Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Anand Pichumani
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

I am planning to visit Race Track Playa at Death Valley for the first time. I am planning on being there for couple days this Memorial Day weekend, for Sunrise and Sunset. No Astro photography yet.

I mainly want to know about the weather this time of the year. While the weather sites say its around 80F, is it going to be too hot? Is it safe at this time of the year?

I appreciate any other tips like lighting during this time, specific spots that I can visit etc.

Thanks,
Anand

May 16, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Other than it will be packed, DV is gorgeous any day of the year. If it's your first time there, don't pressure yourself. Scout the locations during the day and make sure to be there way before sunrise and at sunset.
Don't forget to post your pictures!
Fred

May 16, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Hi Anand,
Its may get hot, but you're at much higher elevation than the valley...last time i was there... there was some snow in the hills surrounding the playa. There is not much shade there, so plan for that. The road is rough, suv would work out better, some people have done that drive in a car, but i wouldn't recommend it.

it also gets windy there, cell service is spotty. Carry extra clothing, and other safety material (tire patch, jack, food, water etc)

To be there for sunrise, you'll have to leave EARLY (wherever you're staying)...and to stay till sunset...bring your reading material. There isn't much to do around there once you've had your fill of shooting the rocks

May 16, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Anand Pichumani
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Thank you Fred & Sunny Sra.

Yes I am planning on being there very early for sunrise and stay up till sunset.

May 16, 2013 at 04:33 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

There is no point spending there the entire day. I would do it other way around - come for a sunset, spend the night (there is camping available nearby unless you can sleep in your car), shoot sunrise, and leave. On a way back you can visit Scotty's Castle, it's a delightful location.

As usually in a desert, it may get hot during the day (still cooler than in the rest of the DV, due to elevation) but cold in the night, so come prepared.

Driving there takes about 2 hours one way after leaving paved road. Some parts of the drive are good enough to go at 20 mph, and some are such premium washboard that 5 mph seems too fast. High clearance is a must, 4wd may be useful if you decide to drive to the southern part of the Playa (were most rocks are located) or to the campground, as that part of the road is sandy. If you do not have 4wd, you can just park at the first pullout and take a walk.

Bring extra full size tire (as regular spare will not last long), or at least a couple of fix-a-flats, food and plenty of water, just in case. Deflating your tires will make this drive easier but then you will need to bring a compressor. Let the rangers know you are going but do not count on them coming to help you, this road is not maintained or patrolled, you are completely on your own.

There are Jeeps available for rent, too.

On a way to the Playa, you will be driving through a photogenic Joshua tree forest.
You can also bring a tea kettle to hang at Teakettle Junction

Have a fun trip!
Sasha.

May 16, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Anand Pichumani
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Sasha,

Thanks for the tips. I will consider doing sunset to sunrise.

Anand

May 16, 2013 at 05:32 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

This is not at all an ideal time to go to Death Valley. It is likely to be extremely hot by this time. Yes, the Racetrack Playa is a few thousand feet higher that the lowest points in the park, but it is still a very hot/arid place during the warm months. Contrary to an earlier post, it will most certainly not get "cold" there at night at the end of May, and it will most certainly be quite to very hot in the daytime.

If you can visit at a different time, I would change my plans if I were you.

The drive does not require 4WD in normal conditions, though good tires and high clearance are very important. Contrary to an earlier post, the section at the end to the southern area of the playa and the campground a bit further on is not a very challenging portion of the drive. Those come much sooner along on the route and are mostly due to very bad washboard surface and deeply rutted sections where you could high center your vehicle.

Dan

Edited on May 16, 2013 at 06:52 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Anand Pichumani
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Thanks for the input Dan.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I am afraid this is the only chance I am going to get to do this. I will mostly likely not be in this part of the country for quite sometime.

Anand

May 16, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

I pretty much agree with most of what has been said. Just a couple of thoughts.

If you are not familiar with the road I would recommend against driving it in the dark the first time. Arriving before sunset, staying at the Homestake camping area at the end of the road, and returning the next morning sounds like the best idea.

If you have a passenger car with typical "P" rated tire, I would NOT air them down and I would keep the speed way down. If you have a good offroad vehicle with "LT" tires you would be in much better shape. I'll also stress having food and lots of water.

Don't expect any cell service (although some networks have spots of service). Consider renting a SPOT GPS device if you are concerned about a breakdown. At least the Racetrack is likely to get some traffic at this time of year.

Art

May 16, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Great point on driving for sunset and spending the night there. I'm planning on doing this next time I visit this location.
If the sky is clear and moonless, it's a great opportunity for astro shots!
Fred

May 16, 2013 at 08:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Older Fossil wrote:
If you have a passenger car with typical "P" rated tire, I would NOT air them down and I would keep the speed way down.

Exactly.

The amount of odd and sometimes misleading information about places like the Racetrack is sometimes significant. The advice to lower the pressure in tires depends a lot on the tires and the vehicle.

The advice to keep the speed down, even is more capable vehicles is good advice. This is especially true for folks who are not accustomed to driving roads like this one, who sometimes see a few other drivers going very fast and imagine that this is how it is done. Usually it isn't, and if you do go fast you increase the odds of a blowout and a small skid or other driving error can become a disaster faster than you can scream, "No!"

It is not a very technical road, though it is long (55 mile round trip) and very badly washboarded in places and in others deeply rutted, such that you'll have to pick your way through some sections.

While you might well encounter a fair number of other folks out here in the normal (e.g. - cool) season, in the summer it is more likely that you'll be more alone. It is unlikely that you would be abandoned out there with no one else coming by, but if you get into trouble it is going to take some time to get things sorted out.

And, most important, when you go to the Racetrack you will be sad and disappointed to see some of the damage caused by other thoughtless visitors...

Dan

May 16, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

gdanmitchell wrote:
This is not at all an ideal time to go to Death Valley. It is likely to be extremely hot by this time. Yes, the Racetrack Playa is a few thousand feet higher that the lowest points in the park, but it is still a very hot/arid place during the warm months. Contrary to an earlier post, it will most certainly not get "cold" there at night at the end of May, and it will most certainly be quite to very hot in the daytime.

If you can visit at a different time, I would change my plans if I were
...Show more

I have only been there once,but agree totally with this assessment,,definitely need to do the road with SUV or jeep. its too difficult and next to impossible in anything else..also,be weary that a blown tire can occur too..And,,it will be hot,,,,I am not sure as far as crowds go,,though because the europeans seemed to go in the summer also,,,BRING LOTS OF WATER....its about a half mile to the moving rocks on the far side of the plateau and with the heat,,be careful..

May 16, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

I have not made this trip. I saw the road and decided against it with standard street tires. Spend the $200 and rent a Jeep which has been set up for this area and includes tires which are resistant to sidewall cuts from sharp rocks. The vast majority of those of drive this road with standard tires do fine, but you don't want to be one of those who is unlucky.

May 16, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Camperjim wrote:
I have not made this trip. I saw the road and decided against it with standard street tires. Spend the $200 and rent a Jeep which has been set up for this area and includes tires which are resistant to sidewall cuts from sharp rocks. The vast majority of those of drive this road with standard tires do fine, but you don't want to be one of those who is unlucky.

EXACTLY

May 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Last time when I went there I used my rental Ford Escape. It was fine driving Escape, but still you will need to slow down considerably. Yes, going there for sunset, meaning driving daylight, and stay overnight, do some night shooting, then sunrise shooting. Driving back also will be during daylight.

I was really disappointed that the anticipated rocks were really small in size and not many either. Yes, I was really mad that people disrupted the rocks apparently. However I am sure you will manage to have good shots with some wonderful composition!

Good luck!

Kee

May 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Jglaser757 wrote:
...because the europeans seemed to go in the summer also...

That is a source of bemusement and puzzlement to many of us who live not too far away and who go to and photograph Death Valley a lot. The idea that anyone would choose to visit during the absurdly hot season when the winter season is so much more beautiful and more comfortable is simply baffling.

I understand, from what I've been told, that some visitors from distant places want to experience the famous, God-awful heat.

Weird... ;-)

Dan

May 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

That time of year you need two things: water and shade. Neither exist naturally there so be prepared to bring your own.

Mornings and evenings will be fine that time of year, the middle of the day will still be rather hot at that elevation. If you bring water and shade with you, no problem. If you try to do a lot of ambitious hiking and don't have enough water at mid-day you will be in trouble.

I would strongly recommend following the advice of spending the night out there. You probably don't want to do the drive both ways in the dark. It is a long drive as well and you don't want to be rushing to get there before sunrise or rushing back after a long tiring day. And you'll never get a good sunrise shot without scouting it in the light first.

Do Scotty's Castle first thing in the morning. Take a leisurely drive out mid-day. Take a little time to find the campground as you will be returning to it in the dark after your shoot and the road does branch a few times at that end of the valley.

Explore the playa. It will be hot, but not lethally so at that elevation. Bring plenty of water - and drink it even if you don't feel you need to. Bring an umbrella - you will want the shade. You've got two sunset times to photograph, and they are actually a few hours apart. Lowest angle direct light on the playa, gives great relief and shadows and happens quite a bit before sunset - the mountains nearby are quite high. Second, twilight and deep twilight when the sky is nice. These two periods will be separated by a couple hours probably. Fortunately this in between period the playa is in shade and is quite pleasant (if you are drinking plenty of fluids and dressed appropriately).

Go to camp, get a good nights rest. Come back in the morning and take your morning shots. Make a leisurely drive.

Will it be hot, uncomfortable, dangerous? Not really possible to answer well. Problem one is weather varies a lot out there, 20F variation in the daily high is not unusual for that time of year. Could be really pleasant, could be quite warm.

More importantly, the largest variable in comfort and safety is you...

You can tell who seasoned, experienced Mojave desert hikers are. They have light colored, light weight long sleeved shirts. They have light colored, light weight long pants. All clothing is cotton. They have the largest sun hats imaginable. They carry umbrellas. They carry plenty of water.

Unfortunately no outdoor company makes anything at all appropriate as such - it is all geared for wet climates and made from materials that are typically too dark (absorb too much heat, often even the lightest available colors these days as outdoor fashion has gone saturated earth tone), too heavy (marketing calls it durable, desert hikers call it heat stroke), the wrong materials (vapor transport is the key to heat management in the Mojave, all outdoor gear these days is made with synthetics to protect from hypothermia in summer mountain climates - totally wrong for the Mojave where you want maximum vapor flow from your skin to manage heat) and often short sleeved. The physics of sleeve and pant length in the Mojave is simple - all skin covered in light weight, light colored cotton. Even if you have a fair complexion like me the amount of heat transport into your body from solar radiation directly on your skin is significantly higher than when reflected from a light colored fabric covering the skin. As long as said fabric is loose fitting and has good vapor transport (i.e cotton) you are far better off with long sleeves and long pants. Short sleeves and short pants would of course be excellent if you were in the shade - which unfortunately there is none of in the Mojave. And an umbrella is absolutely wonderful - like air conditioning - as portable shade but it also can get windy out there in which case all body covering clothing is the only good option.

So, imagine two people walking onto the playa at noon.

One is dressed as above and drinks lots of water. His skin will be dry but actually enormous amounts of water are directly evaporating from his pores keeping him cool. He is replenishing that water by drinking, making sure he is drinking enough that he is peeing regularly. His skin temperature is low because it isn't in direct sunlight (under light colored long sleeves) and can evaporatively cool with efficient vapor transport (loose fitting, light weight, cotton). Wind permitting he deploys his umbrella and is constantly aware of its position relative to the sun to maximize the amount of his body under shade. He is comfortable, can stay and explore indefinitely and is the definition of a "happy camper".

The other is wearing black synthetic running shorts and a orange short sleeve running/biking/hiking or other "technical" shirt made of synthetics (market as "breathable" but in fact vapor transport way below that of cotton) - the latest and greatest "hot weather" outdoor gear from REI. And he wears a baseball cap. He carries a half liter bottle of water with him. This person is uncomfortably hot within ten minutes. He has way to high a solar load on his exposed skin for even wide open pores to keep things cool enough. Under his shirt things are worse, especially if he exerts himself at all. The orange color absorbs too much solar radiation and the synthetic material doesn't transport enough moisture. His skin under the shirt is wet and sweaty - a sure sign heat and vapor transport are compromised. He actually doesn't feel thirsty at all yet, and saves his half liter for later. Nonetheless, his body is already dehydrating and as a result staring to shut pores that further reduce cooling and he gets more and more uncomfortable. In a more extreme case he is at risk of more than just his comfort.

Two people, same place, same time, same physical fitness. One is safe and comfortable, the other not at all. And the one that is unhappy has done what in his mind is actually pretty sensible (expensive outdoor clothing supposedly meant for this environment and common sense measures like short sleeves - and heck, he's never seen someone in an outdoor magazine or REI catalog carrying an umbrella).

Anyway - that was really long winded. Sorry. The point is, if you think it through, do some planning, center your itinerary around a safe drive and spending your outdoor times in the evening, night and morning as well as preparing (clothing, water) you should have a really fun time. On the other extreme if the weather is hotter than normal and you combine doing some unwise things with some bad luck you could be in big trouble. In between those two extremes are a lot of uncomfortable but survivable options. That's why you will find widely varying opinions and advice on your trip!

I really hope you enjoy it out there. It is a beautiful place. I will mention that the rocks have been rather static for a few years with the tracks getting fainter (at least as of March and I don't think any weather that would change that has come through since). So as far as compositions go you'll need to look for the fresher tracks and try to emphasize the slowly fading relief of the tracks.

May 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Anand Pichumani
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

Thanks you all for the much needed advice.

I will be renting a Jeep as suggested and will spend the night there.

Lots of water, light colored clothing and full sleeves it is!

Anand

May 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

gdanmitchell wrote:
That is a source of bemusement and puzzlement to many of us who live not too far away and who go to and photograph Death Valley a lot. The idea that anyone would choose to visit during the absurdly hot season when the winter season is so much more beautiful and more comfortable is simply baffling.

I understand, from what I've been told, that some visitors from distant places want to experience the famous, God-awful heat.

Weird... ;-)

Dan

Yes but summers are the best time to capture the Milky Way!

May 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need info on Death Valley - Race Track Playa

kwalsh wrote:
The point is, if you think it through, do some planning, center your itinerary around a safe drive and spending your outdoor times in the evening, night and morning as well as preparing (clothing, water) you should have a really fun time.

I'm the guy in the cotton (or cotton/synthetic blend) light long-sleeve shirt, long pants, and wide brimmed hat and dark glasses, plenty of sun-screen* and lip balm, well-hydrated, and generally preferring to do the hard work in the early morning hours. I'm not the guy in the shorts and t-shirt and running shoes, wandering about on a playa in the middle of the day along with the mad dogs and Englishmen.

I still don't go to DEVA in the summer - perhaps because I know what it is like and that there are better times to go. :-)

Dan

*Technically, the low elevation desert terrain of a place like Death Valley is, in some ways and counterintuitively, less of a sunburn risk than cooler high elevation places. On the other hand, there is less (or no) shade and a lot of reflected light.

May 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.