Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

yoshidude

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Hello Everyone,

I've been spending some time here getting tips and tricks, but have never uploaded anything. I'm hoping that I can improve and also contribute to the community, here.

Most of my photos consist of sports/action shots of my son and his friends, but I did get him to stand still long enough to try this portrait.

I wish I had a handheld reflector to show more light in the shadows of his eyes, but am ok with the shot, overall. I had this in color and b&w, but my kid likes the b&w (and this more serious expression).

Any thoughts or help? 2 pictures below. Comments welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Just for Fun.....

May 20, 2013 at 03:20 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

I like these, and wouldn't worry about the eyes in the first one. I like (and have used) the idea of showing a serious side and a more relaxed, fun side of a teen in the same clothing. I recently did formal portraits of high school choral students in their choral wardrobe, both conventional waist-up shots, and then shots with props they brought along to show their other interests, still dressed in concert wardrobe. It was fun. So are these. Good work.

May 20, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

2 very well done shots.

May 20, 2013 at 03:45 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Nice, but I would prefer a little wider look on both.
Douglas

May 20, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

douter wrote:
Nice, but I would prefer a little wider look on both.
Douglas

Yes, me too.

May 20, 2013 at 08:17 PM
yoshidude

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Thank you so much for the comments, everyone. For a first-time posting, I was hoping to get some comments such as these. It really is appreciated!

Douglas, when you say a wider shot/view, are you talking about having more negative space in the direction my son is facing (or headed in the skateboard shot)? I must admit that I've read many of the "crop, and then crop tighter" comments in the forum, and it had some bearing on how tight these are!

Thank you again for your comments. I am sincerely excited about participating here.

Scott

May 21, 2013 at 02:06 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Compositions are too tight, as has been said already.

May 21, 2013 at 02:58 AM

Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Number 2 with a different BG would be a homerun. As is its a triple. Sorry, just got done watching MLB......

The first one I actually think a tighter crop would work better. Crop just above the bottom of the tie for a leading line up to his eyes

May 21, 2013 at 06:20 AM
yoshidude

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Thanks, Michael, for the advice. Interestingly enough, when I made a print of the first photo for Mother's Day gifts to mom and the grandmas, I did crop it just under the tie (as you'd suggested). It does work to pull the focus solely to my son's face.

Thanks again everyone.
Scott

May 22, 2013 at 04:55 PM
ScottHM
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

2 would be nice as well if you were more to the left and he was doing that turn toward you and got some eye contact. I probably wouldn't have cropped as tight. I think both are good either way, just the little things, like that house

May 24, 2013 at 06:16 AM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Jim Rickards wrote:
Yes, me too.

This.

May 24, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

yoshidude wrote:
Thank you so much for the comments, everyone. For a first-time posting, I was hoping to get some comments such as these. It really is appreciated!

Douglas, when you say a wider shot/view, are you talking about having more negative space in the direction my son is facing (or headed in the skateboard shot)? I must admit that I've read many of the "crop, and then crop tighter" comments in the forum, and it had some bearing on how tight these are!

Thank you again for your comments. I am sincerely excited about participating here.

Scott

The wider comments mean you cropped too close to the edge of the frame, not about negative space. Shoulder almost touching the edge in one shot, for example.

May 25, 2013 at 08:23 AM
yoshidude

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First Post: Available Light Portrait from Spring Formal

Thanks Everyone,
Again, this has been a great first experience in posting, here. I really appreciate the effort and comments.

I can see that the crop is the main issue, and I even went back to the original file to see if I could find some more negative space in the direction my son was facing in each photo.

I realize that this is really not the biggest problem. It actually was something more elementary...... I just cropped it too close. Period.

Thank you guys. I'll keep working!
Happy Memorial Day!
Regards,
Scott

May 25, 2013 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password