Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Filters stuck together

onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filters stuck together

OK...here is what I have.

B+W 82mm UV filter and a B+W slimline CPL filter

First time mounted the CPL.....ran the filter on, and only with the weight of one finger took to where it stopped turning.

Used for one day during a trip to shoot landscapes. Played with the circular setting several times, but never tightened the primary filter at any time.

Came home from the trip, went to take off CPL from UV filter....no can do.

Got out cheap set of plastic filter wrenches....no can separate.
Took a thin lightweight rubber "gripper" for undoing jar lids and filter wrench...no can do

Any ideas on how to un mate the two??

May 20, 2013 at 02:05 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filters stuck together

Somebody will tell you to ditch the UV filterů

You got just the filters in your hand and not on the lens? You can try putting the wrenches back on and apply pressure as to unscrewing and bang it on the table, kind of what an impact wrench would do for taking off lug nuts. Put it in the freezer to try to shrink the thread contacts and try it again.

Are they the same material? Brass, aluminum? Or mixture?

May 20, 2013 at 03:01 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filters stuck together

Well...i'm hesitant of ditching a new $125+ filter....with possible chance of damaging the other!!

Both are brass. And I'm trying off lens to seperate

I was pondering placing in slightly warm water...hoping maybe that some water would seep in between and loosen...but not sure if it would have impact on the CPL filter.

Edited on May 20, 2013 at 03:18 AM · View previous versions

May 20, 2013 at 03:07 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filters stuck together

I thought of soaking them but was not sure of the B+W slimline CPL filter if the edges are sealed and no water would get between the multi layers. Somebody else might know for sure. Nothing unusual shooting for the day no bumping .Or one may have been out of round from the start. 82mm thin is pretty big.
Patrick

May 20, 2013 at 03:16 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filters stuck together

OK.....filters separated!!!!!

Here is what I ended up doing:

I have two plastic filter wrenches. In my first attempts, I was placing one on each filter but couldn't get either to "stay" on the filter.

I then placed one on the filter and then placed the filter on the desktop...to give it a flat surface for the hand grips to stay straight. I then placed the other in an off set position and attempted again.

No luck....It was as if I couldn't get a "good" grip on either filters.....I know...cheap wrenches!!

Then I thought....why not place one of the wrenches on the thread of the exposed filter, and then place a rubber band on the slim filter...............WALLA!!!!

One joined filters are now two separate filters!!

The rubber band gave the "extra" grip on the slim filter ring, and the threads allowed the plastic wrench to grip better.

Just sharing...in case it will help the next guy!

May 20, 2013 at 05:42 AM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filters stuck together

I have had something maybe similar happen often on a couple lenses - not able to unscrew cpl from uv filter even though screwed on gently.

I partly unscrew the UV filter maybe half way (which requires no effort), then the CPL easily unscrews.

May 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Filters stuck together

now you know not to place a cpl on a uv

All you achieve from this is unwanted light artifacts/flare & loss of sharpness in your shots. The cpl will protect your lens front element just fine.

May 20, 2013 at 03:48 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Filters stuck together

I had a similar issue with my polarizer stuck on a 52-72mm adapter ring - used a few rubber bands to get a much better grip in the filter edges to get them separated.

I only use UV filters as lens caps

May 20, 2013 at 04:23 PM
obeach

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Filters stuck together

Sneakers, use the cleats on the sneakers. Put a shoe on each side and twist. Lefty loosy-righty tighty

Tom

May 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Filters stuck together

MikeW wrote:
now you know not to place a cpl on a uv

All you achieve from this is unwanted light artifacts/flare & loss of sharpness in your shots. The cpl will protect your lens front element just fine.

I use a CPL filter to modify light. I use a hood and/or a lens cap to protect my front elements. Just sayin'.

May 23, 2013 at 01:52 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Filters stuck together

jcolwell........I'm with you on that as well.....again...thanks for all the comments

May 23, 2013 at 02:57 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Filters stuck together

onesickpuppy wrote:
went to take off CPL from UV filter....no can do.

sticking a cpl on top of a uv is not ideal & is what I was referring to. I too use a cpl when necessary & I prefer a lens hoodie to a cap,

May 23, 2013 at 03:57 AM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Filters stuck together

On a recent trip to the coast, my polarizer got stuck to my 10-stop ND filter, both of which I wanted to use but obviously could not. (I keep all my round filters together, using stack caps, which reduces the volume of the filters. I try to keep the filters loosely screwed together to eliminate sticking.) When I got home, I was preparing to order some plastic filter wrenches, but first decided to try an old home remedy- two rubber bands, which worked well. I think one of the problems in trying to separate two filters is that when we try to grasp the filters, the amount of pressure we use to grasp (to keep the filters from slipping in our fingers) may slightly distort the metal rims, thus increasing friction between the two filters, that in turn makes it even harder to unscrew one from the other. The rubber bands allow one to achieve the necessary grasping friction on the rim without having to grasp as strongly. Whether I am correct or not may be debatable, but at least for me, the rubber bands worked.

May 25, 2013 at 03:21 AM
fatedquest

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Filters stuck together

Place the TOP filter. on a slab of ice you can make easily in a container in your freezer.

Place a towel soaked in boiling water on the BOTTOM filter.

This always works.

May 25, 2013 at 02:23 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Filters stuck together

fatequest.....it seems it would be backwards your way....I'd want the bottom filter (one holding top filter) to expand...and the top one to contract.....no?

May 25, 2013 at 02:26 PM
fatedquest

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Filters stuck together

Maybe we're seeing top and bottom differently but you got the idea

May 25, 2013 at 08:26 PM
bogeypro

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Filters stuck together

Not sure if this procedure would work with a CPL but I've always used a piece of material that you put under a throw rug to keep it from slipping on a hardwood floor.

place the material on both sides of the stuck filters, place between your palms and turn in the correct direction, works every time and because the material is so soft (but grippy) nothing can get scratched or damaged.

May 29, 2013 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password