properly at the moment. I'll post another update when they have got it back to normal!!

Edited on May 23, 2013 at 08:33 AM · View previous versions

May 21, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #2 · Is my new website too slow?

The scrollable part in the people tab took at least 15-20 seconds to fully load all the pics.

The drink tab was a bit faster though

Hope this helps? Feels a tad slow, but I don't know how heavy your images are

May 21, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Is my new website too slow?

looks fine to me. everything loaded within couple of seconds or less.

May 21, 2013 at 09:17 PM
lloyd709

p.1 #4 · Is my new website too slow?

Thanks guys - already got the two different scenarios that I'm experiencing at different times. The images are very light (an average of about 40KB each). It would be great if others could take a look so I can get a handle on the variation (I only have a couple for friends and family I can really ask so peoples help would be useful).

Thanks

May 21, 2013 at 09:23 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Is my new website too slow?

OK, so I took your bait and clicked your link, then clicked "people". A couple of images came up in just a couple of seconds and then nothing happened. After maybe ten seconds the light dawned: Oh, maybe I am intended to scroll this myself? So I think the site loads just fine, but apparently it isn't immediately clear how to use it. Or else I'm brain dead at this time of the evening. By the way, there is some damn fine work in there. Congratulations. If I had just two percent of your skills, likely I wouldn't shy away from people photography as I always have...

May 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
lloyd709

p.1 #6 · Is my new website too slow?

CalW wrote:
OK, so I took your bait and clicked your link, then clicked "people". A couple of images came up in just a couple of seconds and then nothing happened. After maybe ten seconds the light dawned: Oh, maybe I am intended to scroll this myself? So I think the site loads just fine, but apparently it isn't immediately clear how to use it. Or else I'm brain dead at this time of the evening. By the way, there is some damn fine work in there. Congratulations. If I had just two percent of your skills, likely I wouldn't shy
...Show more

Thanks for taking - very interesting about what you say about the scroll bar thing. Regarding the speed thing, I've just had another email from Virb telling me it's loading fine. It seems that sometimes it's loading really fast and other times it loads like a dog!

Thanks for your kind words on the pics - it's taken many years of cutting my teeth at local papers and then trawling around the City only for my work to now look quite tame by a kid with an iphone app!! That's photography I guess - it never has and probably never will stand still!!

May 22, 2013 at 07:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lloyd709

p.1 #7 · Is my new website too slow?

If anyone is still looking at my site, Virb who host it have just done a system update and really screwed things up so it's not working at all as it should be - with some links not working and other problems.

I'll post again when it's working again - hopefully soon.

May 23, 2013 at 08:35 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Is my new website too slow?

Took a look just for fun. At 11:00am CST on the 23rd it was working and had instant load time. Under 2 seconds and all images were ready. Faster than my site which I thought was fast.

May 23, 2013 at 03:53 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #9 · Is my new website too slow?

Loaded instantly here. Nice photos, BTW.

May 23, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Lee Nelson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Is my new website too slow?

It's 8:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time for me in California lloyd. Two seconds for me to have everything loaded. Extremely fast.

I love your work. The corporate images and stills are Top Class. Really enjoyed viewing. The SKYY image.....whoa, what an angle.

May 24, 2013 at 03:26 AM
lloyd709

p.1 #11 · Is my new website too slow?

Thanks everyone for taking a look - and the nice comments. After Virb's update everything seems to be loading very fast now. A big relief - I thought I was going to have to get it bespoke built!

May 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password