Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

I finally took the plunge and removed the Tripod collar and have started to leave the hood home when hikes are expected to be shaded. Previously I was using 300 f4 IS for this purpose, but in this with a op tech hood sock, the 300 2.8 IS is light enough. My understanding is that the front element on 300 2.8 IS V1 is protective element anyhow so worst case it may be a $250 repair from canon.

Would like to hear from experience of others if they use the 300 f2.8 IS in similar way OR if this is a very bad idea! Would prefer not to use Don Zeck's cap as loosing them @ $50 a pop gets expensive quickly The $2 substitute, Rubbermaid 5152 like is not made anymore

May 16, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

I wouldn't do that with my lens. I have a 120mm plastic lens cap from B&H that works well and only costs $18.

Kaiser KALC120 Push-On Lens Cap

May 17, 2013 at 07:31 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

thedutt wrote:
I finally took the plunge and removed the Tripod collar and have started to leave the hood home when hikes are expected to be shaded. Previously I was using 300 f4 IS for this purpose, but in this with a op tech hood sock, the 300 2.8 IS is light enough. My understanding is that the front element on 300 2.8 IS V1 is protective element anyhow so worst case it may be a $250 repair from canon.

Would like to hear from experience of others if they use the 300 f2.8 IS in similar way OR if this is
...Show more
I used something like a Rubbermaid. The cover works just right as a lens cap and the container with the bottom cut off gives me a 2 inch hood that also protects the front of the lens. It works great, cost me 4 dollars and has served well for over two years now in very adverse conditions. This is on my 200L f2.

May 17, 2013 at 07:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

I have several Zeck caps, the Rubbermaid, Kaiser, and also the Optech cover. The Zeck is far and away the best for me. It's very strong and does not fall off. The handle makes it easy to use even with the hood on.

EBH

May 17, 2013 at 09:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

I use Zeck caps with no handles (which allows you to stand the lens on its nose), and LensCoat Hoodies that are generally used over the hood when walking around in poor weather. In heavy rain, I use something else.

May 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #6 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

I would say a lens like the 300 2.8 should be used as often as you can. I would have no problem using the lens without the hood / tripod attachment. That is one large advantage to the mark I...you can change the front element for a nominal fee if something happens to it.

May 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #7 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

jcolwell wrote:
I use Zeck caps with no handles (which allows you to stand the lens on its nose), and LensCoat Hoodies that are generally used over the hood when walking around in poor weather. In heavy rain, I use something else.

The Don Zeck cap with no handle, does it have punch holes on it? (Just as if you remove the handle yourself.)

I used to have one with handle for my 300/2.8L IS. I sold it along with the lens. Now, I have a 200/2L IS that I'm looking to get another cap from Don Zeck, but would be interested in one with no handle if it doesn't have punch holes on it. Thanks.

May 17, 2013 at 03:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

Wahoowa wrote:
The Don Zeck cap with no handle, does it have punch holes on it? (Just as if you remove the handle yourself.)

I used to have one with handle for my 300/2.8L IS. I sold it along with the lens. Now, I have a 200/2L IS that I'm looking to get another cap from Don Zeck, but would be interested in one with no handle if it doesn't have punch holes on it. Thanks.

Yes, it still has holes for the plastic rivets that normally hold on the handle. If you ask Don Zeck to not attach the handle when you order the cap, then he'll plug the holes with the same type of plastic rivets that normally attach the handle. You still get the handle and some unused rivets, if you later decide you want to attach it. You could ask Don for a cap with no holes, but I suspect he makes a whole batch at one time, and so any on hand are probably holey. It's worth sending an email, as he's very helpful. He even put on a special run for FM owners of the 200/1.8L, a few years ago. You can reach him at donzeck 'at' comcast.net

The rivets are low profile, but they aren't helpful at all when you want to put the capped lens nose-down on a flat surface. So, I cut the rivets off my Zeck caps, and then cover the outside surface with gaffers tape. This covers the holes and also makes for a softer and quieter landing when you put it down on a hard surface, like a hardwood or ceramic tile floor. I'd still cover it with gaffer's tape even if it had no holes. Here's a photo of the Zeck on my 300/2.8L IS.

Cheers, Jim

May 17, 2013 at 04:49 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

i'd keep the hood and lose the collar, although if you are careful and don't mind some extra flare....

May 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #10 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

+1 for Don Zeck!!! Awesome!

May 18, 2013 at 04:03 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #11 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

That is such a big front element that I would like the protection of the hood. Gravity sucks at times and while hiking we cannot always have complete control of our feet. If the lens cap (Don Zeck, etc) is thrown in the pack and is not on is when accidents happen (go figure). That front element is big and collects a lot of light and by having the hood will keep the front shaded in most situations resulting in better image quality.

For me shedding the what minor weight of the hood may end up later causing me from using the lens while it is being repaired.
Patrick

May 20, 2013 at 07:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

My Zeck caps all had the handle pre-installed.

EBH

May 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 300 2.8 IS w/o hood & tripod color removed on hike

EB-1 wrote:
My Zeck caps all had the handle pre-installed.

EBH

That's the normal situation. You have to ask at the time of ordering to get them without the handle installed.

May 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password