Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

fabledsoe

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Behind home plate. All shots were with a Canon Rebel XS and 75-300mm.

Edited on May 19, 2013 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

May 19, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Welcome to Sports Corner.

How far, what row were you shooting from? I ask because all but one shot was was either clipped or intentionally cropped. The next time you might try a portrait orientation on shots of the pitcher or a batter in the on deck circle.

Ted

May 19, 2013 at 02:08 PM
fabledsoe

p.1 #3 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

I am literally first row. Most of the pics were intentionally cropped, but not cropped where I purposely cut off limbs. And thanks for the advice!

May 19, 2013 at 02:21 PM
fabledsoe

p.1 #4 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

A few of more from the game. Soriano played model really well.

May 19, 2013 at 02:23 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

I'll echo the welcome message.

Here are my thoughts: first of all, if you're looking for comments, it's a LOT better to number your shots. Secondly, a lot of these look a little hot, or overexposed. I tried to check out your EXIF but it has been stripped.

Look at the pinstripes on Soriano's uniform (if you can). They pretty much disappear into the white of the fabric, as you've blown out the highlights.

In general, a shot of the back of a player isn't ideal (the first one of DeJesus) unless they're doing something interesting, and like Ted said, if you're going to shoot pitchers or batters, you normally want to get the entire body in frame. You have a lot of shots of players kinda standing around not doing much. Any reason for this? Your pitcher shots would be better earlier in the delivery Vs. the follow-through. Also, on the shot of Outman, the player in the background ruins the image.

Hope this helps.

May 19, 2013 at 05:12 PM
fabledsoe

p.1 #6 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Thanks for the advice on the editing.

As for not having action shots, where I was sitting and the body that I do have (Rebel XS @ 1.5fps RAW), Action shots are definitely hard to come by.

May 20, 2013 at 06:14 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

fabledsoe wrote:
As for not having action shots, where I was sitting and the body that I do have (Rebel XS @ 1.5fps RAW), Action shots are definitely hard to come by.

Your XS should be able to shoot at 3fps in JPEG mode. In fact, though, bursts aren't that useful for shooting baseball. 9/10 times, even when I do shoot a burst, my best shot is the first shot in a series. Of more importance is the shutter lag, but you should be able to "learn" you camera well enough to anticipate and calibrate for this.

May 20, 2013 at 09:26 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Think about shooting in vertical mode most of the time for baseball.

May 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kyyo24
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

id definitely consider shooting in portrait, if you want to shoot landscape then zoom out more or dont crop as much. cutting off the limbs is very distracting. when i first started shooting, my nikon was only 4 fps. if you know the sport, you can somewhat predict whats going to happen and get an action shot

May 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM
TheDoc65
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Welcome! Nothing new to add critique wise though. Crops, exposure, and also for me backgrounds. guys standing and not in a ready position is a dead giveaway to warm ups vs. game action.

Best of luck!

May 21, 2013 at 01:32 AM
fabledsoe

p.1 #11 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Thanks for the critiques!

May 21, 2013 at 01:26 PM
fabledsoe

p.1 #12 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

So something along the lines of this photo is a better submission for action?

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS    170mm    f/5.0    1/400s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 21, 2013 at 09:17 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Well, that IS action, though ask yourself this question: "Is this moment interesting/significant/intriguing enough to memorialize in a photo?"

What I see is a batter a moment after what appears to be a foul pop up. Not exactly peak action, nor a pivotal moment in the contest, I'm gonna guess. Plus, it's not sharp image and the exposure is off. 1/400s is too slow to shoot T-ball, let alone MLB. How does your XS handle ISO 3200? The 75-300 should be capable is better results than this. Why are you not zoomed all the way in, BTW?

May 21, 2013 at 09:43 PM
fabledsoe

p.1 #14 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

XS goes to up to 1600. From where I am sitting (Terrace Infield by 1st base) I would have cut off the feet. Yeah, this was taken with a monopod, not handheld.

May 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

Ah, OK. Not much else you could have done, then, other than borrow an f/2.8 lens. Work on your composition, and shoot day games

May 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Cubs vs Rockies 5-15-13..1st post.

fable, not to toot my own horn, but check out the shot of Anthony Rizzo hitting a home run in this thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1213866/0#lastmessage

You can see how batters should be shot mostly vertical. In fact, like Paul said, much of baseball can be shot vertical. Exceptions are plays at bases, and long distance shots where you're able to get all the action in a horizontally-oriented frame.

Here's an example of a play at home where horizontal works:

May 22, 2013 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password