Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · upgrade cameras, D600?

eephoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · upgrade cameras, D600?

D. Diggler wrote:
And another thing when you swing both ways like I do ...

You're not always using the cameras back-to-back with each other in the same scene. Oftentimes you pick the tool that's the best for the job and just use that one so there aren't the side-by-side comparison shots for the client to look at. Work each tool to its strengths.

I'm curious what you shoot... I am seriously considering. Are the colors that are rendered that different? Mind you though like you said I can see how you would be able to use the cameras for different aspects of the day. I'm curious what lenses you have as well for each camera?

May 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #2 · upgrade cameras, D600?

Heiko,

Congrats on making a decision that you feel works best for you.

I'd love to hear your experience in the future with low-light AF. For ME, that's the biggest drawback between the D600 & D700- I wonder if the D600 will wind up struggling in situations that the D700 would fare better.

heikoM wrote:
- AF is good, even in very low light. May not be as fast as my D700s but OK.
Heiko

May 24, 2013 at 01:08 PM
heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · upgrade cameras, D600?

I just think, what helps the better AF of the D700 if itīs so dark you canīt take a picture any longer because of the ISO restrictions? So, no matter how good you focus, the pics will be inferior.

On the other hand, the D600 "may" need a bit longer, or you have here and there a shot oof, but what you get is fully usable...

I will get to you after tomorrows wedding...

heiko

May 24, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #4 · upgrade cameras, D600?

My impression, from what others have told me, is that the D600's AF covers less area. To ME this would be a drawback, as I love shooting w/ f/1.4 glass, where focus/recompose doesn't work.

Would love to hear one more opinion- or better, still, be able to buy a D700 body with 51 AF points with a D600 sensor... but I'm guessing that's almost 2 years away, so hopefully I'll be able to hold it together til that happens.

May 24, 2013 at 03:23 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.2 #5 · upgrade cameras, D600?

Nikon_14 wrote:
My impression, from what others have told me, is that the D600's AF covers less area. To ME this would be a drawback, as I love shooting w/ f/1.4 glass, where focus/recompose doesn't work.

Would love to hear one more opinion- or better, still, be able to buy a D700 body with 51 AF points with a D600 sensor... but I'm guessing that's almost 2 years away, so hopefully I'll be able to hold it together til that happens.

Learn to compensate for it. in normal shooting, that means not 30 cm away from the subject it is not that big of a deal.

Yeah, would like a small body, like D600, or even much smaller, professionally build, like D4, with a 16 MP sensor and fantastic colors and high ISO. No gimmicks needed. And a small 35/1.4

Would pay a fortune for this set-up.

May 24, 2013 at 07:00 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · upgrade cameras, D600?

heikoM wrote:
with a 28/1.8 on one and a 50/1.4 on the other

That's a nice versatile setup for lots of shots.

May 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · upgrade cameras, D600?

I just had this debate with a buddy of mine last week. He hates the D600 because it is smaller and has some lesser specs than what the d700 had. The viewfinder was his biggest complaint.

I love my D600 for many reasons. Just to name a few....

1. Size is great. I love smaller cameras. Since switching to all primes, having smaller bodies is awesome. So much lighter.
2. Megapixels. I know, it doesn't matter. 12-16 is enough for the majority of the work I do. But having 24 is killer when you need to extreme crop and still need a 16x20.
3. Very clean ISO 6400 - I thought the D700 was pretty clean at 1600. This just opened new doors for me. I like to shoot available light when I can. Being able to shoot at 6400 at f1.4-2.8 and get clean usable images is stunning.
4. Price for what you get. I got a refurb from cameta for $1500. Seriously, what FX body with killer features as the D600 can you get for so cheap?

WHat I dont like
1. not built like the d700 was - but its still not bad.
2. the viewfinder coverage is a little of a let down. But its really not that bad.

D600 is a great camera. I laugh at the people who pride themselves on super high end gear and say the D600 is just a family/vacation camera for them. To those people, I laugh and think you're nuts. HAHA Yea thats right I said it. Sure, a D4 or D800 would be the better choice, but a D600 is a capable camera and will do just fine. Just to prove my point. I had a bunch of D7000's that we used from the week they were released until a few weeks ago. We shot 71 weddings, 500+ portrait sessions and somewhere around 2000 corporate events and sessions with them. Never had 1 issue with them at all. They made us a ton of money and we saved a few thousand by not buying D4's

So what a lot of people think or say about if you're a pro then you need top of the line gear is right, if this was 2006. But in 2013, all cameras are pretty capable of doing amazing things at all levels.

May 25, 2013 at 01:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · upgrade cameras, D600?

paparazzinick wrote:
D600 is a great camera. I laugh at the people who pride themselves on super high end gear and say the D600 is just a family/vacation camera for them. To those people, I laugh and think you're nuts.

Actually ... I think the D600 sensor is, overall, the best modern sensor there is! In some respects it's better than the D800 and the D4.

May 28, 2013 at 08:00 AM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.2 #9 · upgrade cameras, D600?

@heiko: I recently switched from 2 D700 bodies to a D600 pair. No regrets whatsoever on my end. AF is fine. I actually forgot to switch to AF-A during the reception to enable the on-flash asist light, and I still got plenty of accurate AF in rather dim conditions (yes, I had fast lenses on, and was smart enough to look for laser light on faces to focus on). When AF failed me, it was 100% all on me (rushed a shot, moved in w/o refocusing, etc.)

On the very plus side, I'm loving the lighter kit, and the dual slots are peace of mind.

May 28, 2013 at 06:40 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.2 #10 · upgrade cameras, D600?

Yes, I used my D600s for a wedding last saturday and was pleased. Some odd face colors in the barn when doing portraits, but it was mixed lightning, high ISO and a bit of underexposure from my side.

On Friday I will see if I get this problem again, donīt think so.

Did I say I love them?

heiko

May 28, 2013 at 06:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · upgrade cameras, D600?

How high are y'all comfortable going with D600 ISO?

May 28, 2013 at 08:24 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · upgrade cameras, D600?

eNoBlog wrote:
I actually forgot to switch to AF-A during the reception

How does AF-A seem to work for ya? I had asked about the AF-A mode in the Nikon forum but no one who replied seemed to have actually used it. Most advised I should just choose AF-S or AF-C.

May 28, 2013 at 08:27 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.2 #13 · upgrade cameras, D600?

Hi Diggler, sorry for delay, had you accidently hide, so did not see your posts. Did not know this function even exsits here...

ISO 3200 is very good. I think even ISO 6400 is very usable. Far ahead of the D700.
H1 is no crap either...

The AF is OK. In normal light (in house in the day) not worse then D700. In low light not sure, but locks on quite well. Had some portraits shooting against extreme light were it constantly missed, but my D700 do, too. That is something only my M9 manage.

I played with AF A, seems to work, but I normally shoot just C.

nice day to you,

heiko

May 29, 2013 at 07:31 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password