New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

1. Looking down the main shopping street toward The Bund- a narrow park along the river.
2. At The Bund- I gestured to the man that I'd like to photograph him and his little girl. As you can tell, he was proud to let me.
All the passers by seemed to enjoy it, too.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Shanghai Traffic- in the 1980s

Charlie Shugart 2013

Shanghai in the 1980s- A Proud Father

May 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

Sadly, that overpass no longer exists in that area, otherwise I'd try and shoot the exact same scene. However, I will head on over to the bund and make some images anyway.

Charlie, when you were at the Bund, what did the other side of the river look like? Was it all farms? I assume you have seen the modern Shanghai skyline now!

May 19, 2013 at 05:53 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

I love the extra sleeves on the baby! That is SOOO Chinese. My coworkers all wear those. I still think it is strange.

May 19, 2013 at 05:55 AM
Dougo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

The extended footpaths are very interesting, I wonder if the cars have taken the roads back today

Cheers Ray

May 19, 2013 at 07:56 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

Dougo wrote:
The extended footpaths are very interesting, I wonder if the cars have taken the roads back today

Cheers Ray

Not at all. Walking down Nanjing Road towards the Bund today is an exercise in massive frustration. The side walks are far too small to handle the foot traffic, and today the street is 100% for cars, so you walk in the street at your own risk.

May 19, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Alan Young
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

Hi Charlie

Two great shots, illustrating a stark contrast to how it is today. More people and many more cars and scooters make walking anywhere a real challenge. If you find yourself walking
in the wrong direction, it's a bit like a salmon swimming up stream

Alan

Edited on May 20, 2013 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

Thanks Ratty, Ray and Alan.
Few if any farms that I remember across the river. Just low buildings and port stuff.
Didn't the extra sleeves get started back when ink and printing would smudge one's shirt sleeves? Perhaps it just evolved into a style in China.
Sections of these sidewalks were more crowded than here, and I understand the analogy of fish swimming upstream. But at least when salmon swim upstream they have sex when they arrive at their destination. I sure as hell never did in China .
Charlie

May 20, 2013 at 01:34 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Thanks Ratty, Ray and Alan.
Few if any farms that I remember across the river. Just low buildings and port stuff.
Didn't the extra sleeves get started back when ink and printing would smudge one's shirt sleeves? Perhaps it just evolved into a style in China.
Sections of these sidewalks were more crowded than here, and I understand the analogy of fish swimming upstream. But at least when salmon swim upstream they have sex when they arrive at their destination. I sure as hell never did in China .
Charlie

That too has changed Charlie. Now walking down Nanjing road towards the Bund, one is accosted by a sometimes endless stream of pimps looking for customers.

Sometimes I'll walk down Nanjing road with my wife about 10 feet behind me. When a pimp or street worker comes up to me asking if I want a "massagee" or action with a lady, I'll turn around and say I have to ask my wife first. The looks on the pimps faces when they see this is always hilarious.

May 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shanghai- 25 years ago #2

rattymouse wrote:
That too has changed Charlie. Now walking down Nanjing road towards the Bund, one is accosted by a sometimes endless stream of pimps looking for customers.

Sometimes I'll walk down Nanjing road with my wife about 10 feet behind me. When a pimp or street worker comes up to me asking if I want a "massagee" or action with a lady, I'll turn around and say I have to ask my wife first. The looks on the pimps faces when they see this is always hilarious.

I'll bet it's funny when you do that, Ratty.
!0 feet behind? Sounds like traditional old-fashioned Japan when I first visited 30+ years ago.
Your anecdote reminds me of my first trip to Europe WAYYYY back. I met a nice girl in Amsterdam, and she was showing me the Canal Red Light District (back then it was not a den of dopers and criminals). I commented on how truly beautiful the prostitutes were- sitting in the front windows scantily clothed.
My friend teased me: "Would you like to go in for three or four minutes?" (We hadn't had sex, so she was NOT using the number in reference to me .)
But back to China: Pacific salmon die after having sex- so maybe it was a good thing for me to be celibate while there (yeah, right).
Charlie

May 21, 2013 at 02:45 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.