New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · SDxC Only Reader

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SDxC Only Reader

Are there any USB 3.0 card readers that are only for SDxC cards (no CF slot) and run at speeds up to the 95 MB/sec. range? I have two of the Lexar USB 3.0 dual-slot readers, but they are not appropriate for this purpose as the drive letters for the two types of cards are obviously different. Thanks.

EBH

May 18, 2013 at 01:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SDxC Only Reader

currently I know of no SDxx readers that are what would be referred to as high performance especially at the speeds you are enquiring about.

the best performance I have ever gotten out of a SDxx reader was the one built into my laptop. it is a direct PCIe hookup. using a 95MB/s Ext Pro sandisk card it mustered an avg 65MB/s and out of an extreme it did 39MB/s. this is fairly impressive for SDxx. but at this point its still hard to take SDxx seriously when you use the word performance in the same sentence.

May 18, 2013 at 04:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SDxC Only Reader

I found a reader that is close enough. The Transcend RDF5 reads at full speed (>90MB/sec.) with the Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-1. It has a small slot for the micro SD xx cards, but that is just a separate set of contacts so there are no extra drive letters. The only possible complaint is that the slots are on the side, so a protruding card might block another port in some configurations. For less that $10 it's hard not to like this reader.

BTW, some background is that the internal reader in my laptop does not like the UHS-1 cards for some strange reason. For example, a 95MB/sec. card only reads in the low 20MBs/sec., whereas a 45x card reads at clsoe to 60 MB/sec.

EBH

May 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SDxC Only Reader

we'll see. I take a dive too

May 29, 2013 at 07:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SDxC Only Reader

Transcend RDF5:
took the dive and just got it. on a USB3 port on my sager i7 laptop it delivered avg 32MB/s using a samsung pro 80r/40w 64GB card. using a sandisk 95MB/s 32GB ext pro card it delivered 32MB/s too. my internal reader still puts it to shame at over 70MB/s but its nicely sized and priced for portability but as I have found with most transcend stuff long on promise short on reality.

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.