Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

karmaportrait

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

Hi all, how do you handle it when kids ask for photos you took of them?

I'm sure you've all had this happen but it's new to me.

Basically, I'm doing surf photography and I'm the only one on the island who regularly gets into the water and produces high quality shots. I'd like to get paid for this work. I gave my card to a kid today, no more than 10 years old, while I was out shooting (waterproof business cards!) and he called me up asking about photos. I can tell he's super stoked about it, probably just going to put up on his facebook. Normally I'd charge $10US per shot to a tourist, but a local kid I'm stuck over it. What I don't want is to be the guy who hands out free photos to groms, but at at the same time I don't think I'd feel "right" in telling this kid to pay up on the full price.

Thanks so much!

May 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

Welcome. I don't know anything about the relative value of $10 US where you are dealing with this. If you feel it is too much to ask of this kid, consider offering a low-res, web-only version of the image for a lower price. Provide him with an assortment of purchasing options ranging from the least expensive (whatever you feel is fair for the web image) to most expensive (high-resolution image file from which he could produce a Fathead quality wall hanging) and including small and large prints as options. Come up with a package deal whereby you provide multiple images (assuming you are shooting more than one of each surfer) for a price that's lower than paying full price for that number of images (whether web-sized or prints). Might not work for this kid, but if you figure he won't be the last to ask, you might as well have a plan in mind. You could include the information on the back of your waterproof card!

Oh, and I'd consider watermarking your images that you provide, at low cost, for web use.

May 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

karmaportrait wrote:
no more than 10 years old,

Russ's advice is excellent for the broad based scheme of things and will resolve your issue in general terms but every now and then look past the anti free photo dogma (not that Russ is promoting that) and take a reality check. He's under 10 years old.

Toss a kid a free photo every now and then geez...

On a side note, I make it a point to never give a card to anyone who appears to be under the age of 18 for many reasons. The least being, most of them don't have any money and they will contact you for free photos. When approached by a minor I ask to meet their coach or parents and give the card them.

Thanks,
Marty

May 17, 2013 at 03:25 PM
RyanL
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

Watermark your image, put them on facebook, and people will tag themselves and others. It gets your name out there. As an example, I shot middle school track last week, posted to my facebook business page, shared with the school track page (after shooting HS, MS is ugghh painful. lol). I had a parent want 6 images Everytime I put a set on facebook though, I have parents asking about prints. It doesnt really add up to much, compared to my T&I. But I do get some Senior sessions, sports referrals, etc from it. I think this last set had over 3000 views in a week. Pretty good number for a smaller school. Once someone starts sharing your photos, others will follow. You would probably do even better if you were at competition or whatever they have for Surf. I wouldn't give my photos away because hes a young kid and doesn't 10 bucks. Mom has an extra 10 laying around.

May 17, 2013 at 04:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

RyanL wrote:
Watermark your image, put them on facebook, and people will tag themselves and others. It gets your name out there. As an example, I shot middle school track last week, posted to my facebook business page, shared with the school track page (after shooting HS, MS is ugghh painful. lol). I had a parent want 6 images Everytime I put a set on facebook though, I have parents asking about prints. It doesnt really add up to much, compared to my T&I. But I do get some Senior sessions, sports referrals, etc from it. I think this last set had
...Show more

I agree totally (if i can add my 2 cents) I started shooting football for my son's team just for fun at first 2 years ago, posting about 10% of the shots on the Facebook team's page with a watermark and my phone number. It didn't take long before the first parents started calling me, even those who's sons weren't on the pictures. It quickly got to the point where the parents came up to me before each games asking if i either had a shot of their kids or would take one during the game. It was getting sort of confusing having to remember which player to isolate on the field, with so many kids running around everywhere on the field. So what i did was start to take notes on my iPhone, then and i started bringing the iPad to the field. Arriving a little ahead of game start folks would look at the previous game shots and give me orders for prints which they entered themselves on the iPad with their phone numbers, number of the shot desired etc. So before each game i would hand out the glossy 8x10s in envelopes which i sold for 10$/each. I sold on average for 100-150$ worth of prints at each game. Sometimes i would get phone calls from visiting team parents who had seen shots they wanted on Facebook. I paid for some of my rig this way, but most importantly i really started to get recognized in the league and when i would travel to games in the surrounding cities folks would ask me if i were the guy posting the nice shots on Facebook and they would ask for my services when i answered yes. That was my real reward :-)

May 20, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

As a practice....if I am shooting a game and I happen to get a shot of a kid hitting a HR...whether in youth, HS or college....I will print a 5x7 and give it to him/her with my card included.

If I am asked I will send them a reduced resolution image watermarked somewhere on the image. This doesn't happen too often where they ask....maybe 3-4 times a year.

From last year...it lead to the parents of two of the athletes purchasing additional prints and 16x20 posters from me.

May 20, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

Besides the economic issue of giving away your work for free, i seem to recall from shooting my son's team in college that giving prints (or anything) to players is an issue for the NCAA.

May 21, 2013 at 02:34 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question: Kid(s) asking for photos

have the kid be your sales man and have him hand out cards. Maybe help 'Pay" him for his time with pics you took. I would also be sure to get parental permission. He probably knows the surfers, may give you an edge!. love barbados, great Island.

May 21, 2013 at 02:49 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password